Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elliott Harding
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone. What are your thoughts about Descent - Forgotten Souls versus SoB? Which do you enjoy more and why? I have the base and Wyrm for Descent. What all do you need for Forgotten Souls to get the most out of it?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Forgotten Souls once (I own it, and everything else, for Descent). I got bored by the end there and don't really want to play it again.

I have tonnes of fun with Shadows of Brimstone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All you'd need is Forgotten Souls but it has limited replay value. We got about 3 plays out of it. But it is inexpensive.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1220623/capsule-review-forg...

Shadows of Brimstone is much more expensive and has a lot of components, miniatures and cards and endless hours of play.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1230584/shadows-brimstone-s...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Descent system better than SoB's. The game play mechanics don't feel as fiddly, the enemy AI is better, plus it doesn't have the 'extended play' problem SoB will have. In Descent, you complete a quest in one night. SoB, it's a never-ending campaign that admittedly can have its own appeal. For this reason alone, I am glad I have both games. Sometimes we just want a one-night adventure. Sometimes we want the extended questing.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Marti
Switzerland
Riedholz
Solothurn
flag msg tools
Super Trooper, I said!
badge
Waaagh
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both and I love both

but as was already mentionned - Descent Coop adventures (there two of them right now) are kind of a "one shot" Thing whereas SoBs only makes sense if you play a campaign where it realy shines.

I personaly have a slight Preference for SoB from that perspective

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Frick
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Red Raven, Red Raven...
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows of Brimstone is my new favorite game, and replacing Descent as my campaign dungeon crawler of choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yog Sothoth
United Kingdom
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent for me at least is now resigned to the shelf, hopefully never to be played again. The biggest reason for this is when a hero gets knocked out there really isn't a downside. This has then meant that the heroes have no fear going into battle with very few consequences. They have remedied this in Imperial Assault with heroes becoming weaker on first KO and out of the session on second which feels much better compared to Descent. I have played on both sides of the table on Descent and didn't really enjoy either experience which is amazing as this sort of game normally floats my boat.

SOB, on the other hand, I can't get enough of and will be playing tonight. Bring on the slashers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bum Kim
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like others have said here, Descent FS has limited re-play as we played it once and haven't done so since. But if you are looking for a one-shot game with no campaign, then this is a much cheaper game to go with, especially since you have the components to it already. In fact, for $10 at MM, it's relatively risk free for you to get it. I went through a regular campaign with base rules and didn't like it at all because it was less a dungeon crawl and more a timed race.

Myself, I love games where you level up and gain new abilities over time. I've played Descent Road to Legend through four campaigns (takes a LONG time) as well as D&D 4th edition. If you are motivated by leveling up and doing a campaign, SoB is definitely better. Sort of depends what type of game you are looking for.

But I am getting Star Wars Imperial Assault at which point I will sell off my Descent 2.0 stuff. The mere fact that turns alternate with the Overlord makes it much more appealing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Osborne
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
All you need for Forgotten Souls is the base game. It uses base set tiles, and exactly 4 monster groups (from the base game), and the shop/search decks and heroes from the base game, but there is no reason you can't use shop/search/heroes from any expansion.

Cost wise, it is a single print on demand expansion, it was about $12 at our local game store, and I definitely got $12 worth of fun from it.

It is one "mission" with randomness in terms of what order the "encounters" are in, but if you actually get to the goal room, you have seen all the encounters.

Forgotten Souls' "monster AI" is interesting, and a bit more varied then the monster AI in SoB.

SoB costs a fair bit more (I think someone on here said it was $68 online?), and buying BOTH base sets gets you many more monster types, and 8 hero classes (one box is 4). Actually each base box gets you a lot more monster types then Forgotten Souls, and in SoB each monster has a table of random elite traits (they get them if you don't have enough monsters of a given type to place, or starting at hero level 3 you start getting them -- later you get the brutal versions, which are roughly like the act 2 descent monsters).

In SoB each core set comes with 6 basic and 6 advanced mission. I think ONE of the basic missions is the same in both boxes. So it feels like a lot more "kinds" of things to do.

I'm enjoying SoB a lot more, BUT SoB is a "full game", and Forgotten Souls is a tiny little expansion. If you already have Descent, and want a co-op game that is good for a few play throughs $12 or so on Forgotten Souls won't go amiss. Just so long as you still have $68 left over for SoB :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.