Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Simons
United States
Johnston
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own a set of the acrylic overlays from BoardGameInnovations,which I really love, and I was curious if anybody has heard anything about whether or not they will provide an overlay set for this expansion. I didn't see anything on the BGI website, so I thought I'd ask the BGG community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salim Khoury
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
Give Grace, Always.
badge
Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.
mbmbmbmbmb
I too am interested this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Miracle
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They posted awhile back on G+ that they were awaiting their copy of the game (like so many) to make measurements and design the overlay. Just updated last night that they received the game and were getting down to design and playing.

http://us7.campaign-archive1.com/?u=0d5669146068b69ba2103bae...
https://plus.google.com/+Boardgameinnovation/posts/XPG5YrXQi...

Edit to include the links
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The overlays are awesome.
Boardgameinnovation are most definately making the new stuff we need.
Can't wait, they complete this great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Rigby
United States
Spring Hope
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Designer & Inventor Emeritus
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion certainly complicates matters a bit. As several of you have noted, the trading posts are larger in length than the original, and secondly the terrain rondel is rotated so there is a space a the 12:00 position. So much for my planned "future proof" design. It still might be possible, who knows. Stay tuned, and strap in, my mind can be a crazy place to visit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG Innovation
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your interest in our Overlays. We are working on them! The game came two days ago. We've figured out what goes where, and how things have changed.

Now the real work starts!

Elaine
Board Game Innovation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Rigby
United States
Spring Hope
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is what I came up with.

In the expansion there are 3 faction cards, so a maximum of 3 factions can be played at one time. The 2 fire factions require nothing special from the original TM Overlay set, except that the Trading Posts are longer and don't fit. The 2 Ice Factions and the shape shifters require the overlays to hold a ring to determine home terrain. The River Walker Faction needs to have Priests tracked on terrain.

So the 6 possible faction configurations break down like this. 2 That need nothing special, 3 that need Ring Trackers, and 1 that needs Priest Tracking.

Using the original set as a model we would need 3 bases, 2 ring corners, and one priest corner. You could have a blank corner for the Fire Factions, it just adds more cost and stuff to carry.

So, really it is not a terribly difficult design exercise to create them. Looking at it from the 50,000 foot level; I set out to see if I could create one single monolithic overlay to accommodate all three. This is the result.

Overall, River Walkers, Brown Meeple Set from Original

Close up of Priest Tracking, River Walkers, Brown Meeple Set from Original

Close up of Ring Tracking, Yettis

The slot that holds the ring is designed in such a way that it supports slightly less than half the ring so the ring naturally wants to tip down into the slot at an 11.5 degree angle. In the case of Shape Shifters, simply grasp the side sticking up to relocate, or rock it back flat, slide to new position and release it to fall into the new one.

Close up of Acolytes

Please let me know your thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger I think this is looking great.
I like the idea of a further blank key personally, as the overlays are so amazingly perfectly finished for each board that I feel it's good to continue like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tarnow
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the priest/ring combo you have. I was thinking could do 2 of those and 1 blank for the volcano factions. Or you could do away with the corners and just print 3 with everything. Though if there is another expansion it might follow this one in design so it might be easier to just go with the corners. Overall I'm a fan of priest/ring implementation keep up the good work. I'll be first in line to buy these to go with the first set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bush
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i like how the ring pops up like that. makes it easier to see where it is and remove it. having the ring and priest tracker on the same overlay looks good to me.
would you only need the base set of overlays + 3 of these?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Rigby
United States
Spring Hope
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am leaning towards the one overlay with everything on it. I had another thought that makes it useful. I make a set of rings for every faction color minus orange. Then you can place them in the ring slots of the fire factions to track which terrain is not a home color for the less expensive cost. Alternatively, you could do the opposite and mark the home colors to avoid. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger, I think if we all got our heads together in the ultimate brain storming session, your version will surpass anyway!.
The ring idea is ultra cool!, In fact I would love a "set" of acrylic rings in the different faction colours.

Other possibilities:
A side acrylic tray to house workers,priests and money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
Hidden trackable information in games sucks!
badge
I play games for fun and pursuing the goal to win the game is fun! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to see your thoughts on designing the new overlays, Roger!

mobilecad wrote:

I make a set of rings for every faction color minus orange. Then you can place them in the ring slots of the fire factions to track which terrain is not a home color for the less expensive cost. Alternatively, you could do the opposite and mark the home colors to avoid. meeple

That sounds like a terrific idea!

However, I find unused priest slots a bit unaesthetic, so in case it doesn't make much of a difference for the price, I would prefer to only have one overlay with both priest and ring slots and the other two with only ring slots.

And for your information in case you missed it, the designers are currently working on an official fix for the Shapeshifters which turned out to be overpowered (*click*). Apparently alls kinds of options are on the table for this, so their board might be changed. So you might want to wait for that fix before finalizing your new overlays. One of the proposals relevant if it gets implemented even concerns Acolytes and Dragonlords, which would need to have a way to remember their Starting terrain in case the Shapeshifter's shifting ability gets limited to terrain types which not only aren't the Home terrain, but also not the Starting terrain of any faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tarnow
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the changes being discussed have no effect on the board's functionality. Worse thing I have seen is to annotate the starting terrain for the expansion factions, which could be done easily with a set of colored terrain rings. Great idea btw. I would use these for shapeshifters anyway to remind me of which terrains I can't switch to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Rigby
United States
Spring Hope
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You were correct, I did completely miss that thread. Not surprising I missed a thread in the strategy forum when you see my rating on Snellman. soblue

I have some sample colored acrylic I am going to mock up a set of rings out of. The acrylic is thicker than the chipboard the original rings are made from so I might have to fiddle with the retention slot. The "curse" of having access to a laser, perpetual fiddling. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
there is an additional step of seafaring missing for the mermaids i think

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Rigby
United States
Spring Hope
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morthai wrote:
there is an additional step of seafaring missing for the mermaids i think

The original (base game) set I designed has a keyed section for the Fakirs and Mermaids to account for those idiosyncrasies. Pictures and details can be found here Terra Mystica: Acrylic Overlay Set

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Rigby
United States
Spring Hope
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the set of faction rings cut from color samples I had laying around.

The translucent white one on the right is a stand in for grey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger these look amazing thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Rigby
United States
Spring Hope
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
biffta wrote:
Roger these look amazing thumbsup

Very nice of you to say. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Simons
United States
Johnston
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree these look amazing. Do you have plans to make the acrylic colored rings available from the site. These certainly add some additional character to the game outside of the cardboard rings that came with the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG Innovation
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Nate,

Roger's little hoard of colored acrylic is a few years old. I'm looking for a source. Colors might be a little different.

Elaine
boardgameinnovation.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Woods
United States
Kenmore
Washington
flag msg tools
All I make is junk.
badge
The Great Mysterio!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have any such overlays for my copy of TM, but these look really cool. I may have to buy some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger,
We played with the new races last night ( Yetis and Dragon Lords) , the ring on Yetis stays in its chosen place for the entire game and was not a problem just sat on the acrylic overlay I already have from you.
Do the acrylic rings need to be "sticking up " at all? As they appear in the pic?.
I would definitely prefer them to lay flat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Rigby
United States
Spring Hope
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
biffta wrote:
Roger,
We played with the new races last night ( Yetis and Dragon Lords) , the ring on Yetis stays in its chosen place for the entire game and was not a problem just sat on the acrylic overlay I already have from you.
Do the acrylic rings need to be "sticking up " at all? As they appear in the pic?.
I would definitely prefer them to lay flat

If there is a cut out for them to lay flat they would be impossible to move for the shapeshifters.

I have another "keyed" iteration completed I need to snap some pictures of. Very sure that this is not "the" solution, but it might be very close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.