Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Faris
United States
Edgewood
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played this 2 times and people are still confused about the distance cards.

Does anyone have an easy way to explain this to newbies? It's obvious I am doing something wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It's been a while since i have played, and even longer since I have introduced to to newbies. So in my explanation, i may have this backward.

But basically, PLUS signs are how PEOPLE see you. If you have the +1 horse or the +1 hideout (dodge city), you are now 1 spot farther away from everyone. How people see you only affects how people shot you. MINUS signs are how YOU see people. So if you have the Appaloosa at -1, you see everyone 1 spot closer.

Or more appropriately, the Plus only works when you are the target and Minus only works when you are the shooter.

Obviouly, these cards interact so it gets a bit more complicated. You having a -1 in front of you negates the +1 that your target has in front of them.

What I usually do is count every one out for the newbies. Dick is 3 seats away from Jane and Jane wants to Bang Dick. So have Jane count 1, 2, 3 to get to Dick. Dick has the Mustang. So he is now 3+1 = 4 spots away from Jane. Jane has the Mustang. So Dick is 4 -1 = 3 from Jane. Jane has the Remington which firse at 3. Since she has a gun that reaches at least 3 spots, she can target Dick.

Hopefully this all makes sense and I answered your question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
They are always to the player's advantage (the one who played them, obviously):

A -1 makes people closer (so I can hit them easier)

A +1 makes me farther away (so I can't get hit as easily).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for each +1 imagine an empty seat between you and the people either side of you

distance is the number of seats imaginarly empty or full between you and your opponent

for each -1 take 1 seat away, this may go to zero which mean you can kiss and hug each other! lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cramer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I remember the distance cards is that the -1 card is an offensive card and is only active during your turn. It is used only when you attack another player, bring them closer.

The +1 card is a defensive card that is only active when it is not your turn. When you are being attacked by another player, it pushes you one further position away.

When I teach the game, these descriptions always seem to work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Russell
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I say that when trying to shoot at somebody you count your -'s and their +'s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Milarky wrote:
for each +1 imagine an empty seat between you and the people either side of you

distance is the number of seats imaginarly empty or full between you and your opponent

for each -1 take 1 seat away, this may go to zero which mean you can kiss and hug each other! lol

I thought I would give this one a try as I was explaining it to a couple of new people. It failed. Sorry!

I was hoping the chair thing would be the best visual but they kept putting in chairs all the time and it ended up being the bigger mess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.