GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,385 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

John W
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lately I've received a number of orders placed by brand new user accounts with no shipping address. I write back asking for a shipping address and don't ever hear back, and eventually I cancel the order.

I don't quite understand why this is happening, since there's no way this would benefit the other person, if it were indeed a scam. There's no address, so they can't receive the item. At first I thought it was a lost, helpless newbie fumbling with the marketplace, but... it's too coincidental. I've had three of these in the past week or so. Anyone know what's going on?

Edit: Retitled thread to accurately reflect the fact that nobody's actually been scammed out of anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Worrel
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Recent Spate of Scam Orders in Marketplace?
I've noticed the same thing. When I don't get any response to a followup geekmail, I cancel the order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think calling this a scam is inaccurate. No one is out anything but the time it takes to cancel the order, and even if someone were foolish enough to ship a game to a given address without receiving payment first, it would be hard to be too sympathetic.

It's close to Christmas, and people are shopping online. There's a good chance that someone came here from a Google link, registered an account thinking that they could order a game from here just like they could from Amazon, and never returned to check their Geekmail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Flood
United States
Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had one(The BGG account had only the state listed.), but with follow up emails I got the shipping address and the payment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chee Peng Ang
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people might have placed an order for the first time and got lost somehow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Verkisto wrote:
No one is out anything but the time it takes to cancel the order

It removes the item from the marketplace, which means actual paying buyers can't see it or try to buy it until it is cancelled and returned to the marketplace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jana Wazowski
Canada
Kanata
On
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
happened to me too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley M
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Greatest Game Ever
mbmbmbmbmb
stlm wrote:
Verkisto wrote:

It removes the item from the marketplace, which means actual paying buyers can't see it or try to buy it until it is cancelled and returned to the marketplace.

So in reality its probably someone with market listings on the same item using new accounts to pull items cheaper than their own from the market so it looks like theirs is cheaper?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The things people think of to cheat the system ... wow. Even if it isn't true, I never would have imagined something like that. surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it might have to do with the awkwardness of the system. Sometimes I forget that it forwards to my email (specifically junk email)instead of continuing to take you through the market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Riddlebox85 wrote:
stlm wrote:
Verkisto wrote:
So in reality its probably someone with market listings on the same item using new accounts to pull items cheaper than their own from the market so it looks like theirs is cheaper?
This has been happening on BGG for longer than you think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Wazowski1964 wrote:
happened to me too.

Just again for me. Canned it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined. -- Lord John Whorfin
mbmbmbmbmb
Riddlebox85 wrote:
stlm wrote:
Verkisto wrote:

I call bullshit.

I've been selling in the BGG Marketplace for a long time (eight plus years) - I don't believe this is what's happening.

About 10% of all my sales are cancelled due to new users not understanding how the system works. It gets worse during the holidays because more people are driven to the site who aren't regular users.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Steffen
United States
St. Louis
MO
flag msg tools
badge
Trust Yourself!
mbmbmbmbmb
artfuldodge2 wrote:
Riddlebox85 wrote:
stlm wrote:
Verkisto wrote:

I call bullshit.

I've been selling in the BGG Marketplace for a long time (eight plus years) - I don't believe this is what's happening.

About 10% of all my sales are cancelled due to new users not understanding how the system works. It gets worse during the holidays because more people are driven to the site who aren't regular users.

Don't know how the system works AND don't know how to respond to a simple polite email and/or geekmail?

I just had one myself. Frustrating when they have an email listed on their account and they don't respond to polite inquiry, and when you can see that they have been on BGG since you GM'd them and they don't respond to that either.

If it's not some sort of calculated attempt to mess with your listing, at the very least it's a simple matter of human decency.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
artfuldodge2 wrote:
Riddlebox85 wrote:
stlm wrote:
Verkisto wrote:

I call bullshit.

The two I've had have been identical in structure. Limited information. Foreign buyers for items clearly marked as for sale to the USA. I don't think they are other sellers (as one item had no other sellers at the time or after), I think it's just someone being mischievous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Steffen
United States
St. Louis
MO
flag msg tools
badge
Trust Yourself!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just had two more, purchased by users who just made their accounts on the same day they placed the order... That's three for me in the last week.

WTF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something fishy going on.

On 12/11/2014 I listed a copy of Ra for sale in the marketplace. Like new, unpunched, for $39.95.

On 12/17/2014, early in the wee hours, a new user (registered 12/17/2014, sometime in the wee hours as well) made a purchase without a shipping address.

I checked the marketplace, and lo and behold, someone listed a copy of Ra in "Very Good" condition for $40 on 12/16/2014.

I clicked "cancel order," but my copy hasn't returned to the marketplace listing on the Ra page yet. I guess there's a period of time before it reappears?

Is this something that can be brought to the attention of the BGG admin? Can they match up IP addresses of these two users to determine if something foul is afoot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.