GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,487 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Stone Age or Takenoko? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas Kaiser
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

I need some help from you. I need one more gift for christmas for my mother. And since she loves boardgames as much as I do I thought about another one for her. Last year I had Waka Waka under the tree for her and she loves it. This year I am thinking about:

Stone Age

or

Takenoko

I know they have not much in common but why did I choose the 2 of them?

Stone Age sounds interesting and is just what she likes!

Takenoko is looking damn cute, the idea is fantastic and she will also like this game. If it was only this I would really go for Stone Age. BUT my niece is 5 and my mom already said she can't wait for the day to play board games with her like she did with us. This is why I think Takenoko is the way to go. Even if it is a little bit too early, right? She is playing stuff like Tumblin' Monkeys or Mensch ärgere Dich nicht Kids for over a year now. But they are nothing compared to Takenoko right?

If it was for the gameplay I think Stone Age is the one she would enjoy more BUT the niece-factor is not to be underestimated! But maybe a year too soon? What do you think?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
For light gaming they're both good choices (but both pretty dull imho). I would suggest takenoko out of the two if pushed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Kaiser
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dull... is not good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age is the better game imo. I like Takenoko but i wonder how much replay-ability it has. However, as you said, the niece factor..Get Takenoko.

Quote:
Dull... is not good.

Dont worry, its all matter of opinion. He rates Dominion..a more dull game ive not played whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age > Takenoko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
alandric wrote:
Stone Age > Takenoko

Other less obvious suggestions > Stone Age > Takenoko

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OF the two, with the niece factor in play, I'd pick Takenoko. I have taught Takenoko to seven year olds quite successfully and would confidently say that a bright interested 6 year old could also pick it up. Five I'm not sure about though.

However, said niece WILL be ready for Takenoko sooner than she will be ready for Stone Age. And Takenoko is a prettier game, which is often a consideration with 5 year old girls, so she will WANT to play it, which might make her try harder to understand it!

You might consider getting Takenoko and then playing with a 'niece variant' like fewer cards triggering the ending (to avoid to problem of the game going too long for a 5 year old's patience), or letting the panda and farmer move ANYWHERE instead of following the movement rules (that has been one of the harder points for the kids I've taught to grasp), and/or letting her start with a handicap like having an irrigation token or an extra goal card.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike berk
United States
rancho cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age is great game, my wife will play it anytime. The game has more strategy then people most people give it credit for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xtsgarp wrote:
Stone Age is great game, my wife will play it anytime. The game has more strategy then people most people give it credit for.

Agreed, but it's not for a 5 year old, so your mom will have to wait longer.

Takenoko, however, is much more visually appealing to a young 'un IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freddieyu wrote:
xtsgarp wrote:

Agreed, but it's not for a 5 year old, so your mom will have to wait longer.

Takenoko, however, is much more visually appealing to a young 'un IMO.

Yeah, no one wants to explain to a 5 year old what goes on in the caveman love shack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Krämer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:

Yeah, no one wants to explain to a 5 year old what goes on in the caveman love shack.

I'll explain the caveman love shack if you explain the power of the starvation strategy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
endless dreamer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with Stone Age, due to replay and strategic values. Takenoko looks cute but a 5 yr old can't sit still long enough to play the game.

Most 5 year olds I have taught games like Gamewright games such as Hula Hippos, Dweebies, Grannies Apples, etc. The Magic Labrynth is not from Gamewright but is a fun one with "magic" magnets that is always a hit.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Takenoko is visually appealing but it stopped there for me. I own it, I've played it with people only as young as 10. I find the game pretty boring and for a child I think they would be more interested in playing with the components than the game itself.

Stone Age is a great game but certainly not for kids. Family yes but young ones just won't get it.

I wouldn't base the decision at all on introducing a 5 yr old. Stick to the kiddie games for her.

Get mom Stone Age and play it with her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games have great components and play equally well with 2-4 players.

Im comparison: Stone Age is strategic, while Takenoko is tactical.

So, for your niece and the League of Pandas: pick up Takenoko.

Have fun !

TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
(but both pretty dull imho).

TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Other less obvious suggestions > Stone Age > Takenoko

1775: Rebellion is not the answer to everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stout
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age has the Mating Hut. I'd go with that for the 5 year old audience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Kaiser
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot to all of you! thumbsup Some interesting thoughts and information. Still not sure anyway...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben B
United States
Yakima
Washington
flag msg tools
de_la_poer wrote:
Thanks a lot to all of you! thumbsup Some interesting thoughts and information. Still not sure anyway...

This probably won't help your decision. My wife and I have both. I am usually the one that picks what game we play (she doesn't like picking the game for some reason). Though I like Stone Age better (I love the multiple dice and squeezing the most out of what you have), I tend to pick Takenoko more often over Stone Age. It tends to be a little quicker for us, and something about it (not sure what) brings me back. I did not like it at all after the first play. But subsequent plays have helped me to appreciate and like it.

It could also be that my wife usually shows me who's boss in Stone Age...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't keep those stacks of bamboo from falling down in Takenoko, so I can't imagine a five year old wouldn't be scattering those all over the board.

I don't think either game is appropriate for a young child. There are a lot of great games out there for kids that are much better suited for them than either one of your choices, and can be played by the family. On the other hand, if you are buying for the mother, that's different.

Bugs in the Kitchen would be fun for a five year old and the family. Or Zooloretto, Hey, That's my Fish. I know Dice Tower isn't for everyone, but for family games I think their recommendations are spot on. One other cool older game that is still available is Marrakech, with carpets and everything.

Anyway, if your mother wants something interesting, I think you can look a little further than Stone Age or Takenoko (which frankly has a lot of fiddly rules of play and didn't hold my interest), as Chris suggested earlier. If you are set on those two, Stone Age would be my choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.