Popular Tags: bsw [+] [View All]
Erin Sparks
United States
Garden City
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have a good guide like "BSW for Dummies"? I played a few months ago and can't seem to find the same screens anymore and I'm totally lost. Downloading the client seems entirely different from using the website and neither makes any sense to me. I just want to start a game and invite a particular friend. Any help would be appreciated.

RockHPI

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eaton-Salners
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brettspielwelt.info

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Sparks
United States
Garden City
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read that FAQ but it wasn't much help...I need something written for someone with absolutely no idea what they're doing lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a little bit dated now, but still fairly accurate:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/77942

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bertrand Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll give it a shot, but I'm no BSW expert.

# All of this assumes you have java already installed. You probably do. Also, if these pages aren't in English, goto http://brettspielwelt.de/ and click the English flag in the lower left. I have no idea if this is needed or not.

1. Goto http://brettspielwelt.de/Community/Download/ and download the client.

2. Goto http://brettspielwelt.de/BSW/Community/Anmelden/ and create an account.

3. Install the client (ie, double click the download from step 1).

4. Goto the install directory (I think it's Crogram FilesBSW but I'm not positive).

5. Edit Brettspielwelt.prop (ie double click, may have to select notepad as the editor.)

# While editing, if a line starts with a # it's a comment (not read by the program). So if any of the lines I tell you to edit start with a #, remove them.

6. [Optional] Scroll down and find the "Name" and "Password" entries. Set them to your user info from step 2. If I recall the defaults are in brackets, remove the brackets when entering your username and password.

7. Find the "Nation" property. Set it to "en" (no quotes). This line might be commented.

8. Start up BSW. For some reason they make you click the splash screen to start, so you'll have to do that. You may also have to resize the window to get a nice space for the command area and the game area. Also, the larger the window, the better the resolution images it's going to use.

10. You should see the "waiting for players" area. This will show you the games that are waiting for people to join. If you just want to play with a friend, keep reading. If you want to get back here, you should be able to type /manager to get back.

# Note, there are two interfaces for getting to games at this point.
There is a button on the top right now that says "Mittspieler Gesucht" (searching for players? my german is rusty). Anyway, if you click that you can get to the the "Alle Spiele" (all games) and see a list of games. Right now you're in the main area where most of the games are played. I'm going to take you to the "english" area where less games are played, but for some reason I think it will be easier to describe how to start a game. Plus, you can see pictures of the games instead of going by the (german) text from the Mittspieler Gesucht" button.

11. Type "/manager eng" in the command area at the bottom (the grey part at the bottom). Select "All Games" This should be in english

12. Find the game you want, click it (btw, have your friend logged into BSW now).

13. You'll see a list of rooms that are available to play in. If you see little people sitting at the table, it means people are playing in that room, if you see people standing, they're watching the game. Sit at one of the empty tables (click the "Visit" button).

14. The game should now be loaded, you'll have to wait for the graphics to be down loaded first, and to be honest, this never works for me the first time. It's like it can't handle the DL and drawing the game all in the same go. If thats the case, just /manager eng again and start over. It should draw fine the second time.

15. Click the "Game" menu item at the top. A little pop up will appear, click "Join" in the popup.

16. Tell you friend to type /ghook . That should bring him into the room with you.

17. Have him join the game the same way you did.

18. Click "Start" in the game popup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Jansen
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Can I drive the bus?
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the guide that got me started:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/99969

It's a bit baffling at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad. I've found most of the BSW players to be pretty helpful to newbies. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Maybe we'll end up playing sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Sparks
United States
Garden City
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the responses-I hope to get a chance to try it out this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markku Jaatinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctorJ wrote:
This is the guide that got me started:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/99969

It's a bit baffling at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad. I've found most of the BSW players to be pretty helpful to newbies. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Maybe we'll end up playing sometime.

I've just updated the BSW Guide the a new version so that it reflects the changes in the game environment and web site. If you have any questions or comments about the guide, I'd be glad to hear them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.