Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » General

Subject: Story War: Sentinel Conflict rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gtgames/story-war-senti...

I just saw this new Kickstarter, and since it doesn't have a BGG entry (that I could find, at least) I thought I'd post about it here.

I'm a big GTG and SoTM fan. Recently got Sentinel Tactics and can't wait to play more of this. So when I saw the banner for this new KS, I thought, "hmm, that sounds interesting."

Then I checked it out. It basically looks like they slapped the Sentinels theme onto Story War, a game that came out in 2013 and received mixed to negative reviews.

To be honest I'm confused as to GTG's decision to try to fund this, but wanted to hear from you guys.

Will you guys back this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very conflicted. I didn't back Tactics as I didn't think any of my gaming group would play it - the aren't into miniatures games.

I have the same problem with Conflict, in that I don't see myself finding anyone to play it with. Most of my gaming is solo or two player, with my significant other. In addition, having the game Sentinels themed might be a drawback here, in that it will be difficult to introduce to people who haven't played Sentinels, or who don't enjoy it as much as I do.

All that said, I am still regretting not backing Tactics...

I am curious about the comic, though the cost just for it would be pretty high. Like many others, I would jump on a PDF option like anything.

....haven't really helped, have I?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a bit excited when I saw the Kickstarter, which faded away to almost nothing when I saw that shipping to Europe was more than the game+comic combined, and completely died when I read some Story Wars reviews here on BGG... Cool idea in priciple, but since I would probably never play it over Sentinels, I don't see any reason to get it...

And while I think Rebottaro has grown as an artist since his beginnings as a gifted amateur, and I have grown to really like the style and visual feel of the game, if the 'Freedom Four Annual' is anything to go by, he has very little grasp of graphic storytelling, you know, telling a story, making it interesting, in the medium of the 'comic book'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i got burned on the last kickstarter. I paid retail price to kickstart it and got a few extra cards. This one I will pick up at CSI or MM for half the price with free shipping if it's any good, which on that point it doesn't look like something I would enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
As mentioned elsewhere, NO. They are going the route of the endless Monopolies, I think. Slapping their SotM theme on anything that walks in the door.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
As mentioned elsewhere, NO. They are going the route of the endless Monopolies, I think. Slapping their SotM theme on anything that walks in the door.

You mean "reverse Monopoly" since they are not slapping any theme on their engine but the other way around.

I really don't understand the strength of the aversion here. They had sotm out for a while before they released the miniatures game. The card game is strongly supported. Many people were hoping for miniatures of their favorite heroes and we got that with Tactics. I didn't back it as I am tired of tactical miniature games but I picked up a some of the miniature packs.

Now, they are offering a story game. I am dying for a sotm RPG and this might be a step on that direction. It is a storyish game that they know the engine and approve of. It shouldn't impact the support or quality of any of the other games and, honestly, it seems far from nonsensical to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
I really don't understand the strength of the aversion here. They had sotm out for a while before they released the miniatures game. The card game is strongly supported. Many people were hoping for miniatures of their favorite heroes and we got that with Tactics. I didn't back it as I am tired of tactical miniature games but I picked up a some of the miniature packs.

Sure, we all wanted a good board game version. But after seeing the game at GenCon 2013, reading the rules, watching the videos, there wasn't really anything there.

Quote:
Now, they are offering a story game. I am dying for a sotm RPG and this might be a step on that direction.

Sure, we all want a good RPG version. But based on the track record since SotM, I doubt we get a solid RPG design from them. Most likely, they find the cheapest, poorest RPG out there and slap the SotM label on it. Maybe they won't but that is the direction they seem to be heading. So my anticipation for anything good coming from them with the SotM label (besides the SotM game and expansions themselves) is waning.

Quote:
It is a storyish game that they know the engine and approve of. It shouldn't impact the support or quality of any of the other games and, honestly, it seems far from nonsensical to me.

It doesn't effect the original game per se but it does effect them as a company and the perception of them going forward. As some one else stated in another thread, they are really starting to look like a one-hit wonder that can't design anything else, instead using the popularity of their title and putting it on other things. They are diluting their brand in a big way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
It doesn't effect the original game per se but it does effect them as a company and the perception of them going forward. As some one else stated in another thread, they are really starting to look like a one-hit wonder that can't design anything else, instead using the popularity of their title and putting it on other things. They are diluting their brand in a big way.

This was my big question. Does them putting this out start to dilute the SoTM brand, and, to a lesser extent, the GTG brand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not at all. The brand has been around for a while now and all they made make sense. They are coming out in a stepwise fashion and there will be hits and misses. Card game - amazing. Miniature game - ok. Story game - tbd. This is over a few years. I will be worried when I see Clue, Monopoly or Game of Life - Sentinels.

Many companies take a while before they hit it big again. Plaid Hat struggled with Dungeon Run before they hit it again with Mice and Mystics and Dead of Winter and, to be sincere, I am not completely sold on any of their games since Summoner Wars but, PHG has expanded the team of designers. And, other Dungeon Run, they did not try anything else in the Summoner Wars universe which I would have loved to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
Now, they are offering a story game. I am dying for a sotm RPG and this might be a step on that direction.

Pick up a copy of Mutants & Masterminds 3rd edition and role-play in the Sentinels' multiverse.

I never saw a reason to create an entirely new game system just to paint Westeros or Hogwarts on the cover. A tried-and-true system will serve better. Also, it isn't GURPS; it is a super hero RPG design and really brings out the feel of the genre while remaining all-encompassing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I have my own favorite system. I would be looking forward the background material that comes in the RPG. This is what would be most helpful. Detailing of the known history, settings and characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Meenachan
United States
Delray Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
KILLER QUEEN: BITES THE DUST!
badge
ShaRog Master Race
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
Now, they are offering a story game. I am dying for a sotm RPG and this might be a step on that direction. It is a storyish game that they know the engine and approve of. It shouldn't impact the support or quality of any of the other games and, honestly, it seems far from nonsensical to me.

Story War really bears little resemblance to anything we'd call a modern RPG, and there's no "engine". It's Cops n' Robbers with cards.

You can literally play Sentinel Conflict RIGHT NOW without spending a cent. Grab your SOTM character cards and you're good to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheKillShirt wrote:
Ronaldo wrote:

Story War really bears little resemblance to anything we'd call a modern RPG, and there's no "engine". It's Cops n' Robbers with cards.

You can literally play Sentinel Conflict RIGHT NOW without spending a cent. Grab your SOTM character cards and you're good to go.

I read the rules from the get go. I don't know if it was here or on the other thread, I called it a storyish game. I have no illusion that this is an RPG.

More background material and some props can be very helpful and I think Story Wars will provide some of that. A full RPG book would be just awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Just some things we have gotten from official channels.

1. There will be no new story material in Sentinels Conflict.

2. The game is one Christopher (a storyteller first, game designer second) loved. The whole team apparently loved playing it and thought the format and system would work well with the Sentinels setting.

3. It seems to be a reactive story-telling fight, where you have to work with what you are given and what has happened before your turn to try and turn the battle to your team with your narrative of your character's role.

GtG is not trying to make games for any specific audience, they are making games they like. If you don't like this one don't get it. If you get a chance play a demo at a con someday and get it if you like it then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Karrde
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nexbot wrote:
I just saw this new Kickstarter, and since it doesn't have a BGG entry (that I could find, at least) I thought I'd post about it here.

There's an entry now, for those interested.

Story War: Sentinel Conflict
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And it looks like the market spoke, as they pulled the KS before it failed to fund:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
nexbot wrote:
And it looks like the market spoke, as they pulled the KS before it failed to fund:

That helped shore up my opinion of them. Good for them for listening to their customers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
nexbot wrote:

That helped shore up my opinion of them. Good for them for listening to their customers.

I think they were risking more of their reputation on that Kickstarter than they realized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We are all agreeing that they pulled it down because it was not going to fund, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
We are all agreeing that they pulled it down because it was not going to fund, right?

"...We had hoped there would be interest in a Sentinel Comics version of Story War, as we had played and enjoyed Story War. However, the response here, on our website and others, and on social media has been clear: Story War is not a direction people are interested in seeing the Multiverse go. Good to know! We are glad to have learned that now and not after printing several thousand copies of the game..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think that if the project was fully funded they would pull it down because of feedback? Seriously? I am surprised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Ronaldo wrote:
Do you think that if the project was fully funded they would pull it down because of feedback? Seriously? I am surprised.

If it was fully funded then the message would have been "yes, we want this product!" In that case why would they pull it down?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly. That was the real feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:

I'm not sure I understand your question. The failure to fund was the feedback. This is, of course, in addition to the apparently vocal lack of interest in the game system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is where we differ. We seem to agree that not funding was the ultimate reason. Unfortunately, the other hypothesis we can't test. If the project had funded, even marginally, people could be vocal all year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.