Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

VivaJava: The Coffee Game: The Dice Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: 5 Flavor Dice is enough? And Donate question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Mitchell

Peoria
Illinois
msg tools
mb
I am confused as to how 5 flavor (black) dice is enough for a four-player game.

Example: Ann rolls 2 black beans and takes 2 flavor dice for her turn. Bill rolls 2 black beans and takes 2 flavor dice for his turn. Ann and Bill choose not to roll their flavor dice again until their turn comes around (they decide not to roll to "donate" flavor dice to another player. Chad rolls 2 black beans. There is only one black flavor dice left.

Are the flavor dice limited? I guess maybe they are meant to be, since page 8 says "the limited supply" of Flavor dice.

................

If I decide to try to Donate flavor dice, do I HAVE to roll all of them? If I have 3, can I choose to roll only one?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Flavor Dice are meant to be limited.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckm1961 wrote:
If I decide to try to Donate flavor dice, do I HAVE to roll all of them? If I have 3, can I choose to roll only one?



Yes, Flavor Dice are limited.

And you must roll all 3 if you want to Donate.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TC Petty III
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
XENON PROFITEER 2015!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ckirkman wrote:
chuckm1961 wrote:
If I decide to try to Donate flavor dice, do I HAVE to roll all of them? If I have 3, can I choose to roll only one?



Yes, Flavor Dice are limited.

And you must roll all 3 if you want to Donate.

And to add, any dice that are not used by the active player return to you. So, if they take zero, one, or two, you still get the remaining back.

Also Flavor dice MUST be rolled with your dice on your next turn, so they go back to the coaster again. Flavor is also a trap, use it wisely, and not too often.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Mitchell

Peoria
Illinois
msg tools
mb
Why do you call flavor a "trap"? Curious to hear your answer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckm1961 wrote:
Why do you call flavor a "trap"? Curious to hear your answer.


When you take Flavor dice, you're basically wasting a turn in the hopes of getting a much bigger turn the next time...do it too often and everyone else will probably pass you by and you won't be able to catch up.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
garry_rice wrote:
chuckm1961 wrote:
Why do you call flavor a "trap"? Curious to hear your answer.


When you take Flavor dice, you're basically wasting a turn in the hopes of getting a much bigger turn the next time...do it too often and everyone else will probably pass you by and you won't be able to catch up.



Also, TC is a grump. Flavor is delicious.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Mitchell

Peoria
Illinois
msg tools
mb
Yes, but 3 flavor dice with re-roll and with the ability to change the dice faces is almost (not quite) a guarantee that you will have great results on your next roll. That's what I did last game. Made a four-brown featured coffee without much trouble.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckm1961 wrote:
Yes, but 3 flavor dice with re-roll and with the ability to change the dice faces is almost (not quite) a guarantee that you will have great results on your next roll. That's what I did last game. Made a four-brown featured coffee without much trouble.


True, but think about it: you basically give up a turn to get those dice (using a turn to grab them gets you no research points and no blend). That next turn had better be good because the last turn was wasted in getting them. Burning a turn to grab flavor dice is probably not as bad if you have the Rainbow Blend because at least you are still scoring a point. But if not, you are sacrificing a turn in hopes of a giant turn. Like TC said, do it too much, some of those turns won't pay off like you hoped and then it really does become a wasted turn.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TC Petty III
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
XENON PROFITEER 2015!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckm1961 wrote:
Why do you call flavor a "trap"? Curious to hear your answer.

what everyone else said for me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK WADDLE
United States
Austin
texAS
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like flavor too !!

And I am putting this game on my 10x in 2015 list
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.