Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: australia [+] [View All]
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.. we are considering setting up a local distribution center in Australia since we have some contacts there. How is the market for boardgames down under? How about the pacific in general? Would it be feasible to send games from Australia to Asia, as opposed from Europe or US to Asia?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wills
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marqzen wrote:
Hi.. we are considering setting up a local distribution center in Australia since we have some contacts there. How is the market for boardgames down under? How about the pacific in general? Would it be feasible to send games from Australia to Asia, as opposed from Europe or US to Asia?

Thanks.

http://www.ventura.com.au/ and http://www.milsims.com.au/ are both existing distributors I think...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi... Thanks. Well we already have contact to a potential distributor. I was more curious about the market in general, and if it would be a smart locale for sending out copies to the region in general. Or if we might as well send from the States or Europe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hmmm... no takers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Adlington
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Market is pretty small Christian. Both the aforementioned distributors keep it 'quite' small by charging quite a markup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kidd
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Well, I wouldn't like to comment on the economics of shipping from Australia to Asia in comparison to distributing from North America or Europe, but I think part of the problem of the Australasian game market is that many games are now produced in China, shipped to the U.S. or European publisher and then shipped to an Australian distributor for the sometimes long distance shipping to the Australian retailer. The two times across the Pacific or Asia seems absurd to me and must account for the high prices here. If someone could short cut that process I am sure there would be money to be made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
OzGamer wrote:
Well, I wouldn't like to comment on the economics of shipping from Australia to Asia in comparison to distributing from North America or Europe, but I think part of the problem of the Australasian game market is that many games are now produced in China, shipped to the U.S. or European publisher and then shipped to an Australian distributor for the sometimes long distance shipping to the Australian retailer. The two times across the Pacific or Asia seems absurd to me and must account for the high prices here. If someone could short cut that process I am sure there would be money to be made.

Hear, hear.

As witness the locally printed copy of Carcassonne which is available at $40 instead of $55 or so.

I don't know the exact economics of shipping to Asia instead of from the US but some factors might include

- proximity to area
- relatively weaker Australian dollar

On the other hand, I believe Australian minimum wage is considerably higher than in the US. Although that was before the government legislated to remove workers' rights (grumble grumble).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Lockett
Australia
Rockingham
Western Australia
flag msg tools
OzGamer wrote:
...but I think part of the problem of the Australasian game market is that many games are now produced in China, shipped to the U.S. or European publisher and then shipped to an Australian distributor for the sometimes long distance shipping to the Australian retailer. The two times across the Pacific or Asia seems absurd to me and must account for the high prices here. If someone could short cut that process I am sure there would be money to be made.

This is the classic Aussie hobbyists' dilemna.

It's for this very reason I believe that Tandy (Radio Shack) never fared too well against the cannier Aussie electronic 'enthusiast' stores such as Dick Smith, Altronics, etc.

There was a time (20 years ago) when the same could be said about model railway equipment however in this case (Mainline by Palitoy... yeah, I know, I have too many hobbies...) the Aussie prices were better - this is the only time I've ever ever seen this.
These days, nearly all major brand equipment is sourced from China yet we're still paying as if it's sourced from the brand's country of origin.

That's why the FLGS (if you can find one in W.A.) or the FLHS only attract the rich or occassional hobbyists and everyone else would rather go fishing & four-wheel driving - it's cheaper!

There has also been the odd local retailer to buys direct from S.E. Asia under some shonky arrangement and then they have the hide to charge RRP equivalent to/greater than NorthAm/Euro prices.

The other issue in Australia lies with distributors. It's a situation analgous to Hasbro owning the Avalon Hill catalogue except that the distributors may represent more than one hobby!

You're at the whim of what they (the distibutors) think will sell in volumes.

Consequently half of the stock of gaming chain-stores' boardgames in Western Australia consists of different chess / backgammon / Monopoly / Scrabble variants - oh and Poker seems to be enjoying a b-i-g revival.

Throw in the Risk variants, Warhammer (Fantasy & 40k), Yu-gi-oh, MTG, and the parlour games staples of Pictionary, Scattergories, and the like, and you're left with about 10% (if not less) available to these strange, unknown games with piss-weak box-art and some teutonic-looking words (Carcassone, Settlers) which doesn't inspire the average browser or games about trains which must be nerdy because trains are for geeks, right?

In all fairness, at least the Euros are sort of catered for - I bought the last 'real' war-game our "FLGS" had about six weeks ago (Jedko's African Campaign - 2nd Edition, I think).

If it wasn't for BGG, I would never have given the 'Euros' a second look and bought the "Carcassone:The Castle" which the wife and I enjoy.

To find a decent game store (at least in Western Australia) it involves some travelling if you like to have a browse. The prices are such that if you're at the store and want it there and then, it's 'cheaper' but otherwise it's your FIGS that best 'supports your habit'.

To Christian, unless you're prepared to set up in Australia, deal directly with S.E. Asia, and distribute from Australia, passing on regional benefits to Aussie buyers, IMHO, as we say over here, you'll be "pushing poop uphill with a bendy stick"

Thread hijacked.... spleen vented.... blood pressure returning to normal..... ahhhhhhhhhh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Christian, what sort of games are you thinking of distributing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.