Lenny Raaymakers
New Zealand
Wanganui
flag msg tools
Avatar
We have made a house rule that NPC's automatically repair themselves (at no cost) once they reach their home planet. For the Merchant, that is the next planet on his list. For the Enforcer, it is the next Lawful planet he enters. The main reason we did this was because it would be unrealistic for the Merchant to carry on through pirate-infested space with only a few hit points left. It makes it more fun too! You have to get the Merchant before he reaches his next goal - and this is where the Sellsword comes in very handy! The Sellsword must go to his planet. The Scoundrel will only repair if he reaches his home when retreating after an attack.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mason
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this idea. What do you think about having the NPC ship wait to repair until the start of its next turn? It would leave the planet undamaged to continue its mission. Players chasing the ship to its home planet would get a last chance to finish it off before repairs go into effect.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you've houseruled Enforcer movement, he'll pretty much never repair then.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rav
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Let's take a thing that's difficult to do (Blow up ships) and make it even harder!

Not a fan of this idea. Fighting PC's is futile, so NPC ships relative fragility was the only bone tossed to those wanting to play pirates. Free repairs at every stop means their window of actually doing something shrinks even more.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenny Raaymakers
New Zealand
Wanganui
flag msg tools
Avatar
CiviliTalismaniac wrote:
I like this idea. What do you think about having the NPC ship wait to repair until the start of its next turn? It would leave the planet undamaged to continue its mission. Players chasing the ship to its home planet would get a last chance to finish it off before repairs go into effect.


That's a brilliant idea. Yes, that would make it very fun. We'll try that idea out! Thanks for the response.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenny Raaymakers
New Zealand
Wanganui
flag msg tools
Avatar
Gawain wrote:
Unless you've houseruled Enforcer movement, he'll pretty much never repair then.


We find the Enforcer is often too far away from a pirate ship (more than one sector) and has to then move to the furthest Lawful planet (as stated in the rules). But, yes, you're right. We don't often attack him because of the high bounty incurred. Thank you for your comment!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lorado69 wrote:
Gawain wrote:
Unless you've houseruled Enforcer movement, he'll pretty much never repair then.


We find the Enforcer is often too far away from a pirate ship (more than one sector) and has to then move to the furthest Lawful planet (as stated in the rules). But, yes, you're right. We don't often attack him because of the high bounty incurred. Thank you for your comment!


But he won't ever reach that planet, unless they are very close. Next time you activate him, the other planet might suddenly have become the furthest away planet :) (just to point that out, because I think you missed it)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely think that's a "bug" in the strict, literal Enforcer rules.

What we do is when it targets a planet, it will keep that same target until it gets there, or until it acquires a ship target.

IE, basically just make a minor house-rule type change to say that the Enforcer will target the previously targeted planet if it hasn't reached it yet. That way, it will do a more realistic "patrol" of the two Lawful planets.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rav
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
I definitely think that's a "bug" in the strict, literal Enforcer rules.

What we do is when it targets a planet, it will keep that same target until it gets there, or until it acquires a ship target.

IE, basically just make a minor house-rule type change to say that the Enforcer will target the previously targeted planet if it hasn't reached it yet. That way, it will do a more realistic "patrol" of the two Lawful planets.


Same. Ships should have memory, and not just blank out every round. Some people even use counters to mark the various NPC target locations.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenny Raaymakers
New Zealand
Wanganui
flag msg tools
Avatar
Gawain wrote:
Lorado69 wrote:
Gawain wrote:
Unless you've houseruled Enforcer movement, he'll pretty much never repair then.


We find the Enforcer is often too far away from a pirate ship (more than one sector) and has to then move to the furthest Lawful planet (as stated in the rules). But, yes, you're right. We don't often attack him because of the high bounty incurred. Thank you for your comment!


But he won't ever reach that planet, unless they are very close. Next time you activate him, the other planet might suddenly have become the furthest away planet (just to point that out, because I think you missed it)


Hmmm. That's a good point, haha! We normally just remember which planet he was on his way to and he continues that route (unless he sights a pirate), but strictly speaking, you're absolutely correct!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lorado69 wrote:
Gawain wrote:
Lorado69 wrote:
Gawain wrote:
Unless you've houseruled Enforcer movement, he'll pretty much never repair then.


We find the Enforcer is often too far away from a pirate ship (more than one sector) and has to then move to the furthest Lawful planet (as stated in the rules). But, yes, you're right. We don't often attack him because of the high bounty incurred. Thank you for your comment!


But he won't ever reach that planet, unless they are very close. Next time you activate him, the other planet might suddenly have become the furthest away planet :) (just to point that out, because I think you missed it)


Hmmm. That's a good point, haha! We normally just remember which planet he was on his way to and he continues that route (unless he sights a pirate), but strictly speaking, you're absolutely correct!


Yeah it does seem silly, and I think we'll most likely house rule that in from our next game on, just for realism's sake.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.