GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,607 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Shadows of Malice» Forums » General

Subject: An example of a Hunter Quest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Felli
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a sample Hunter Quest card for you guys to weigh in on (I hid another sample quest in this thread). This quest is the second easiest kind: "go get me something from a specific type of beast."



Getting the Quest:
Quests are assigned by mystics. When a quest is accepted, the player gets the quest card and a quest token from the mystic. The player puts the quest token on the leftmost number on the quest card (a 3 in this case). When the avatar finds the creature type it is looking for – either in a lair or by provoking an encounter – it engages in combat. After combat, after the avatar has harvested soulshards from the creature, the avatar may attempt to harvest the quest item. To do so, the avatar makes a LR against the target number covered by the quest token (a 3 in this case). If successful, the avatar obtains the quest item! If not, the quest item was too damaged by combat or harvesting to be of use. In that case, the player moves the quest token to the next number to the right (a 2 in this case) and the avatar may try again: this requires the avatar to find another creature of the specified type, defeat it, and make a new LR against the new target number to successfully harvest the quest item. Eventually, the avatar will succeed. Remember: LRs may be modified by invoking soulshards (including those just harvested by defeating the creature itself)!

The cost of undertaking this particular quest?
Time... for the Shadows to build... and some personal risk to the avatar's life and resources due to the combat requirement.

The benefit when the quest gets turned in?
For a creature of power X, the avatar gets its choice of 2+X soulshards of any 1 color of the avatar's choice (e.g., 4 red shards from a power 2 creature) or 2+X random potions (of potentially different colors)!

Caveats:
Harvesting is part of ending combat, so it does not count as an action. Also, the players should use the Creature Generator to improve their chances of finding specific types of creatures... different creature types are more likely in specific terrains.

Other Stuff:
As noted in this thread, there will be several types of quests (Gatherer, Hunter, Seeker, Reaper are my working types) of varying levels of difficulty with rewards ranging from a few shards to "epic items." What is an "epic item"? Hmmm... I'm thinking about stuff like a tome that can banish a Guardian, or a ring that can steal abilities from creatures...

Whatcha think?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bogert
Japan
Amagasaki
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
http://chrisbogert.wixsite.com/chaturanga-family
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, these look cool so far. I like the idea of getting the quests from mystics. I saw the one in the other thread as well.
Also in the caveat part you noted that certain types of monster are encountered in different terrains, so that will make going to certain terrains more beneficial (unless you fail). I like that idea. Same goes for that gatherer type quest, makes going to certain terrain types important.
I always thought linking things more to the different terrain types would be cool and this looks to be a great way to do that.

The benefits are quite nice as well for completing the quests.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff T
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisbogert wrote:

Also in the caveat part you noted that certain types of monster are encountered in different terrains, so that will make going to certain terrains more beneficial (unless you fail). I like that idea.


Terrain is already important in the game. Many of the items in the game give you bonuses against certain kinds of creatures. You can make those items more useful by looking at the creature generator and trying to pick your fights in regions where you are more likely to encounter creatures against whom those items are effective.

I will say I welcome anything that gives me a thematic way to add to my soul-shard horde. Still I expect most players won't accomplish very many quests before the end of the game, lest the shadows get away from them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wiggins
United States
Kingwood
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Uh! It's this darn dice tower!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this looks amazing. The only thing I'm concerned about, and I'm speaking only from two half-games worth of experience, is finding the right type of creature. I haven't paid much attention to the creature generator to try to ensure I run into this type of creature or the other, but I do know that I've never had the opportunity to use a scroll against a creature of a particular type because I never end up crossing one. How about an item that lets you modify the creature roll? A +/-1 to the "type" die to improve chances of encountering what you're looking for? That might make it TOO easy and be a horrible idea. Just a passing thought.

Another idea I had for a reward while considering these quests- The Mystic teaches you a new skill, draw another Mastery card to add to the one you already have.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff T
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, wow, I know that you can use a clear soul stone to reroll most any die in the game, but I'd never considered doing that for creature generation. Asking about an item to modify creature rolls makes me wonder if it is the designers intention that clear soul stones could be used this way already, or if this would seem like a natural extension of the existing system.

I also wonder if some kind of luck roll rule might be reasonable for encountering a specific terrain-specific creature type instead of just a random one. For instance if I'm attempting to provoke a monster attack, maybe an additional successful luck roll against a 5 would allow me to provoke the creature I'm looking for.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Felli
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
squeg wrote:
Terrain is already important in the game. Many of the items in the game give you bonuses against certain kinds of creatures. You can make those items more useful by looking at the creature generator and trying to pick your fights in regions where you are more likely to encounter creatures against whom those items are effective.

You're right, Jeff. The Creature Generator uses a 1/2, 1/3, 1/6 probability distribution to determine "common", "uncommon", and "rare" creature types for the different terrains. This can be quite useful in developing one's strategy for attacking lairs and strongholds.

squeg wrote:
I will say I welcome anything that gives me a thematic way to add to my soul-shard horde. Still I expect most players won't accomplish very many quests before the end of the game, lest the shadows get away from them.

I suspect that quests will be more valuable in mid-long games or games with several avatars. I also suspect that Hunter Quests will prove useful in both strengthening avatars while at the same time influencing their choice of lair to attack.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Felli
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
krakrs wrote:
How about an item that lets you modify the creature roll? A +/-1 to the "type" die to improve chances of encountering what you're looking for?

I've been thinking about "bait." I'm still unclear as to whether I want:

1. "Bait" to be given by the mystic along with the Quest;
2. "Bait" for a Hunter Quest to be an item gained from a Gatherer Quest;
3. "Bait" to be a use of a soulshard...

Either way, you are on track with what I was thinking: "bait" can give you a helpful +/-1 offset to your creature type roll.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Felli
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
squeg wrote:
Asking about an item to modify creature rolls makes me wonder if it is the designers intention that clear soul stones could be used this way already, or if this would seem like a natural extension of the existing system.

This actually ties in with the "bait" idea... my original thought was that colorless soulshards would not be useful in this manner (they will have another use against corruptions). What I need to think hard about is whether or not I want to use the concept of "bait" and/or create new items (e.g., "Woodland Pipes", "Marsh Chimes", etc.) that not only affect the likelihood of attracting certain types of creatures but also increase an avatar's performance/harvesting in some manner...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wiggins
United States
Kingwood
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Uh! It's this darn dice tower!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jcfelli wrote:
krakrs wrote:
How about an item that lets you modify the creature roll? A +/-1 to the "type" die to improve chances of encountering what you're looking for?

I've been thinking about "bait." I'm still unclear as to whether I want:

1. "Bait" to be given by the mystic along with the Quest;
2. "Bait" for a Hunter Quest to be an item gained from a Gatherer Quest;
3. "Bait" to be a use of a soulshard...

Either way, you are on track with what I was thinking: "bait" can give you a helpful +/-1 offset to your creature type roll.


I say "Mystic Dog Whistle" to attract mammals. haha

The more I hear about these quests the better it gets!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian M.
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So excited for this! I love the idea of quests as a viable alternative to Lairs, and it really makes the Luck items and Masteries MUCH more appealing. I never really bothered to prepare (or look) for a specific type of creature encounter before, now? you better believe I'll be headed to into those Wilds to gut me an Arboran! Wow, just wow.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.