GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,145 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Risk» Forums » Variants

Subject: "Balance of Power" Implementation Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
El Lic
Mexico
MTY NL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
"Risk:Balance of Power" is in my opinion one of the best editions of Risk ever! Although not perfect, it introduces some clever mechanics that improve the playing experience for two players. Some of the ideas introduced in BoP work so well that I believe they should have been adopted by the traditional version for 3-5 players. At least the concept of a strong active neutral player could have been kept by the traditional game as an optional rule.

My main personal complaints against traditional Risk have to do with a poor supply of strategic decisions, the lack of substantial balancing factors and bland 2-Player game. Once a player takes the lead he becomes unstoppable. Balancing ideas like special powers paid with casualties and an active strong neutral player work very well and definitely enhance gameplay without sacrificing simplicity.

These house rules implement certain elements taken from “Risk Revised Edition”, “Risk: Balance of Power”, “Risk: Halo Wars” and “Blood and Honor” (IOS app) to the latest version of traditional Risk.

The 2-Player turn sequence was adopted (with some tweaks) mainly from the “Two Player Rules V2” by Los28. Thanks man!

The idea was simply to integrate the cleverest elements from BoP and some new ideas taken from “Blood and Honor” (IOS app) and other sources into a full Risk game for 2-5 players. I made a few tweaks just to hold it all together, always trying to preserve the original concepts as much as possible.

There are still some rough details that I haven't tested properly like the cost of SCAs, the number of starting neutral troops and neutral reinforcements. I’m also working on a simple combat system with different types of units and new SCAs that I expect to add in the near future.

"Balance of Power" Implementation Variant

It's still on Beta stage so feel free to post any comment or suggestion you might have. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Lic
Mexico
MTY NL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Play-testing Sessions 1 & 2

Session 1: Our play-testers are ready, bring it on! (and yet he looks excited LOL)

Deployment

Interesting scenario

Middle game

Session 1, Game 2 (bombardments should be either more expensive or less lethal :s)

Scary! (neutral armies are now a major threat behind the lines)

Strategical Analysis (someone's in trouble)

The blue threat is growing!

Session 2, Game 1 (the turn sequence needs some tweaking)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Lic
Mexico
MTY NL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
OK here's V.1.5 Beta, past version showed some flaws after play-testing so I've come up with a few substantial changes and adjustments:

* In order to retain the original flavor we are sticking back to the original turn sequence in 2 player games, there's no more a neutral player's turn so using the neutral army is simpler and quicker now. The neutral army's reinforcements and attack will now be resolved at the beginning of each player's turn like in the original BoP. We're only retaining the original winning/loosing player assessment from Los28's system. Only the losing player will get neutral reinforcements now, possibly he will be the only one able to attack with the neutral player in our next release but this idea needs more testing.

* The neutral army's troops are now deployed on the Sites like in the original Bop. There are 6 sites to be placed randomly so each game will be and feel different. The first 3 sites will have 15 neutral troops each and the last 3 will have 10 troops each, 75 in total. This change provides a varied challenge in every game. The neutral army will be more powerful than before so it will now play a more significant role, first as a threat behind lines and later as an equalizer for the losing player during the latest stages of the game.

* Also like in the original BoP, Special Combat Actions can now be purchased and resolved before drafting troops and attacking. The past sequence (purchase and resolve during attack phase) turned out to be better suited for Blood and Honor where the playing cards are limited. Our past sequence tended to favor the winning player if he happened to lose some battles, and it also reduced his advantage dramatically if the losing player happened to suffer heavy losses, which in neither case was the gaming effect we were seeking. The whole concept behind the SPAs as a balancing factor is with the losing player in mind, the goal is to hinder the wining player in order to give a chance to the losing one, not ruining the game for both players.

* Some other changes and balancing adjustments were made. For instance: Bombardments and Atomic Bombs are now more expensive and less lethal.

"Balance of Power" Implementation Variant V.1.5 (Beta)

It’s still a work in progress so use it at your own risk any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Strabala
United States
Hiawatha
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
With a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the effort being put in here! I'm looking forward to more developments/refinements posted here.

Thanks for posting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Lic
Mexico
MTY NL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I really appreciate your interest, any feedback or new ideas you could provide will be greatly welcomed as well. BTW: thank you very much for the tip good sir! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.