GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,409 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
65 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Greenpeace permanently damages the Nazca Lines to write shitty ad rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
You can't imagine how angry this makes me:

http://utero.pe/2014/12/09/9-fotos-que-demuestran-que-los-ge...

One would have thought that they would have used Photoshop given how much they love it. The fact that they call this a way to "honour the Nazca" in their press release is even more enraging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any photos of actual damage, like before and afters? All I am seeing from a cursory Google search is evidence of trespassing but no actual damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Weird because there are a lot of pictures. Here's an example of the damage. You can use Google Maps to see the lines before it.

https://twitter.com/Igmedna/status/542701978116030464

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
General_Norris wrote:
Weird because there are a lot of pictures. Here's an example of the damage. You can use Google Maps to see the lines before it.

https://twitter.com/Igmedna/status/542701978116030464

Ah, OK. I saw that pic, but wasn't sure it was all from them since there wasn't a "before" picture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't seem to be at all clear-cut.

http://www.peruthisweek.com/news-photos-reveal-possible-dama...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Where did you read that any actual damage was done to the lines?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
There is a before and after photo in that article.

That's super ironic and fucked up.

Yeah, but the before picture leaves something to be desired, there are other white areas in unrelated areas to the ad that show up in the after, but not the before. The After looks like it is contrasted/enhanced up a bit. I mean, the extra areas look like they line up with the ad location, but the other additional white areas do make it suspicious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying really hard to give a shit about any of this, but it's not working.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
bjlillo wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

Yep, you're too busy coddling terrorists today.

But if we don't send them fruitcake this holiday season, they won't send us Christmas cards????!!!

I don't think we're quite ready to write them off the list. Last week they DID come by with that lovely hummus and lamb kebab plate that you hogged.

Darilian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears that there was actual damage - they're being charged by the Peruvian government.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/peru-indignant...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:

Would it help if I said they were backed by a labor union?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
You'd think that an organization commited to preserving ageless rainforests would extend that mindset to preserving timeless archaeological sites. Or maybe not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's pretty shitty. But then, Greenpeace has slowly been fading into irrelevance. If they don't clean up* their act I hope they disappear soon.

* (get it, hur hur)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drunkenKOALA wrote:
You'd think that an organization commited to preserving ageless rainforests would extend that mindset to preserving timeless archaeological sites. Or maybe not.

On one hand they did have an archaeologist with them to help protect from damaging the lines themselves, so they did have the mindset, even if it might not have actually helped. On the other, they are concerned with the biosphere, not protecting human history, so it would have been consistent not to make any effort at all if they chose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
It appears that there was actual damage - they're being charged by the Peruvian government.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/peru-indignant...

Yes, Peru is indignant. They are making charges. Greenpeace says they made every effort to not do any damage and claim they did no damage. We'll see what the court says based on whatever evidence is presented which I am still not convinced actually exists.

This very well could be a government mad that their precious artifacts were used in a publicity stunt and attempting to use the heaviest charges they can to punitively punish the perpetrators.

Its clear in all the Greenpeace photos that the damage from the one alleged photo doesn't show up in theirs. I'm still not convinced, though I could be with better evidence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drunkenKOALA wrote:

In an interesting coincidence/parallel, the Nazca people who made the lines may have destroyed their own civilization by cutting down too many trees:

Wikipedia wrote:
From 500* AD, the civilization started to decline and by 750 AD the civilization had fallen completely. This is thought to have occurred when an El Niño triggered widespread and destructive flooding. Evidence also suggests that the Nazca people may have exacerbated the effects of these floods by gradually cutting down Prosopis pallida trees to make room for maize and cotton agriculture. These trees play an extremely important role as the ecological keystone of this landscape: in particular preventing river and wind erosion. Gradual removal of trees would have exposed the landscape to the effects of climate perturbations such as El Niño, leading to erosion and leaving irrigation systems high and dry (see Beresford-Jones et al. 2009).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:

So what cultural artefacts do you care about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Yes, Peru is indignant. They are making charges. Greenpeace says they made every effort to not do any damage and claim they did no damage.

They could both be correct. From the pictures I've seen, the actual lines themselves weren't disturbed, only some of the area around them. But perhaps the Peruvian govt considers the whole area as the "nazca lines" where Greenpeace was only concerned with the lines themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidDearlove wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

He has his whole Three Stooges DVD collection in a fire-proof safe that even his wife doesn't know the combination of. Let Greenpeace even try to get at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

He has his whole Three Stooges DVD collection in a fire-proof safe that even his wife doesn't know the combination of. Let Greenpeace even try to get at it.

And my boxed set of all the Bond movies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidDearlove wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

I'd be pretty upset if someone fucked up Star Wars. Like inserting a bunch of CGI graphics or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

If the Timothy Dalton discs got scuffed, would you be all that heartbroken?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
jmilum wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
Yes, Peru is indignant. They are making charges. Greenpeace says they made every effort to not do any damage and claim they did no damage.

They could both be correct. From the pictures I've seen, the actual lines themselves weren't disturbed, only some of the area around them. But perhaps the Peruvian govt considers the whole area as the "nazca lines" where Greenpeace was only concerned with the lines themselves.

That's quite a stupid rationale. Like saying that the Grand Canyon is just the land formation itself, not the space it spans. So let's just fill up that space with skyscrapers. It's not like the space counts.

It's like jazz. It's the lines they didn't carve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

I know Dalton was awful, but I have a real soft spot for The Living Daylights. When I was seven my pop pretended to "sneak" me out of the house after bedtime to go see that movie with him. He made a big show of making me be quiet and tiptoe out of the room I shared with my brother to get the clothes he hid for me in the hall closet, get dressed, and sneak past the kitchen where my mom was washing the dishes from dinner. (It genuinely wasn't until a decade or so later that it occurred to me that my mom knew the whole time, since otherwise she might have had a stroke or called the cops when she went in to check on us and I was missing.) I got to see James Bond and eat a big popcorn with butter and hang out with my dad. It was great.

It's one of my fondest childhood memories, and one I hope to replicate with my kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

I know Dalton was awful, but I have a real soft spot for The Living Daylights. When I was seven my pop pretended to "sneak" me out of the house after bedtime to go see that movie with him. He made a big show of making me be quiet and tiptoe out of the room I shared with my brother to get the clothes he hid for me in the hall closet, get dressed, and sneak past the kitchen where my mom was washing the dishes from dinner. (It genuinely wasn't until a decade or so later that it occurred to me that my mom knew the whole time, since otherwise she might have had a stroke or called the cops when she went in to check on us and I was missing.) I got to see James Bond and eat a big popcorn with butter and hang out with my dad. It was great.

It's one of my fondest childhood memories, and one I hope to replicate with my kids.

There wasn't the sneaking-to-the-movies aspect of it, but Bond movies were the one time my dad would let me cheat on bedtime as well.

Ah, nostalgia. There's something to be said for today when you can see what you want when you want, but there's also something about the magic of when a movie you wanted to see came up on ABC's Sunday Night Movie. It wasn't convenient, but it was magic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.