GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,725 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island» Forums » General

Subject: Cellar overpowered? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

My gfriend and I just completed scenario 1 last night on the last turn (and me one wound from dying) so we decided to start another game.

In this game, one of the inventions that showed up was the cellar and if I understand it correctly, after you invent the cellar, every food from that point forward doesn't rot.

Is that correct? If so, it seems to be pretty powerful. Of course, one of the starting items is a pistol so we can hunt and get lots of food.

Oh yeah, with the pistol, can you use it twice to give you a temp boost of +6?

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is how the Cellar works. And yes, you can use the pistol twice.

Regarding "overpowered"...

...if you are really looking for a "balanced" game, well, then Robinson Crusoe is not for you. There are a lot of cards that are over- or underpowered, when compared to other cards, here. Some effects of Adventure cards are slaps on the wrists, some are an apocalypse. Some Events are laughable, some rip you into shreds.

That is the way the game works. You look what you get and make the best of it. Sometimes you catch a lucky break. Sometimes you wade kneedeep through yucky stuff, only to drown in it with the victory at your fingertips.

See, there are 30 Adventure cards to each deck. 29 are bad, to various degrees. 1 is good.
Then there are X (can't remember the number) Treasure cards in the Mystery deck. Of those, 1 is completely useless (as in "has no effect whatsoever"), and one is so mean, you wish you could exchange your character for another one.

Here there be dragons, and coconuts, and dice, and bouts of stupid luck as well as random evil.
Here there be no balance...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I was just making sure we were playing it correctly.

jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cellar is also only powerful if you're getting more food than you can eat. In the upper player count, this may be less likely, as a beast that gives you 4-5 food will last a day or two, tops. On lower player counts, you probably have better things to do than go hunting.

Don't get me wrong--it's a great invention. But a lot of its usefulness is contextual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing in this game is overpowered...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
Nothing in this game is overpowered...

Except the island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
And weather.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And cannibals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer Dad
United States
Ballston Spa
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uughhhh... cannibals
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dylan benton
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And Friday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I was wondering that too... in playing a 2-player game, we dug ourselves a cellar, then on our first hunting expedition, we found a gorilla, which was huge food-wise. I'm not sure we would've won without the cellar. Good to know we were playing it right though; as such a powerful effect, we weren't sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.