United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One problem novice players seem to experience is mid to late game hand burnout.

"I have nothing to play."

The new optional rule, Reallocate Resources (see separate thread), should not be what normally solves this for you, and might not work anyhow - if you don't have any more land battles with Russia, you won't find another with Reallocate Resources.

Planning, planning, planning
I like planning stuff. My favorite to play is the Japanese. I like removing the metal lid to a gourmet plate arranged just so.

The most obvious thing to do is stop thinking about the best thing you can do on your turn, but consider the best time to play a specific card. The United Kingdom can' beat Germany and Italy alone, so why bother pinging Western Europe until you've got the US and the Soviets there to help. So save your cards, especially your harder to get ones.

Play down those status and response cards early
Whatever mix of support cards you're given, figure out a good fit and setup your strategy. If you play a strategy that wins or loses by turn 14, you can be sure that you will find it tough playing the right cards on turn 15.

Don't ignore the deck manipulation cards
Rosie the Riveter not only moves you through your deck, but allows you to place late game cards at the bottom, to be retrieved when most potent.

Rationing allows you to comfortably use those precious build army and land battle cards early, as well as other potent events.

Superior Planning helps the German player know and determine what card(s) might be discarded to their status cards. Losing better late game cards (e.g. Conscription) to a discard is a shame.

Some Cards work forever
Status Cards that allow you to discard from hand to do something are more effective later in the game. I myself don't generally discard during the discard step if I feel pretty comfortable with my next turn's plan. This means that you end up with a few cards you don't want that much after a bit. These cards allow you to flush bad cards and not waste good cards.

Those cards that you discard instead of playing a card from hand have the added benefit of being used in a deficit situation. So even if Germany is completely out of cards, they can lose 2 VP to build an army with conscription, and if they're lucky, they can lose another VP to Bias for Action and another to VP Blitzkrieg. So while four points were lost to gain four points, you'll agree the change in position wasn't pointless(sorry about that).

Italy has Bravado. Yes, 3 VP is a lot. But getting the American's out of
Western Europe might save you 7 from Firestorm Bombers!

Resistance and Free France are very useful for the UK late game.

While not from hand, Flexible Resources also works when you're out of cards but at 4 VP per use, you'll need to be careful. If you're reading this far you probably know that I'm pretty much begging people to always use the 30 point Tournament Victory, and in this circumstance, it's not available to abuse.

Women Conscripts is the Soviet late game savior. It doesn't destroy the enemy, but a lot of times the Western Allies can take care of that.

Japan of course has a bunch of Response cards that, when played early can save the late game. Japan needs to be very careful not to waste Build Armies early on. Japan has the hardest late game of all, if it discarded response cards early to get through to the build armies and land battles.

Conclusion
Managing your game over 20 Rounds is crucial to success. For the Axis, you may be looking for a Tournament win somewhere between Round 11-14; and if that doesn't happen, do you have the resources to be competitive on Round 20? As the Allies, can you afford to take the turn 20 view when the Axis are ahead by 28 points at the end of Round 10? That part you'll have to work out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Love
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very useful strategy advice, thankyou.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Martin
Canada
Charlie Lake
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
IanBrody wrote:

Some Cards work forever
Those cards that you discard instead of playing a card from hand have the added benefit of being used in a deficit situation. So even if Germany is completely out of cards, they can lose 2 VP to build an army with conscription, and if they're lucky, they can lose another VP to Bias for Action and another to VP Blitzkrieg.

I didn't know it was in the rules to do that, thanks! I knew you could discard cards from your hand instead of your deck if your deck was depleted but I didn't realize you could choose to lose victory points to use cards if your deck and hand was depleted.

One thing I like to do with the U.S. when possible is use firestorm bombers over and over again with the help of Flexible Resources to destroy Germany's deck... It's nice to know I can still use it when my deck is gone. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all of your strategy articles.

Some Cards Work Forever
What you are saying here is that Status cards can be funded by VPs if you have no cards from your Draw Pile or Hand left. I'm happy to use this possibility, but it is not implied in the rules to me either, and should be expressed more specifically in any FAQ/rules revision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
Thanks for all of your strategy articles.

Some Cards Work Forever
What you are saying here is that Status cards can be funded by VPs if you have no cards from your Draw Pile or Hand left. I'm happy to use this possibility, but it is not implied in the rules to me either, and should be expressed more specifically in any FAQ/rules revision.

I guess I thought I covered it in the third paragraph on page 12... but I don't disagree the FAQ couldn't stand to have further explanation; the next version will include some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Martin
Canada
Charlie Lake
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Rereading paragraph 3 of page 12 I can see why you thought we should already know that. . I guess I glazed over the sentence "this may be a result from an enemy card or from the use of your own card".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry--I don't see it there at all. Paragraph Four (Bolded) refers to losing points instead of cards, but more in the sense of being penalized than as a possible voluntary alternative action.

Because this is a new system, certain things that may seem to follow from other things still need clarification. Not that I haven't had my Homer Simpson "D'oh!" moments over these rules, I admit...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.