Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Dennis
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you that are painting the minis ... are you painting them and then glueing to the base or glueing and then painting?

I'm a total painting newb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
Giant Fire Breathing Robot
badge
gfbrobot.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Paint, then glue. I wouldn't want to get errant paint on the clear bases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alyn Roddis
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MyParadox wrote:
Paint, then glue. I wouldn't want to get errant paint on the clear bases.

How are you holding the models while you paint them? I can't figure out how to do that - none of my usual methods are working.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Paton
Canada
St. Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I put a drop of hot glue on the head of a roofing nail, and stuck one of the foot pegs in the glue. That way, you've got the roofing nail to hold onto while you paint. Try not to get the glue over the top of the foot.

The model should just pop right out of the glue, make sure to use craft stuff, not the heavy-duty stuff. I also use a piece of pink Styrofoam insulation to hold all of the nailed models.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alyn Roddis
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, that's a good idea. If only I had a glue gun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Sinnett
United States
Philomath
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotta ask, because I never actually found a specific answer the last time I was looking...

Good primer to use on these minis (and presumably also the GSF minis)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't gotten to painting mine yet, but here's a thread with specific primer recommendations (pro and con): https://greaterthangames.com/forum/topic/dont-use-this-prime...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't vouch personally, but a lot of the people I know who paint minis recommend the brush on type primers for the kind of plastic used by >G.

I've only ever painted metal in the past, but I'm going to give these a go soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alyn Roddis
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've finally started painting mine, and I went for Vallejo brush-on primer. Seems to be working well.

As for the bases, I've covered them with tape and put the minis in them without glueing. Once I've finished painting I'll remove the minis, remove the tape, and then glue the minis in to the nice clean bases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wilde
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I glued them to the bases first, then started adding colour. Wish I hadn't. The bases get in the way of some spots on the miniatures. Oh well, it's not like this is fine art. A bit of colour is all I need to readily identify miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Dabrowski
United Kingdom
Hove
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use blu-tack to attach the figures to champagne/wine corks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Sinnett
United States
Philomath
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a jewelry-making 'third hand' from Michaels. It's a heavy base with a couple of pivot points and a pair of tweezers mounted on it. Have the tweezers grab the figure's foot-posts so they're steady, let the feet themselves rest on the side of the tweezers, and you're golden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.