GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,813 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Game with LOTS of variable player powers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Need to get a Christmas present for a friend, and he tends to like games which have lots of different "characters" or roles or such to choose from. He also likes quite combative games. He's a proper gamer, so complexity isn't an issue, and we have a whole group of gamer friends, so any player numbers are fine.

I know he already has:

- BattleCON: Devastation of Indines
- Mage Wars
- Cosmic Encounter
- Sentinels of the Multiverse (both the card and minis game)

Any other ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ole Nielsen
Denmark
Samsø
N/A
flag msg tools
mbmb
In the lower complexity scale: Smash Up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goulding
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
badge
What a productive day!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tomorrow has asymmetric player abilities, though I haven't played it so I can't say anything about the game itself. A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) is another one with variable player powers but again, it's one I haven't played.

The Resistance: Avalon has different player roles available if you want something more social and lighter.

Not much but might give you something to investigate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Older game but still available I believe: Primordial Soup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ferrer
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game with the two expansions, Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game – Sudden Death and Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game – Foul Play. The expansions add more teams and a few more mechanics. Each team has different strengths and weaknesses and feel very different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Octatrack
United Kingdom
Rochdale
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duel of Ages II and if he's a really good friend, Duel of Ages II: Master Set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam above remind me to include one of my favorite titles - Cave Evil. It is a brilliant game and meets your criteria. Copies will soon be hard to come by, so having a copy in one's collection is a rare and beautiful thing for a gamer.

As a backup, I will recommend the more widely known Chaos in the Old World.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcadia Quest each player draft a team of 3 Heroes with different powers, and competes completing quests and fighting each other thru a variable campaign. You can further customize thru gear and skill upgrades between scenarios.

Cthulhu Wars would also be great, but it's unlikely to be available by Christmas if you didn't preorder and all the miniatures make it expensive.

Kemet and Eclipse might also be good choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Longardner
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Plus 1 for Smash Up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantin Lasko
Poland
Krakow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if this is exactly the thing that your friend is looking for, but how about Small World (2-5 players, goes to 6 with the expansion)? You choose a race and special power combo for your people and the combinations are different every game.

I'll list some more games and I'll write the number of players in brackets after the game name for your convenience.
7 Wonders (2-7) game has different starting conditions and player's powers with an awesome draft and simultaneous turns mechanics. And the art there is awesome.

Imperial Settlers (2-4) has 4 different player decks and one common deck to draw from. It's a card game where you build your own empire. It has a lot of positive reviews.

An awesome game for 2 players with totally asymmetrical gameplay is Android: Netrunner. This is a really cool game, totally recommend it. That's a LCG, but even the base box can provide enough replay-ability with 7 different decks.

A Few Acres of Snow (2) has a very interesting mix of draft and area control mechanics.
Blue Moon Legends (2) has a lot of different decks that you choose to battle with your opponent. And you can even customise them to add more replay-ability.

From the games that were already mentioned, I can also strongly recommend
Chaos in the Old World (2-4, goes to 5 with the expansion).
Smash Up (2-4)
Mage Wars (2) is actually one of my favourite games I've ever played.

Edits: added links to the games on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Heroes Wanted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley
United States
Ball
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing to consider is all of the fan made expansions for Sentinels. http://meromorph.com/tangent/cauldron/

Not official of course, but lots of good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neuroshima Hex! 3.0 has tons of different factions to play, all very different. When I've played it, the game was... fun, but not quite 'there'? And yet I really want to like it because I love variable player powers too.

Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends only has three different decks in the base set and one expansion (plus another in the works, according to Filip Murmak at BGG.con), but the asymmetry is really sharp (I'm a strong player with the Empire decks and worse than useless with Highland) and it's a good game, so, worth considering.

There's also Mage Knight Board Game, but I see you've rated it a 10 so I take it you're familiar with it.

If he likes BattleCON, there's Pixel Tactics (same universe and designer) -- which leader you choose has a big impact on the match, though you're also leading a team of a bunch of other characters (so it's less single-character-centric than BattleCON).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys! My friend already has a few of those mentioned (including Smash Up). I think I'm gonna go with Blue Moon Legends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
RoboRally - we start with four options each and get another each time we touch a wrench! We love options ... (We also only have a start flag on a board edge, a first target flag across the board, and a last target flag somewhere near the start flag. That way the leader has to come back into the teeth of the followers, and the game's not too long ...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shameless self promotion, but it is my masterpiece:

Whack & Slaughter

I'll bet you will have a hard time finding any more combat in combination with almost endless customizability than this game.

Best part of it:
The rules are free, you just need to provide miniatures, terrain and dice. Lots of dice

If there are any questions, just ask - I'll be happy to reply.

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wendler
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
If your friend is a fan of Dungeons and Dragons, The Order of the Stick Adventure Game might be an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgamergirl (Ashlee)
Australia
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic encounter expansion!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.