Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
VT: VERMONT
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I just got Prophecy and ran through a couple of games and although I have never played World of Warcraft, I have read enough of it to note that some of the aspects "seem" similar (put out hazards and 'quests' across the board as players march about, dealing with whatever weirdness pops up before them).

What's the opinion around here? How similar are the games once you get around the graphic representation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Chapman
United States
Sarasota
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
I have played both, only own Prophecy. Warcraft is definitely different. Prophecy has more of a Talisman feel, Warcraft has two teams fighting for common goals with little team combat till the end. I think Prophecy has a much better endgame, the two times I have played Warcraft it turned into a fight between the two teams because we couldn't complete the endgame in the proscribed number of turns.
Production wise Warcraft wins over Prophecy. Cool looking minis and good card/board stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the two only compare to the point they are both what we call adventure games. That is, indeed, that you run a character through the land to complete quests, get better and eventually accomplish some final goal.
However, they are different in the way they do that. As has been said, Prophecy more ressembles Talisman. You move around a track, except you can choose how. WoW has you move all over a large map cut down in zones, a bit more like Runbound run on a Risk-type map.
Propehcy is a bit lighter, and feature many humorous pieces. The way your strength is linked to your health is also original.
WoW is all about character development. While in Prophecy you can upgrade your health and magic stats and learn some skills at the appropriate locations, in WoW each class of character comes with a deck of more than twenty cards they can buy or receive when they gain a level to customise their character to an extent that you won't find elsewhere, as is the case in the computer game from which the boardgame is inspired.
The other big difference is of course that WoW is a game between two teams of player while Prophecy, like much of the other adventure games, is a free for all.

Since the endgame has been mentioned, it's well-knowned the the final pvp fest in WoW is often long and boring. WoW specify the first team to defeat the Overlord (the Big Boss of the game) in combat is the winner. Should no team fullfill this requirement by the end of game turn thirty, the game end on a big pvp. However, alternative rules exist, and nothing prevents you from carry on playing until the Overlord is defeated. Another alternative is to give each team a chance to defeat the Overlord at the end of the 30th turn, and no one is the victor if they both fail.
The endgame in Prohpecy also implies pvp but it's not the endeavour it is in WoW. In fact, one of the player has to possess four of the five artifacts, and players have to fight each other to steal the artifacts from their opponents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.