GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,455 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men» Forums » General

Subject: Buying options for casual play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
OK I know this is an old topic, but I can't decide what to do. I think my daughter would like this game for Xmas since she likes gaming a bit, and likes comic book characters a lot. OK so it's for both of us, but will be a surprise for her.

I managed to order a copy of UXM Starter for £7 when it was on special, and in order to get free shipping I added 13 boosters.

Since that gives us probably 15-21 different characters, I was thinking that should be enough to get us started with a reasonably varied character selection.

Then I realised we probably won't have enough of the right dice to use full teams, because we will only have 42 dice in total and it's unlikely the distribution will be such that we can easily make 2 teams of 20 dice.

So the options I have seem to be:

1. Order more UXM boosters. If so, how many, maybe 10-15?

2. Order the AVX starter - best price I can find is £13 from Amazon. Seems this would give better value than more boosters, but not sure if we'd be better off sticking with UXM on its own for a while?

3. How do setup boxes fit in? TBH they don't look like particularly good value, their main draw actually being the storage solution they provide. But they seem very limited in terms of new chracters and character dice.

4. AVX booster? Doesn't seem a great option - better to leave these till we have the AVX starter? If indeed we like it enough to get more. Also I haven't seen these available at £1 each which is what the UXM ones cost.

5. I guess another option is to open the boosters when they arrive, see what we get, and see if it affects the decision. Then wrap them all together. But was kinda looking forward to opening them together at Xmas, for a bit of added excitement.

Anyway, thoughts are appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People are looking to sell complete lots of dice and common/uncommon cards for cheap. Far cheaper tha. Searching through boosters.

You can then visit the various fan sites and proxy any rare cards.

For myself, I buy 1/3 to 1/2 of a gravity box worth of boosters and have been fine as well, but if I were to do it again I would use the above route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
I really appreciate the suggestion, and I certainly see why that might work for some people, and probably should have listed it as a possibility as I'd seen it mentioned before. But I had kinda ruled it out:

1. It's an Xmas present, surprises are nice. Unopened stuff is nice.

2. We're not going to be playing seriously, just casually at home. So a whole set isn't necessary, and would be quite a big investment when we haven't played it yet.

3. Uncommons cost 95p each from Chaos Cards, you can pick the ones you want and don't need to buy all of them. Since the full sets are going for £30-£35 on ebay.co.uk, ebay doesn't seem to save much if anything. At least not here in the UK, maybe they go for less in the US?

4. I did crunch some numbers on the CC prices and, as you'd expect, they are reasonable - you get 2 cards in a £1 booster which might potentially have rares in it. Even if they are both common, you have only wasted a few pennies. Once you have a big collection and unwanted repeats become much more likely, this becomes less economical. At that point it makes sense to just buy/swap for what you need. If you are really that into the game (which realistically, we probably won't be).

For these reasons, I figured it will be more fun, and not much more expensive, to just use stick with the standard entry routes and buy starters plus a few boosters to begin with. I don't see us getting serious about it, we will probably just want to be able to have a reasonable selection and ideally field 20-dice teams.

I appreciate the suggestion, but not sure it's for us. Unless I'm missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Also I guess the underlying question is whether we should stick with UXM (whether through more boosters of buying a whole set) or get the AVX starter.

If we did go the ebay set route, I think that's only really a viable option for UXM as we wouldn't have the starter cards for AVX.

So perhaps I should also add the caveat I don't want to spend more than another £15 max. So max 15 UXM boosters vs the £13 AVX starter seems the choice to make.

Setup box would be a stretch especially given the apparently poor game play value. Again, unless I'm missing something?

Sorry if a lot of this is just me thinking out loud... blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Let us go out this evening for pleasure; the night is still young."
badge
STOP! WHOSE TURN IS IT NEXT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't get the setup box. It's for wacky collectors (like me). Get the AvX starter for more characters. Boosters can come later if she really enjoys the game. The amount of bars trrs and dice in the starter is a great value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
doctor poo wrote:
Don't get the setup box. It's for wacky collectors (like me). Get the AvX starter for more characters. Boosters can come later if she really enjoys the game. The amount of bars trrs and dice in the starter is a great value.

OK, sounds like I was right about the setup boxes, thanks.

The reason I'm not sure about the starter box is that I already have the UXM starter on order. So the basic action dice and SKs will all be unnecessary, which reduces its value. I guess it breaks down as:

AVX Starter: 16 character dice, 8 characters with 3 versions of each, 10 new actions. 34 new cards in total. Certainty of what you're getting.

13 UXM boosters: 26 character dice, up to 26 new characters. Uncertainty - possibility of rares but also possibility of duplicates, which could be good or bad.

I guess that's why I'm finding it a tough call. Boosters will get us more dice but the starter guarantees more new characters and actions.

In terms of the UXC characters vs AVX characters, is there a significant preference I wonder? I gather there is also some duplication between the 2 sets, but the dice are different. e.g. Spider-Man is a AVX starter but an UXM booster. But it's ok to play with a mixture of both dice types as the numbers etc are the same, right?

And err.... 'bars trrs'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:

AVX Starter: 16 character dice, 8 characters with 3 versions of each, 10 new actions. 34 new cards in total. Certainty of what you're getting.

Yup. Plus remember, the characters in the starter are not possible to find in the boosters except as an extra non-duplicate uncommon card. And more actions is a good deal, though CSI (Cool Stuff Inc) sells action cards for very cheap.

Quote:
13 UXM boosters: 26 character dice, up to 26 new characters. Uncertainty - possibility of rares but also possibility of duplicates, which could be good or bad.

Eh, I don't find it bad. Even if you get a duplicate, you need the dice.

Quote:
I guess that's why I'm finding it a tough call. Boosters will get us more dice but the starter guarantees more new characters and actions.

In terms of the UXC characters vs AVX characters, is there a significant preference I wonder?

I like having the variety, no preference between the two. Before I got boosters it was fun to do a limited draft (6 cards per player, less dice) and play that way. Yes, only two dice per character, but that just made every die more valuable and allowed more opportunities for building up to the big characters without dying to weenie character rush.

Quote:
I gather there is also some duplication between the 2 sets, but the dice are different. e.g. Spider-Man is a AVX starter but an UXM booster. But it's ok to play with a mixture of both dice types as the numbers etc are the same, right?

In casual play, pretty much, unless someone is being prickly for some reason, in which case I wouldn't casual play with them. The dice for the characters between sets are, as far as we can tell, the same, just differently printed/colored.

Quote:
And err.... 'bars trrs'?

Welcome to the joys of BGG'ers trying to post on mobile devices with "autocorrect".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gordon
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:
And err.... 'bars trrs'?

My best guess is 'characters'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for sharing.

I should probably include a 3rd option - stick with the 42 dice and up to 40 character cards I have already ordered.

Is that enough for decent 20-life games?

I guess I'm also looking at the AVX starter characters (and the UXM boosters) and seeing characters I know she likes... personally I'm not that bothered, but having the right characters might be more important to her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gordon
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the AvX starter is a really solid option. The basic actions are great to have, and it gives you a great variety of characters and cards. It doesn't have 'Wow!' factor of opening a booster or 10 and getting a rare or even a super, but that may not even be as big of a deal for her as getting a card for her favorite characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jed Roguski
United States
Dumfries
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a trading forum (I think HCrealms) and traded my rares/ utra rares from about 30 boosters for the dice/ cards I needed for casual play. I bought one of each starter, and after all the trading I was able to acquire an entire common/ uncommon set for both sets with 2 dice for each character. It took some time and patience, but we have loads of fun drafting from that pool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Zane
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I can recommend bigorbitcards.co.uk if you want to buy singles instead of trying to get specifics in boosters. Also, they sell dice on their own for 25p per die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Tang

Fresno
California
msg tools
Where can we find cheap complete lots of dice? Ebay prices arent that cheap.

I just need two complete sets of common dice.

Also all my local store vendors are telling me AvX starters are likely discontinued and they wont be getting any more, where can I buy a set for cheap?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't know that you will find them 'cheap' while they are in short supply, in the UK most stores I could find are out of stock, and the standard price in the few stores with (or awaiting) stock is just under the £20 mark.

I just went ahead and ordered the AVX starter from Amazon for £12.99. I think I got lucky with the £7 UXM starter and £13 is reasonable. I doubt they will stop reprinting so long as they keep selling out? But being on the fence already I won't take the risk.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.