Subject: Let's go on a mission! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aurélien Defossez
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Since daybreak got out, we play with Earth, but we rarely attempt the missions. I think the reasons why we don't do them is:
- Before sleeper phase, I personaly don't want to use a lot of good cards on a mission that may empower the humans too much in case I become a Cylon;
- After sleeper phase, we don't have time anymore to go through the deck and there are (usually) 2 cylons aboard, ready to make it fail.

So basically, the Demetrius is used for the captain's quarters, providing cards to all players. But we want to do missions (and see the rebel basestar, but that's another story)!

Does anyone have a variant to push players to do missions? We were thinking about these changes:

Bridge: Look at the first mission, and either decide to play it or put it under the deck.
Tactical plot: Look at the first two missions and put each one on top or bottom of the deck.

What do you think about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure your variant will make the missions happen, since the overlying issues will still be true. (You don't necessarily want the help missions before becoming a Cylon, and you don't have skill cards post-sleeper.)

For our part, we usually take on one or two missions during an Earth game, all pre-sleeper. Post-sleeper, nobody has the time or cards to make them happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are holding back too much before the sleeper, do your humans win?

Most missions are good when taken as early as possible. (See above: ) Making specific missions easier to find does not help passing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aurélien Defossez
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our humans win less than usual indeed, but we're ok with that.

So we should try missions early. Do you try missions blindly or do you use the tactical plot to find an interesting one?

(I still think this variant may be useful to teach us humans the importance of missions, for a few games at least)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Didjor wrote:
Do you try missions blindly or do you use the tactical plot to find an interesting one?

If we have gotten enough cards, and it's early, then going blindly is good, because most missions are good the longer game you have ahead of you. If you happen to have hidden cylons, blindly is even better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mb
In my opinion, the best way to encourage Missions is simply to eliminate Demetrius.

Quote:
Earth Rules

No Demetrius.

Locations: A Mission may be activated from the "Communications", "Command" and "Weapons Control" locations. Do not draw a Crisis card this turn.

The Research Lab has been replaced with the Captain's Cabin. It can only be activated once per turn.

The "Launch Scout" Skill Card can also look at the Mission deck.

This prevents the need for dedicated Demetrius players, and allows them to multi-task on other useful locations, or by playing Launch Scout cards. It works especially well with the CFB, when action efficiency means that you simply cannot deal with space/Demetrius/other stuff at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to force Missions into greater prominence, then how about this:

When you Jump, if there is no Mission in the active Missions space, reveal the top Mission and resolve the "Fail" effect (including discarding or shuffling back into the Mission deck as appropriate).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aurélien Defossez
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't know about the no-demetrius rule.

Quote:
Locations: A Mission may be activated from the "Communications", "Command" and "Weapons Control" locations. Do not draw a Crisis card this turn.

What does "may" signify here? Can a mission be drawn instead of a crisis as soon as one of these locations have been activated during this turn?

Quote:
When you Jump, if there is no Mission in the active Missions space, reveal the top Mission and resolve the "Fail" effect (including discarding or shuffling back into the Mission deck as appropriate).

That sure would force missions, but it's also waaaaay harder for humans, and this variant would result in a blind mission before each jump.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Missions are typically done to get distance. It is easier to attempt pre-sleeper phase when there aren't any cylons. However, this does push sleeper phase up sooner.

Post sleeper, the 2-distance one only takes red and bbrown as negative, despite being 25 difficulty, so unless there are pilots and/or Treachery dealt out, it should be doable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It simply means that anyone on Command, Comms or Weapons Control gains Action: Activate Mission.

It's not an official rule, of course, but I think it makes things more streamlined when going to Earth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.