6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Are there published games like that I'm working on? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ma Si
Germany
flag msg tools
I'm working on a game and I want to know if there is a similar game already out there. I'm in early play test stage.
In my game every player hides his player tokens under tiles. Every tile looks different on the front, so you always know where your tokens are. Those tiles are all arranged to a square on the table.
On your turn you push a tile into the square and push out an other tile on the opposite side. The goal is to push out the opponent's tokens. There is although a mechanic that forces you to reveal some information about the tiles where your tokens are and a mechanic to limit the positions you are allowed to push the tile.

I know this is a little vague but I want to know if there is a game which uses this kind of mechanic. Maybe other games didn't use tiles but boxes instead.

My game started as an abstract game and I now added a theme. All tiles together make a flowery meadow and there are different numbers of different flowers on each tile. The player tokens are bugs and beatles.

I want to do some more play tests and then I will post a thread in th WIP section with photos.
I'm reading here on BGG for some time. This is my first post about a game I'm working on.

[EDIT]
here is my WIP thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1304701/
[/EDIT]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Tucker
Indonesia
Jakarta
flag msg tools
designer
(This space intentionally left blank.)
badge
What is the good life?
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not exactly sure that I understand you, but maybe this game is similar: Confusion: Espionage and Deception in the Cold War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Massey
Wales
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The pushing one tile in to push another tile out mechanic sounds a bit like Labyrinth, but don't let that stop you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
If I understand you:

Pushing rows of stuff and stuff at the far edge is shoved outside the area of play appears in various games, e.g. Quixo and (3-dimensionally!) Cubulus.

A memory element of hidden-but-trackable elements are appears in many games.

Trying to push opponent's pieces out of the area of play appears in various games, e.g. Abalone.

I don't recall offhand a game using all 3 of these together, though it would not surprise me if there are such games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This bears some resemblance to The Club, in which players push tiles with semi-distinctive fronts onto a square board, hoping to score points based on the secret information printed on the backs of those tiles.

It doesn't involve pushing tiles off the board; the tiles meet in the center and then are removed under certain circumstances.

It's a terrible game, so if your game is fun, you probably have at least one significant difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ma Si
Germany
flag msg tools
Thanks for your replies.
As far as I can tell "The aMAZEing Labyrinth" is the closed to my WIP game. But that is only the push a tile in to push an other tile on the opposite side out mechanic.

I own "The aMAZEing Labyrinth" and "Master Labyrinth". My game has no name yet, but I'll try to avoid wordplay on those games.

The point in my game is the hidden player token (for now I use stickers under the tiles). You try to push those out. It doesn't happen a lot on the front side of the tiles. I have got a little deduction involved by forcing players to give some informations about their tokens.

If someone else knows a game similar to what I'm doing, please tell me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.