Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Champion Eternal
Malaysia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When the "Animal Supply" deck is exhausted, the scoring occurs at the end of the round.

What is the definition of a "round"?

Say in a 4-player game:
Player A is the player who started the game off, Player B, C and D are second, third and fourth players, respectively.

After a few turns, Player C took the last animal in the first animal supply deck.

When does scoring occur? Does it happen:

1. After Player D ends his next turn, (thus ending a complete Player A,B,C,D round, ensuring all players have had the same amount of turns in the game) or

2. After Player B ends his next turn (this ending a Player B, C, D, A round)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Speth
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. After player D. All players get an equal number of turns before scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's correct. It's very important that you remember who took the first turn of the game, because the person to his right gets the last turn of each half of the game.

There's some important strategy involved with this setup. Player D has a definite advantage, as he's the only one who can take the lead and then make sure that nobody else gets a chance to pass him by burning up the last of the animal deck. If Player A burns up the animal deck, though, he knows that everyone else will get one more turn during which they could catch him.

So if you're the last player to take your first turn, your goal in life is to take the lead in the same turn where you use up the last of the animal deck. ANY lead will do, since no one else gets a chance to score after you do. The earlier in the turn order you are, however, the bigger your lead had better be when you take that last animal card, because more people will get another turn after your last one.

This is why I like the variant where you score stuff whenever you place it, rather than messing around with this first-half/second-half stuff. The score-as-you-go variant only makes you go through one animal deck, and it saves all the mental score calculating, which is perfectly obvious anyway. Why not score it as you build it so that you don't have to do all the mental adding?

I'm not a big fan of games that make you play for points but don't make them easy to track as the game progresses. I did a Geek List on this subject called "This Game Needs A Scoreboard." I was a bit surprised at how controversial the subject was, but it was a fun one to kick around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fazekas Tibor
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello DSHStratRat2,

which is the variant you speak of? It is one of the official one which can be found in the rulebook?
I think, that it is a great disadventage to be the first player!

Thanks for your answer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhaul wrote:
Hello DSHStratRat2,

which is the variant you speak of? It is one of the official one which can be found in the rulebook?
I think, that it is a great disadventage to be the first player!

Thanks for your answer!

Yes, the variant to which I was referring is in the rulebook. Basically, you score pieces whenever you place them on the board. That way, all the animal cards go into one deck--there's no "halftime" scoring, so you only get your points for left over money at the end of the game.

It does change the strategy a bit, but I think it does so in a very good way, particularly for new players to the game. Under the original rules, there's a big scoring advantage to players who place Haciendas in the first half of the game, because that way they get to score those first-half haciendas twice. Players waiting until the second half of the game to place a hacienda only gets to score it once. Under the variant I use, you score the hacienda when you place it, and then it gives you an extra point for any pieces you add to whatever it's sitting on. For example, a piece of land added to a hacienda'd chain of land is worth three points rather than two.

For new players, the biggest mystery of this game is figuring out who the heck is winning at any given moment. But if you teach them how to play under this variant, that stuff is much easier for them to see because they get their points as they earn them rather than all this "place bits now, score bits later" nonsense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
When a player connects a chain of 5 with a Hacienda.. to a chain of 5 already on the game board.. is the land tile that connected the chains worth 8 points?

Yes, that tile nets you 8 points. (Technically, it's only worth three and the other 5 land tiles just jumped from 2 to 3 points each, but it sounds like you knew that already.)

Quote:
Also.. when you place the 3rd land tile.. to create a chain.. do you score 6 points for the 3rd land tile?

Yes, you score 6 points when you place the third land tile.

Because of easy-to-miss points like this, we always do a recount at the end of any Variant 2 game (like you do playing Ticket to Ride) before adding the money points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slovakia Steph
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Slovak flag...proud 7/8 Slovak, 1/8 Polish
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a game today and had this question arise.

brahman and Champion:

Where do you find this in the rules? All it says is "when the round is done." Why is it not a round like TtR:E, for example, when the stack would be finished at the end of Player A's turn, and then B,C,D, and A would go?

If not, it seems like A would be at a disadvantage.

Also, since there's not a designated start player, who went first in the game doesn't seem to be important-- if it was, you'd think the designer would note that in some way.

Thanks,
SK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve+Jackie McKeogh
United Kingdom
Okehampton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite often rules lose something in translation from their original language. With German rules, the definition of a 'round' appears to be universal: namely each player taking their action once around the table from the start player to the last player. The definition in English seems to vary.
The original German rules state that, 'the youngest player begins and the game continues in clockwise order'. Scoring is done: 'At the end of this round, when the last player has ended his turn'.
In the original German this could not be interpreted any other way than scoring taking place once the player to the right of the youngest (start) player has finished his turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liallan G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fledermaushaus wrote:
The original German rules state that, 'the youngest player begins and the game continues in clockwise order'. Scoring is done: 'At the end of this round, when the last player has ended his turn'.

I know the thread is 7 years old but... it says this in my English rules as well, except that it says to choose a start player (instead of youngest), but otherwise says exactly the same thing, including the bold print. I don't think there's any doubt about it. Of course, it's also very possible they changed this in the English rules at some point. I downloaded the rules probably 2-3 years ago directly from RG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.