Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Faris
United States
Edgewood
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have started a monthly game night group with our friends. Everyone is really into it. They are starting to spread the word about game night. I have been stopped on many occassions in public by friends of friends telling me that they have heard about game night.

Our group mainly plays party type of games. We do not do hard core euro games. I think everyone enjoys getting together just laugh.

Have you all run into the problems of having core game night members, but wanting to invite new blood into the group? How have you handle this? Do you expand your game night attendees or expand the number of game nights?
What is the optimal number of people at a game night gathering?

What are your thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it when we have around 12 gamers cos that means three tables of four. An extra person means one table can play a big 5 player which ain't bad so yeah, I like the variety three tables affords as I dislike some games others like and vice versa (one table would definitely mean no Antike for example unfortunately)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kelley
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We have recently started a game night on the first and third Fridays of each month. On the first Friday we play "light" games like Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, etc. On the third Friday we play "more strategic" games like Puerto Rico and Power Grid. This gives the newer folks a chance to become acquainted with Eurogaming before jumping into the more complex games. The people who are just there for the social aspects usually show up for the first Friday, and the "geeks" show up for both.

It has worked well so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cook
United States
Billings
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are doing just party games, I'd keep the number fairly small as people who play party games are more into the social aspect. I don't think breaking the group into smaller groups would work that well. I usually like to have 4-8 people over for party games. Much more than that, it's hard to include everybody.

If you have a large group, I'd also include family games as well. If they're open to designer games, I'd throw those in too. But I'd keep them light. (I have turned off too many friends by introducing too 'heavy' of games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Faris
United States
Edgewood
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What are some examples of heavy games? What are some examples of designer games?

We have played Bang!. What type of game is this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mostly i would say irregular

although we often get spontaneous game nighst with only 3 or 4 players a reall proper game day tackes some organising but we can sometimes splash to 8 or 9 on those rare occasions its just possible theer will be 2 full organised game days in october YAYY!

Walker Red Eye

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really blessed to be in an area with a lot of gamers of different persuasions. So I don't really have a problem getting people together for games. Getting new people is not that difficult either. I'd say my demographic breaks down like this, sexual orientation thrown in for fun:

Core Group: 1 Straight Couple (male-female), 1 gay boy, 1 straight girl with boyfriend tagging along for certain games (TA, Tichu, T2R stuff). Female in couple prefers lighter gamers but will play anything once. The rest of us run the gambit from Med-Heavy to Light. (Advanced Civ was the heaviest we've gotten.)

Extended Group: 1 Straight Couple (male-female), 1 Open relationship couple (bisexual female, straight male), 1 Polyamorous couple (both bisexual), 1 married couple, 1 transgendered female, 2 gay men, and 1 single straight woman. More of an "intellectual" gaming crowd that enjoys games from Zendo to Carcassone.

Social Group: 3 gay boys, 2 straight women, and other assorted San Francisco types. Games like Bang!, Werewolf, Citadels, Bohnanza, Killer Bunnies... any game with heavy negotiation, bluffing, social interactions is their style.

The ages range from 23 to 51, but mostly hover around 30.

When we have game nights or weekends, I'll usually extend the invitation to the core group and branch out when needed. The size of my space can support 2 games comfortably, three if I have my best friend bring an extra table. (A 25 player game of Werewolf fits in my space.) So space dictates the number of players you can have.

A typical games day will run like this:

Early, faster and lighter games. They're warm ups.
Then we'll play medium heavier games through the afternoon.
We'll end with light games as a cool down.

If it's a night, it'll usually be something like:
Frank's Zoo
Princes of Florence
Cloud 9

A warm up, a meaty game, and then a cool down.

Also, most people who have only played party type games are usually willing to try new games. You just have to introduce some and see what happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I belong to three groups, with plenty of overlap.

The first group is a bunch of role-players that try to get together every other week to play. The group hasn't met in ages, because we moved and things hadn't settled down enough for my wive to invite them back. That changes on Saturday, when we'll start a new campaign.

The second group is a bunch of wargamers that gets together every Friday evening at Game Parlor of Chantilly. We play miniatures and board war games, but also play other games when time and spce isn't available to play a war game.

The third group meets evey Saturday evening at Nova Comics of Springfield. We play Eurogames mostly, but just about every kind of multi-player game hits the table occasionaly. We stick to multiplayer games becuase we have 12 or more players most days, and only room for three or four tables. Some people have come earlier to play two player games, mostly of the wargame variety.

If you are having friends over, I'd suggest the gaming model of our Nova Comics group. As people show up, they decide on a game and start playing it. The host should provide some games to be played, and others can bring games they would like to play. You could set up one game, usually a new one, for people to play at one table. You could even have a theme for a night.

I find that 12 is a good number. 3 table of four works very well. That being said, just about any number will work, up to the table capacity of the venue. If you only have 12 members, you will rarely get 12 at any one session due to "real life" intrusions. It seems to work out best when you allow compatible people to come over and play, they will generally self-limit themselves to a comfortable number.

One thing, you must be willing to ask some people to leave and never return. Just one obnoxious player can ruin a game for everyone. One pain in the posterior individual can effect the whole group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
We meet Mondays. Anyone can show up and anyone can bring a game and suggest we play it. Usually people bring more games they might not really want to play that night but if someone else wants to play they can borrow it. Usually at least 12 people attend, so you can usually find a game you want to play. We play mostly medium and heavy Euros, some light, but not really party games. Sometimes a few people play a quick war game. In principle you can bring any game you want and if you can find one or two other people interested you can play it, but if you brought Monopoly you probably wouldn't find an opponent, so in that way the group maintains an identity in terms of the games played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
ericfaris wrote:
We have played Bang!. What type of game is this?

Bang is extremely light.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa Gilmer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I've recently gotten into board games. So far my game nights include hours on BGG, hours making tuck boxes and fiddling with the games I've bought but have no one to play with. Occasionally I can guilt my husband into playing, but not often.

I've recently joined a local gaming group. So far 3 days of game play have been cancelled. I'm hoping it picks up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Donnell
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been really fortunate as far as game nights go. We, me and the Mrs, started having one on the first Friday of each month and its gotten so popular that we now have them on the first and third Friday of each month. The first Friday tends towards lighter game - Settlers, etc, while the third Friday regularly sees heavier games - Twilight Imperium 3ed, etc. One of serveral versions of Scene It! is usually in progress as well as D&D Minis at the same time. Its worked really well so far. Just put out some drinks, snacks and games and be prepared to get overrun. If things keep going at the rate they have been we'll have to get a bigger place - we're averaging about fifteen players a game night plus non-gaming friends, dates and spouses...

Chaz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperFantasticGamingHour (SFGH) is a hodge-podge. We meet once a month, sometimes more, sometimes on Friday, sometimes on Saturday. We meet either in far NE Oklahoma City (but not in Edmond), far NW Oklahoma City (but not in Piedmont), SW OKC and far far south in Norman.

We've had as few as 4 and as many as 35 show up. We do have a core of gamers (including one grognard) but folks are always willing to invite new folks and we do have non-gamers getting dragged in from time to time. The group does change depending on the location, some folks just can't drive 40 miles to game (PANSIES!) So far we've never had to request that someone leave and never come back (Although Ed DID leave, we never asked him to. Hi, Ed!).

We do have some variable considerations, depending on where we are playing. We discourage adult beverages at my house, three locations have cats, two locations have smallish children, and I think Tim no longer allows folks to urinate in the front lawn (no word if the back yard is off limits).

Some months we do plan for a big game like Bloodbath in NY or TI3, but usually we play stuff that lasts less than 2hours.

There is also a FLGS that has gaming on Thursdays and then longer games on Saturdays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Pfeiffer
United States
Surfside Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what part of the world are you from? Maybe you can find others who might be interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
well, i consider myself very fortunate, as i have a 3 other close friends that are also really into gaming. So along with my and myself, we often have a solid 5 players.

We started with the typical settlers and than onto puerto rico.

We've been getting together on a weekly, to bi-monthly basis for over a year now. We typically play anywhere from 3-5 games in a night. Typically including a filler or two and a few mid to heavy weight games, such as caylus or powergrid.

The best part of my group is that we are all open to most game types, even though everyone has their favorites we play everything. Secondly, since we typically all learn games at the same time, our skill levels are often on the same level, thus we don't see a lot of balance issues that a lot of others seem to complain about, especially in the case of say puerto rico.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwsparks
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
When the bullet hits the bone!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in a regular Monday-night group.

It started irregularly about 18 months ago, and once we settled into a regular schedule, it seemed to work well.

For the first eight months or so, we had a regular group of five people, which is often the perfect number for Euro games. We played lots of the DoW games, Carc (+ expansions), Alhambra, as well as Cosmic Encounter, Dune, Arkham Horror, Fury of Dracula, Descent, and Roborally. So I guess we're all over the map, game-wise.

We've added some new members and typically split into two tables, sometimes starting or finishing with a filler game (like Diamant or Bohnanza). This week we had simultaneous games of Caylus and Puerto Rico going on, so I think we pretty much had that Boardgamegeek-meter pegged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I host a weekly Tuesday night gaming session. We have anywhere from four to ten players attending out of a total pool of a couple dozen locals. We've built up from a handful of ASLers into a pretty diverse group.

We play wargames and Euros, with most players comfortable in either sphere, though a couple hardcore ideologues remain entrenched in their particular niches. Matches are often set up in advance, particular ASL scenarios, but otherwise we make the call on a given night once the numbers settle, picking a game that suits the breakdown.

Multiplayer games run the gamut from very light (Bang, Royal Turf) to pretty heavy (T & E, Here I Stand). We have a setup where I can tuck up to three games away for safekeeping - very handy for longer games, especially wargames and ASL campaigns.

If you're ever spinning through New York City, drop me a line and we'll save you a seat!

JR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, that's a complex question!

I participate in four different groups, aside from gaming with friends.

The biggest group has (just checked) 188 members, though some of those are people who have joined and never appeared, didn't like it, whatever. The group used to meet twice a month, plus some usually small impromptu meetings. The firm schedule for now is once a month 10am-10pm in a 150 capacity public meeting hall we get free from the local water district. This meeting has just shifted to Sunday, so I'm not sure exactly how many we're going to get: the RSVP count is 38, but the venue is so big (and everyone knows it) so some may not RSVP. I'll guess it's going to be near 50--I could be underestimating!

The big group has so many people you can find a game of anything, pretty much: Light games, heavy games. Mostly it's Euros, with some train games, war games, and classics like Diplomacy. What you don't find much is repeat plays: a couple in a row, rarely. The group is good at gently introducing people to gaming and Eurogames especially. We usually start them out with something like Trans America, then move sideways to Guillotine or Circus Flohcati, or up to Thurn & Taxis, Settlers, Blue Moon City, Alhambra when they get comfortable. But we play heavies like E&T, PR, Caylus--Tempus is popular currently.

The group I'm most closely involved with meets every other Saturday in the local library community room, 12-5 (and thinking about going longer) then break for dinner and game in the resturant's back room often until they close at midnight. We've been running around 15, and our capacity is 40+. We're expanding. Our gaming is pretty much like the big group, though we're still honing our teaching skills and game collections for beginners. We also have a small RPG contingent.

Another very local group has met in another library community room, but the room requires one sign up at a time, so it hasn't worked well as a regular thing. They also meet at someone's home weekly, Tuesday nights. I haven't been to one of those but will in a couple weeks. I'm not sure what their attendance is. They typically play Euros.

The last group is a little bit away. They meet weekly Wednesday night at someone's home, 5:30-11 or so, 7-9 people (9 is their max). They typically run a couple Euros at a time. They also have a monthly meeting at (guess!) a third library community room, Saturdays 12-5. They run around 10, but this will probably increase with time. They mostly play Euros and train games, from what I hear, but they also have themes to attract new players. One theme was Monopoly: I suspect, suck them in with Monopoly, then show them a real game. As soon as their monthly meetings stop conflicting with my group's biweekly meetings, I'll be there.

If I went to everything, I'd be gaming about 3 days a week, over 20 hours a week.

So that's what it's like: what should it be? I think, as many people as you can stand, at least a couple times a month. The more people you have, the less it matters what a given person wants, because people who want to play a particular kind of game can do so, either with the usual suspects or floaters who like different kinds of games. (We have a few people who only really like train games, but they can find players.)

You also spread the cost of games around: even in the smaller meetings, we have something like 50 games we rotate through. I got the SdJ nominee Blue Moon City and the winner Thurn & Taxis; someone else got the new Tempus; someone else will get China Rails hot off the press, I'm sure. Of the top 10 BGG games, I only own PR and Ra, but I've played all but two--I passed on Die Macher, and haven't gotten to C&C:A yet. As I page down the BGG list, I've played about half of them, though I only own a few more of the top 100. And you may get a guy who buys everything, or an expert game explainer, so you can learn anything easily. It's all good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark camp
United States
Lesser Binghamton Area
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just started hosting game nights twice a month for the last three months or so. Attendance currently ranges from 4-7, but I would welcome more. We originally were in a small space that didn't allow for splitting, so we mixed up what we played depending on the number of players and time available. Generally, a couple fillers get played early and maybe at the end, Bohnanza or Wits and Wagers gets played, and at least one other middleweight game. I've recently moved and we now have the space to split into three groups. Last week was the first night in this location and we split into two groups with me and the newbie gamers at one table playing ingenious and everyone else playing Clans on the other. Then we formed a big group of 7 for Wits and Wagers and Bang!, which was definitely a hit.

If anyone's in the Binghamton area, or willing to drive here on a Thursday night, and wants to join in, PM me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
I have people over to my house every Monday night. We have 2-8 and play from sometime after 6 til sometime after 10 usually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ricotta
Japan
Okinawa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We are playing Second Front. Everyone is a German or an Allie. As long as one person for each side is there the game may go on. I recommend you play MONSTER war games, then you never have to worry about some "optimal" number of people, or what you are going to play that night. Just make sure you can leave it set up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezra Denney
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I started a little game night more than a year ago, and it has blossomed. We meet every Tuesday at a local cafe in Alameda, CA. We have a core of 6 players, but with stragglers and guests we have been up to 10 players. We play from 7 until 9 or 10, and get a nice mix of games in. We shamelessly stole Mark Johnson's game of the month idea (as you can see with this geeklist http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...) and the ability to play a game each week really allows us to talk about the strategy and elements of the game. I highly recommend the idea.

I have really enjoyed playing in a public place. It lets us show off the games (and we have had people ask us about games before)and sets a nice social tone for the evening. The one drawback is that the low lighting can sometimes make game pieces look a lot alike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play every Saturday over here in Pittsburgh. Getting ready is easy, just put out a bunch of pretzel rods and empty all the ashtrays!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.