Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
OK, even though my version of FOR SALE is dated 2005, I seem to have the 'old' rules; where the example for Passing (on pg 6) contradicts the explanation on Passing. i.e. rule= take back money ROUNDED UP. example = take back money ROUNDED DOWN!

All the threads I have read on BGG on the subject are contradicting each other and I am still as confused as before I read these threads about what is the correct rule!

Therefore, WHAT IS THE CORRECT RULE round up or down? And jokes aside, no more contradictory posts on the subject please!

Also, could someone clearly explain whats happens if one person or even everybody runs out of money before all cards have gone during the bidding phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You bid three you pay two
You bid five you pay three

And if everyone played so poorly to end up in that state, then based on the standard procedure for who bids first in the next round, that person would have to pass, taking the lowest card, and around and around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to contradict that. surprise

If you bid five, you take three back and pay only two.

Also, in the new edition, you must bid more than the previous player. In the original, you only had to match him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Example from the new edition.

"if a player had previously bid 3 Money Chips, but ultimately decides to pass, he takes back 1 Money Chip into his hand. The rest are returned to the bank and are placed out of the game."

Of course that does contradict the preceding rule :

"... He also takes back half of his Money Chips (rounded up)."

Solution? Just bid in even increments

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First, check the "Answers from Uberplay" thread, which says you round up.

Second, the game plays much better and makes more sense when you pay half rounded up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You pay rounded up. Game is awesome for up to 6 and clocks in under 15 minutes.
Simply amazing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ok thanks - as most replys seem to say rounded up, I'll try one game rounded up first and one rounded down, to see which works best. the uberplay thread is one of the threads with contradictory views - like this one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hmmmm, I hadn't noticed the contradiction in the rules (new version). We've been playing you take back half (rounded up). I must have missed the part where it said the opposite. Taking back the lesser half does make more sense though. I wondered why they expressly said that you could open the round by passing. I thought- "Sure you could, but WHY? You can always bid one and pass when it comes back around to you. You force the other players to bid higher, you could end up with a better house, and you still pay nothing." Opening the auction with a pass would never make sense- unless you were broke. Paying the bigger half to the bank, would make a round opening pass worthwhile in some cases. I'll have to reread the rules, and try it out the other way next time we play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ok I got this answer from Uberplay:

The only rule that is ambiguous is this:

When you bid, you pay have to the bank rounded up. So if you bid 3 and pass, you pay 2. If you bid 5, you pay 3. If you bid 1 you pay 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
and this:

Yes, the rules are printed wrong and we will fix on our next printing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.