Subject: Looking to play Diplomacy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anne M
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
I tried out Diplomacy and Colonial Diplomacy several years ago and really really loved it. Back then, I used to work nights and didn't have time to play. I now work a nice Mon to Fri 9-5 job, but unfortunately I don't know anyone who plays it anymore.

Are there any Winnipeg Diplomacy players out there who are willing and patient enough to re-teach and play with a rookie? laugh

*I am also open to trying other strategy games as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
When I heard the learn’d astronomer; When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with
badge
much applause in the lecture-room, How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. W.W.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am willing to GM an online game of Diplomacy at http://www.dipbounced.com if we can get 7 interested people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne M
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
I'm interested, but I have a couple questions first:

1) What is the time frame for turns? I saw another online site somewhere today that gave players a week to submit their moves. Once a week would be great for me.

2) Will you or someone else be able to help me in the beginning a bit? I AM a rookie, remember.

3) Do I need to set up my own board at home to follow the game, or can I do it online somehow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There used to be an active PBM community for Diplomacy. In fact, the game seems to play better that way. There were press releases along with the newletter that contained the moves and the outcomes of all the games that the moderator ran.

I can't believe that that community has died, only that it is now online. I googled "Diplomacy PBEM" and got 26300 hits. The first one seemed to be about email Diplomacy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
When I heard the learn’d astronomer; When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with
badge
much applause in the lecture-room, How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. W.W.
mbmbmbmbmb
Makino wrote:
I'm interested, but I have a couple questions first:

1) What is the time frame for turns? I saw another online site somewhere today that gave players a week to submit their moves. Once a week would be great for me.

We can make them as long or as short as we want. I like 48 hour deadlines, with no deadlines landing on weekends, but anything everyone agrees to is fine with me.

Makino wrote:
2) Will you or someone else be able to help me in the beginning a bit? I AM a rookie, remember.

As the GM I can answer any questions about how to use the dipbounced interface, rules questions, etc. But any strategy discussion is between the players only.

Makino wrote:
3) Do I need to set up my own board at home to follow the game, or can I do it online somehow?

No. Dipbounced generates maps automatically with all board positions and orders displayed. Go to the site and explore as a guest if you want. You can observe a game in progress, or read up on how to use the interface. You can downlaod a copy of the rules here: http://www.hasbro.com/common/instruct/Diplomacy.PDF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crowe
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested too, and I'm also a newbie.

I've only played Diplomacy twice (about 10 years ago), and neither time did we make it through the entire game before someone got bored or fed up and quit. Grrr!

I was just recently wondering how I could try it out again without losing the few friends I have who are willing to try new games. I'm surrounded by non-gamers...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ballinger
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philgamer wrote:
There used to be an active PBM community for Diplomacy. In fact, the game seems to play better that way. There were press releases along with the newletter that contained the moves and the outcomes of all the games that the moderator ran.

I can't believe that that community has died, only that it is now online. I googled "Diplomacy PBEM" and got 26300 hits. The first one seemed to be about email Diplomacy.

Diplomacy be email is quite active. Look at http://www.diplom.org and you'll find lots of information, particularly about "judge" diplomacy games. dipbounced happens to be where we've played almost a half dozen "bgg" diplomacy games. It's not pbem, but played on the website.

There are also loads of tools for running hand-adjuticated pbem diplomacy. The one I've made most use of is jdip: http://jdip.sourceforge.net/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ballinger
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tinderfire wrote:
I'm interested too, and I'm also a newbie.

I've only played Diplomacy twice (about 10 years ago), and neither time did we make it through the entire game before someone got bored or fed up and quit. Grrr!

I was just recently wondering how I could try it out again without losing the few friends I have who are willing to try new games. I'm surrounded by non-gamers...

Play one of our BGG dip games on dipbounced. Go over there and get signed up as a user, then either Joe or I could create a game for any seven-some that is up for it.

Right now, we're playing BGGonly2, and we've had bggonly, bgg001, bgg002 and bgg003, plus I gm'ed spiel001 for some spielfrieks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Youells
United States
Camp Hill
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 geek gold, and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
A good place to look is at redscape.net. Everything is hand run by GMs, and you can probably find a game that moves at the pace you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far we have:

Makino (Anne M)
verandi
tinderfire (John Crowe)

If we can get 4 more, I'll start up a game on dipbounced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be willing to play if someone does not mind guiding me through the online type of game. I've played FTF numerous times, but never online. So, if someone is willing to help, I'm game.
Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul canosa
Japan
shizuoka
Shizuoka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to play.

Geez I haven't played diplomacy in .... 20 years. god that is far too long.

count me in please

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M
United States
Lake Hiawatha
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I too late? I've been wanting to see what this game is all about and playing online would be a perfect way for me to try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne M
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
I was able to register with dipbounced, but I am completely unable to get to the login screens. angry

I am getting a:
Quote:
Authorization Required
This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.dipbounced.com Port 80

Now, its impossible that I provided a bad pw. I haven't even gotten to the login screen yet. What credentials from my browser is it looking for anyway?

Strangely enough, I didn't have any problems this morning getting on the site from my computer at work.

*grrrrr*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eaton-Salners
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Makino wrote:
I was able to register with dipbounced, but I am completely unable to get to the login screens. angry

I am getting a:
Quote:
Authorization Required
This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.dipbounced.com Port 80

Now, its impossible that I provided a bad pw. I haven't even gotten to the login screen yet. What credentials from my browser is it looking for anyway?

Strangely enough, I didn't have any problems this morning getting on the site from my computer at work.

*grrrrr*

Are you blocking cookies perhaps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne M
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Quote:
Are you blocking cookies perhaps?

Yeah. What's the exact name of the cookie that site uses? I'll add it on my safe list then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul canosa
Japan
shizuoka
Shizuoka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
also what browser are you using ...

I have no problems with mozilla, but the site is a tad slow.

let us know when to play.

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne M
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Quote:
what browser are you using ...

Internet Explorer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far we have:

Makino (Anne M)
verandi
tinderfire (John Crowe)
catosulla (Tim Z)
bestbandis (Aarob Bell)
donpaulo (Paul Canosa)
Schlotto (Scott M)
quozl (Jonathan N.)

That's eight. We need seven.

How long would you guys like each turn to take? 2 days? More? Less?

Warning: This is a long term commitment. At a pace of 48 hours per turn, this game will probably take several months to finish. (At any time you can request a recess if you will be traveling or temporarily unable to play for any reason.)

Is there anyone who cannot make the time commitment?

Please reply in this thread if you are still willing and able to play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are interested in playing, I suggest subscribing to this thread until we get the game officially started.

Also, please send me a PM indicating your dipbounced login name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ballinger
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If there's another seven, and/or if Joe wants to play I can start a game too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still interested. The only time problem I can see would be around Thanksgiving or Christmas when I visit my folks. They do not own a computer as yet. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We will break for the holidays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.