Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

If I have no money and want to build two factories, do I add up the cost of the factories and sell enough shares to cover this amount or am I forced to sell shares to build the first factory and then sell additional shares, at a then lower stock price, to build the second one?

Same question where I am paying the administrative cost to place the action marker and then building a factory. One stock sale or two, with a reduction in share price between the two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludwig Seitz
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Building the two factories is one action. Therefore I would assume that you sell shares in order to be able to afford the action as a whole. Nowhere does it say that you have to split it up into sub-actions.

Placing the administrative marker (and paying for it) is also part of the same action, by the same reasoning I would assume you total the cost of your action, otherwise the rules would have mentioned that you need to fund the sub-steps separately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Risthaus
Germany
Wolfsburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ludwig Seitz wrote:
Building the two factories is one action. Therefore I would assume that you sell shares in order to be able to afford the action as a whole. Nowhere does it say that you have to split it up into sub-actions.

Placing the administrative marker (and paying for it) is also part of the same action, by the same reasoning I would assume you total the cost of your action, otherwise the rules would have mentioned that you need to fund the sub-steps separately.

correct. It is all one action and you summarize the total costs before selling shares in emergency.
Take a look at Spinning Jenny Rulebook, page 11 bottom right: all costs are paid together, only in the first games you should pay administration costs and single costs step by step to keep track of what is going on.

Note: the additional action is separated! You have to complete your main action before taking a development marker. Thus, you may have to do an emergency share sale for machine action and then another one for paying the inventor for the first time (second etc. payment is part of the main action!).

Stefan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

How about the special case of taking a stock market action and selling stock? If I have no money, do I need to do an emergency sale to pay the administration cost or can I take the administration cost out of the money raised by selling stock as part of the stock market action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Risthaus
Germany
Wolfsburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, that is indeed a specific situation. Because that is not a straight "total all costs you have to pay" you have to split the action in two phases like "one step forward and two steps back":
Phase 1: You first have to sell a share to pay the administration costs as an emergency selling (and move back your share value indicator on the track).
Phase 2: Then you can sell shares regularly to get fresh money.

Stefan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.