LJ
Canada
Stoney Creek
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

I spent a fair amount of money last year acquiring Star Wars minis. I can't say I've played a lot so far, and certainly not enough to have made it worth the investment just yet.
For anyone's who's played, how does SW:IA compare? All my games will be two-player. I'm worried about it feeling 'samey'. I've been searching out answers to this for a few days but haven't come upon anything too helpful. Apologies if I missed a discussion on this at some point.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Thayer
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You won't see a whole lot of responses because it hasn't hit general release yet.

How does it compare to the skirmish game? You spend your allotted points on characters, roll dice, and try to beat the other person.

IA adds a few wrinkles. Moving away from the d20 system means more variance in attacks and defenses. You also keep a skirmish deck that become a resource to use during the game. Lastly, I believe the abilities and status effects will be easier to track because of the included tokens.

If you only plan on playing the skirmish game, I believe the character packs down the road will add a lot of replay value.

You can technically play the campaign with 2 players, with the Rebels player controlling 2+ characters.

Oh, and the minis are unpainted this time around if that bothers you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ratent wrote:
You won't see a whole lot of responses because it hasn't hit general release yet.

How does it compare to the skirmish game? You spend your allotted points on characters, roll dice, and try to beat the other person.

IA adds a few wrinkles. Moving away from the d20 system means more variance in attacks and defenses. You also keep a skirmish deck that become a resource to use during the game. Lastly, I believe the abilities and status effects will be easier to track because of the included tokens.

If you only plan on playing the skirmish game, I believe the character packs down the road will add a lot of replay value.

You can technically play the campaign with 2 players, with the Rebels player controlling 2+ characters.

Oh, and the minis are unpainted this time around if that bothers you.

I somehow missed the whole WOTC SWM - I was into WW2 gaming at that time, working with DVG,LNL and GMT.

I decided to take up some good ebay auctions for SWM to use for proxies until the expansions came out. One of the deals for £11.50 +postage was for 40 models in the Revenge of the Sith battle pack . It arrived this week + another 20 or so minis from ebay.

The Mounted board + 3 maps and 3 rule books betray the fact that I have 3 sets in one. I read the rules and examined the cards and feel it has more in common with SWIA skirmish than I expected.

I reckon it wouldn't be too hard to scale the cards (unit stats) between the two. SWM has far more special abilities (currently) than SWIA. In fact it seems like a great system. I am not sure the skirmish game will paly that differently than SWIA , yes the dice system is different but the theme is heavy in both anf if anything the force points and special abilities in SWM add a lot of richness.

I expect my SWIA to arrive today (I am picking it up from a FLAGS, had the email saying it is on its way to them) if it is delayed well I will be playing SWM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Payton
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've already posted these comments in another thread, but I'll post them here as well:

I think that Imperial Assault will be a big improvement over SWM. You still have the maneuvering and tactics of SWM, along with the Star Wars theme and the "Rebel Storm" feel of Rebels vs Imperials, with a minor Fringe/Mercenary element thrown in. So all of those things are the same.

But here, IMHO, are the improvements:
-No locking of doors (ie, no lock-out victories!). WotC had to design the Satchel Charge special ability and give it to the cheap 3pt Ugnaught Demolitionist just to counteract the obviously broken mechanic of locking doors in your opponent's face.
-The Command Cards are a really cool new mechanic. I'm really excited about it! We haven't seen many of them, but they add a whole new layer of strategy to both squad-building and gameplay.
-Gambit scoring is replaced by mission objectives, and the skirmish is played on a smaller map. Gone are the stalemate games where the score is 25-20 after an hour of non-engagement. Considering the skirmish map that we've seen, it seems like it will be nearly impossible to avoid combat for an entire match (and that's a big change from SWM).
-It's harder to abuse "activation control." Sure, you can play a swarm of Stormtroopers (3 troops for 6 points), but you activate a whole deployment group at a time (3 at a time in the case of Stormies), which makes it much harder to "out-activate" your opponent by spinning lots of low-cost fodder pieces.
-Oh, and this one is huge: ORGANIZED PLAY! FFG has already stated that they'll be using the same OP system for IA that they use for X-Wing (which has been fabulous). WotC never gave a tenth of the focus to organized play that FFG does. This, in itself, is more than enough reason for me to turn to IA as a replacement for SWM.

So anyway, just going off of what I've read so far, these are the things that come to mind when I compare SWM with IA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.