Subject: Are there synesthetes here on the Geek? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Paul Delano recently opened a post in which he asked colourblind people for some input on a design of his: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/128282. This got me to wondering about the following: are there people here who are synesthetes? And if so, what do you experience when playing games?

For those of you who go 'synes-what?': synesthesia is the condition in which two or more senses are tangled. When you hear words, you experience taste. When you see letters, they appear to have a colour. Synesthesia is not a disease, and what it feels like cannot be experienced by non-synesthetes, unless they chemically alter their neural thought processes by taking drugs. You can find more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia. (For the record, I am not a synesthete.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a friend who kind of is, and her brain links different colours to letters and days of the week, so names and days give her a sense of colour. I'll have to ask her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not one, but I always imagined that winning a game of Princes of Florence against Fawkes and Linnaeus would taste like chocolate. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"I prefer the term `artificial person,' myself."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Tangently related:

http://www.fakejazz.com/reviews/cud.shtml

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Peters
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why, is smelling it better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Glidden
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hrm... I think I might be one! Often, when I see a particularly attractive woman, I feel ... well I feel something else. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spencer
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
MORE UberText!!!
badge
UberText!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not, but both my mom and one of my sisters is. For them, different sounds produce various colors in their visual fields. Seems pretty cool, but not something I inherited myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Till Bockemühl
Germany
Cologne
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A very interesting book regarding synesthesia is "The Man Who Tasted Shapes" by Richard E. Cytowic.

Quote:
Mostly for me, abstract things (especially periods of time) have particular shapes.

I have the same sensation with the time span of "a year". I doubt though that this qualifies even remotely as synesthesia. I would simply call this an "association". Just the way smell can evoke vivid memories of childhood.

Synesthesia is a very strong connection between 2 or more different senses. You really "see" the sound in your visual field or really "feel" the taste in your fingertips. Although there is certainly a continuum to synesthesia, strong associations are not indicative of synesthesia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
LEHaskell wrote:
Hmmm, this got me wondering -- is GROGnads a synesthete?

GROGnads induces synesthesia in others. He's a carrier. Even dogs see colors in his presence!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carlton
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. Maybe someone will be able to give a definitive answer as to what's considered a meaty game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Johnson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
By the way, the number 2 is yellow, the number 3 is green or orange, the number 4 is blue or purple, the number 5 is red or orange, the number 6 is orange, . . . 7 is always purple.

Interesting. You are the first synesthete that has similar colors associated with numbers as I do. All other synesthetes I know have them wrong.

I once wrote a very good poem that unfortunately could only be appreciated by me, as I was the only one who saw it in the right colors.

As far as advantages go, I find that I can learn foreign languages rather quickly, and math always came quick as well, because the color associations with the words improved my memorization. The main problem I've found is when I first started working with non-latin alphabets. Until Aleph had a color, I could not for the life of me learn Hebrew, and Greek was only slightly easier as I had some color associations from all of the algebra variables I had dealt with. Once I had used them long enough to see them as colorful letters and not weird black squiggles, the language came much easier.

In regards to gaming, I find card counting easier than most people I know, but then again, most people I play with don't usually even attempt to keep track of what has been played. I wish I could definitively say that Princes of Florence tasted like fine wine, and Munchkin tasted like dirty socks,gulp but that is not the type of synesthesia I have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara
msg tools
badge
mb
I have vaguely synesthetic tendencies in as much as certain sounds (often music) trigger smells. The sound/smell combinations are always consistent, too.

Similar to what Drew describes my minds eye "sees" the last few centuries in a way that resembles a long cord, or a measuring tape. It's difficult to describe, but that's just how my mind has determined to "track" time in a somewhat visual manner, with each decade sort of twisting off in a different direction. Not classic synesthesia, but as I had never discussed this with anyone before I found it interesting to read these posts and learn that others visualize things in a similar way.

For a cool, fictional view of synesthesia check out Jeffrey Moore's The Memory Artists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.