United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay,

I'v proposed several trades, and some of them have geekmailed me back that they weren't interested, and then others have simply ignored me, which is frustrating and kind of insulting, but I do understand that people have lives and I just chaulk it up to "they were busy".

Is it possible for me to cancel out the trade proposal from my end? Or do
I just have to sit here and twiddle my thumbs until it runs out of time? (Note: I usually extend the time to 7 days, because some people don't log on during weekends and such)

and while we are on subject: what exactly is good trade etiquette if you aren't interested? I decline the trade and explain why. But is it okay to ignore people's offers completely?

**I'm hardly perfect, I've been looking for all my Deadlands cards for one person for over two weeks now, and I'm sure they are bored waiting, but I did at least let them know I was looking!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: cancelling trade proposals-help What is good trade etiqu
I've just decided that some people just don't answer.

I personally answer all of them, giving my reasons. I appreciate it more when people let me know why not, but I get that some feel insulted by the offer or something, snd choose not to reply .

It annoys me when people don't do anything, but again, that's why the system has the expiration time, so no reply is required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heinrichsteven wrote:
Okay,

I'v proposed several trades, and some of them have geekmailed me back that they weren't interested, and then others have simply ignored me, which is frustrating and kind of insulting, but I do understand that people have lives and I just chaulk it up to "they were busy".

Is it possible for me to cancel out the trade proposal from my end? Or do
I just have to sit here and twiddle my thumbs until it runs out of time? (Note: I usually extend the time to 7 days, because some people don't log on during weekends and such)

and while we are on subject: what exactly is good trade etiquette if you aren't interested? I decline the trade and explain why. But is it okay to ignore people's offers completely?

**I'm hardly perfect, I've been looking for all my Deadlands cards for one person for over two weeks now, and I'm sure they are bored waiting, but I did at least let them know I was looking!

I know how you feel, man. I was in your shoes a few weeks ago when I decided to unload a series. I sent about 10 trade proposals and only 1 responded. It sucked and insulting but I just sucked it up and waited until the expirations ran out.

From then on, I only send trade proposals once I have brokered a deal through geekmail. This way both parties know that everyone is active and no need for counter offers (unless something special comes up of course).

Good Luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Roach
Canada
Brandon
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some things I have learnt and do.

1) I send an email first asking if they still have the game and are still interested in trading. Also note that there are multiple sends to others of the same question.

This way, I find out that either they have and still trade, do not have anymore and forgot to update their list, or they do not want to trade. The other part is to let them know that I am asking several people as to their game and if they want to trade. For later refrence, it will be understood that if I cancel or decline the initial search that they will know I have made a trade with someone else for the same game.

2) I usually offer pictures on request, and state the condition of the game. Also put forward any conditions that also are part of the deal, such as requrering a tracking number, or that due to feedback, that posting will take place after receiving a game. How you would like your game shipped if possible.

3) Keep communication open and once transactions on both sides are done, I usually have to remind people to fill out their feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I always send geekmail first. Personal experience tells that if you don't here back right away(if they've logged on), they are not interested.

I've never understood why people don't respond. I know that everybody is busy but it takes like 10 seconds to write a little note saying "no thanks". So I just don't by that excuse and if you need some time to think about it, send a note saying as much!

Good luck in the future!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Shanmugasundaram
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto. Geekmail first.

And you can check Profiles as well. Some people (like me) will tell you when they are on trade hiatus for whatever reason (low funds, out of town, etc.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first attempt at trading was a mess and it was all my fault. I sent a proposal and realized AFTER I sent the proposal that the trade was heavily (about 1:2 in value) against ME. Before I knew it, the trade was accepted by the other guy. He was not very happy I backed out (and I don't blame him, I'm glad he gave me an out) but the trade is still sitting there, waiting for me to send.

As others have recommended, e-mailing the other party about trade interest before submitting a proposal is the best way. Also, one great facet of the trade manager is that, in most cases, you can see the last time the geek last logged in. I was about to e-mail someone about a trade but noticed that the person hadn't logged in since 2005. That's a pretty good indication that the person wouldn't respond.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FullContactGEEK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish there was a way to indicate personal ratings to the users so I could filter out those non-responders. I hate it when I send someone several trade requests and get no response then I forget who they are and some time later they approach me for a trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.