Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played this game, but just looking at the instructions, it seems to me it would be improved by changing the dice. Rolling two six siders seems like it would make the game completely unpredictable, and kind of inane. Rolling 1 die, or an 8 sider, or even two four siders might help?

Any thoughts? Has anyone tried this?

Sadly, the copy I just got at a thrift store is incomplete, so I might not ever try it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nerman8r wrote:
I haven't played this game, but just looking at the instructions, it seems to me it would be improved by changing the dice. Rolling two six siders seems like it would make the game completely unpredictable, and kind of inane. Rolling 1 die, or an 8 sider, or even two four siders might help?

I think rolling one die would actually make it MORE unpredictable. At least with two dice, you have that bell curve probability that allows you to expect certain numbers (6 to 8) more than others.

Either way, though, this is primarily a children's game. I've played it several times in the last few months with my kids, and I can tell you there are basically no non-obvious decisions in the game. It's fun, in fact it's way more fun than most other roll-and-move games, but I don't think there is enough depth to worry about the dice. The biggest indicator of who will win is seating order. Going last is an advantage.

Quote:
Sadly, the copy I just got at a thrift store is incomplete, so I might not ever try it out.

As long as you have the board, the other components would be trivial to create. I can send you a card list if necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Heheh. Yes, of course. The board. Yes.

*cough*

blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ferro
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mb
In addition to removing the bell curve of the 2d6 roll, moving to a single die would significantly alter or eliminate the "1 point for boxcars" rule.

Plus, using 2d6 is thematically correct: from the last Score space, the Lose space and a Go To Lose space are 7 and 11 spaces away, respectively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting observation.

I don't think I would play with the boxcars rule, anyway. Seems kind of arbitrary and pointless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ferro
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mb
I do play with this one house rule:

(a) When a player lands on a Score space, any other player has several seconds to decide that they want to play their Lose card on them *before* the actual scoring for that space takes place. If a Lose card is played, the net score is -1 instead of +1.

(b) When a player rolls boxcars, that's a point. There is no chance to play a Lose card to prevent it.

So, when several players are stacked up in the 10-11 point range, there's also a game of chicken before each player's roll. Should you play your Lose card now, to prevent even the chance of a boxcars point, or should you wait and see if the empty spaces on the board will do your job (keeping that player from scoring) for you? I call that fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schaefer
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
mb
The 'serveral seconds to play the Lose! card' rule idea is intriguing, especially when playing with younger gamers. We recently had a 'vintage board game night', and some of the fun was seeing who could predict the fastest whether the player was going to score that turn. You had to actually get your piece to the unoccupied score space before you were credited with the score, and if you mis-counted, you lost a point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.