Kieron Mitchell
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
Http:\\www.kieronmitchell.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm kicking around the idea to run a game during the course of a 3-day, small (25 person) convention.

I'd like it to have fairly low "administrative overhead" during the actual con, but it should run the whole time.

Something like Haggle would be good (I've tried it). Does anyone know of other games like that, which would be good in a large group setting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
hate to say the dreaded word but....

Munchkin...

aaaaaagrrrrrggghhh....(runs from the room to keep from being beaten by other BGG'ers....)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Waits
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several games in the book New Rules for Classic Games that you might like; however, I don't have it handy just now.

--Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Blankenship
United States
Owens Cross Roads
AL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's a moray!
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the one where everyone is trying to assassinate someone? Might not be conducive to thoughtful boardgaming though.

Here's an idea: Make up a list of code words or code topics (e.g. chickens, Thailand, pistachios, snowballs) and give a copy of each one to 4 or 5 people. Each group is a ring of spies who are trying to make contact. You get points for making contact with each other member of your group. You also get points for guessing the code words of the other groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Blankenship
United States
Owens Cross Roads
AL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's a moray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Along the lines of haggle, you could do a commodity trading game where the players can buy and sell (or just trade) certain commodities (like the BGG Haggle game that was run using the Puerto Rico commodities). To keep players involved, you could inject new information at various times during the convention. Perhaps you would give the winners of individual games early "tips".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you thinking of Citadels?

I agree. Fast, fun, and low cost!

You can play up to 7 with the original box and up to 8 with the Dark expansionCitadels

There is also Heroscape, which considering the circumstance, probably several people attending have...and you can combine pieces and play as many people as you want to!

Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eaton-Salners
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snoweel wrote:
What's the one where everyone is trying to assassinate someone? Might not be conducive to thoughtful boardgaming though.

Usually just called Assassin:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassin_%28game%29

There is also a commercial version sold as Killer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot about that!!! Gotta'hold of a copy in high school...administration was less than appreciative...I was lucky not to be expelled!

It wasn't as much fun, after we got in trouble, as it looked on the movie "Gotcha"!

Are you more interested in a board game or a card game? or a party game...because there is always "How to host a murder"
that can involve everyone there!How to Host a Murder: A Matter of Faxethere are also about 20 something different ones.

Of course, there is always running a LARP! (Live Action Role-Playing) Everyone usually jumps at playing a vampire or werewolf...and it can be run in conjunction with everything else that is going on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Waits
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swaits wrote:
There are several games in the book New Rules for Classic Games that you might like; however, I don't have it handy just now.

Got home.. looked it up. The game I was thinking of was Super Babel from New Rules for Classic Games which is apparently also described in Abbott's New Card Games. I've not played it - it might be sort of Haggle Light from the looks of it.

You might also be able to do something with The No Game in A Gamut of Games, but certainly not for multiple days.

--Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kieron Mitchell
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions! Very helpful...I'll look them up.

Citadels and the like isn't so good, since the game should be something that you don't all have to be together at the same time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kieron Mitchell
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
heinrichsteven wrote:

There is also Heroscape, which considering the circumstance, probably several people attending have...and you can combine pieces and play as many people as you want to!

Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie

This made me think - maybe a traditional board game could be setup and left "running", with players coming back to it as they have time.

This can be done with chess, for instance. I guess any turn-based game where you don't need to interact in any way with the other player during their turn. Are there good multi-player games like that?

Edit: I found this geeklist: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/14176 which I'm watching now, that is pretty much what I'm looking for. If you can add games to it, that'd be great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.