GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,152 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Tortuga» Forums » General

Subject: How good with 2? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Diego Andrade Salerno
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How good is the 2 player game? Worth it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diego have a look at this thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1181646/piemasters-review-to...

It is a review someone wrote and I commented my 2 Cents. I do not recommend playing Tortuga as a 2-player game. The variant for two is just a stopgap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toby
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played with 2 tonight. First play was very meh, but we realized we got a rule wrong (Queen appears to have passed the rules through google translate several times, resulting in referring to the bonus modifiers to your die rolls being referred to as "bonus points", which we foolishly assumed were, y'know, points) and then I had a tiny brainstorm and enjoyed our second play much more.

I'll post the minor variant I brainstormed in that forum, but basically: if you "win" the expand the fleet or recruit pirates actions and do so unopposed (i.e. the other player does not play a die in that area of her player board) you bump your fleet/pirate level up TWO spaces. This better mirrors the +1/+2 dynamic of the multiplayer game.

Similarly, if you go treasure hunting and do so unopposed, you draw a treasure chest and TWO face down treasure tiles and pick one, thereby mirroring the "1st Place" win in multiplayer.

Also, play with the "Value of 1" (option to use a die as a "1" of anything) from the designer's "Advanced Rules" posted in the Files Section on BGG, and play with Queenie 1. The Queenie 1 treasure/power tiles add a LOT. I'm thinking about ways to incorporate Queenie 2, possibly as rotating player power bonuses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.