Maciej Teległow
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO theme is strong in BISON. Your pieces (dudes,meeples) are hunters of one of the clans (family groups) of Nez Perse tribe. The Spring has just started (after hard winter) and they go from their winter camp to hunt. The goal is to bring as much food as possible to the village (represented by the red sign on the board) before winter. This is very thematic, because life for native tribes was rather easy during warm seasons (a lot of food) and very hard during winter (food nearly non existant).So it was normal to live very well in summer and gather food for hard time. This is shown very well in the game. The family group which brings the most food to the camp gathers most prestige and fame and wins the game (also very thematic). There are three different kinds of food, all of them meat, with the same value (also very thematic). In the beginning hunters do not know where are the places with most game so they have to find out. This is represented by adding tiles and putting cubes (hunters) there. They are ones who went from the winter camp to look for food for winter and decided to stop in that place and start to hunt. Meanwhile (during next phases and turns of the game)they can decide to travel to other areas (movement in the game) in which they hope to find more game. They cannot stay in areas where other families hunt which is also very thematic because families lived during summer in small groups not near each other but meeting sometimes (scarcity of food). Three ways of moving cubes are also thematic because it really shows how hunters travels in search of good hunting grounds, calling to place being the real gem of implementing theme into the mechanics. Building of tipis and canoes is very thematic also showing bigger hunter bases with women and children staying there. They free Your hunters to hunt in other areas cause they traveled vast distances from home to hunt. Costs are very thematic too. During movement there is no real difference do they eat fish, birds or bisons (beef) but when You take (birth or rather adultery) new hunters and build tipis or canoes families use not only meat but also bones, furs, feathers and so on. The cost dependance of number of hunters is thematic also which i do not have to explain . The distribution of game in the area (scoring) is very thematic also with most strong getting all, next getting half and next getting what it has in his own area. Finnaly the scoring is very, very thematic showing how native tribes fested during time of plenty (droping meat to zero before score) and gatherd food for winter.
Bison is very thematic game showing how life of tribe looked like during warm seasons taking into consideration the specifics of hunters and gatherers way of life, their dependence of meat, must to prepare for hard winters and important role of prestige.
The game has very interesting mechanics (even if not revolutionary, i do not care), tense decision especially in the end game and i agree can be prone to AP.
And when we speak about the theme, the theme is very strong here !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Boone
United States
Berea
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: The theme in Bison IS very STRONG and well implemented !
And of course the fact that canoes on rivers cannot move is also thematic! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Beckey
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The canoe represents a claim on a particular fishing spot.

yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, um, what's thematic about buying tipis at "the market"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens www.spielefreun.de
Germany
Heinersreuth
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext is really cool. The best 100 GG I've ever spent.
badge
Well. I'm actually bored with overtext. Why did I give all that GG away?
mbmbmbmbmb
And especially: Buying more Indians at the market?

Is this gonna becoma another colonists=slaves thread? shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.