Suburbia» Forums » General

Subject: How mean is this game? (say compared do Castles of Burgundy) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlos Magno Rosa
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How mean is this game? (say compared do Castles of Burgundy)

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say it's slightly more interactive than Burgundy. You can "lake" tiles from the market to prevent your opponents from getting them even if you can't afford to buy it outright. The competition over goals can be pretty fierce. But there's still no direct interaction. It's still all blocking and trying to get there first as it were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Pete. It is definitely more directly obstructive than Burgundy in that you can take something out of the market that you don't need just to mess with another player. When people are jockeying to have the most of something it can also get confrontational, but not directly so. There is always something to buy for all players, it just may not be what you want. Great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eleon Forsht
United States
College Park
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SyKot wrote:
How mean is this game? (say compared do Castles of Burgundy)

Thanks.

I would personally say it is much "less" mean than Castles of Burgundy.

You can still block people by taking what they want, but for the most part that is all you can do, and that is just normally playing the game.

It is hard for everyone to gang up on one person, and there are less ways to be mean to other players.

I never felt like someone was mean to me in Suburbia, just cleaver to stop one of my tactics.

I have felt people and luck where "not nice" to me in Castles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trashing a tile that you know someone else wants and you have no need for is definitely mean. That probably should happen a few times a game. We have played Suburbia quite a bit and are probably a little more attuned to what should be trashed to affect others, but it is definitley not routinely confrontational on each play. Get the game you will like it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.