Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul D
Australia
Carnegie
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
When you do a move action, do you have to 'expend' a spaceship (i.e. move it down to the destination planet)? As far as I can tell, the answer is NO (unless you move 1 space, then claim a tile).

The reason I ask is this: Imagine I have 1 spaceship in orbit at Earth. On my turn, I move it to Mercury. On my next turn I move it back to Earth. It seems like I, and everyone, could just keep doing this, and the period can go on forever. But the rules state that you cannot take an unlimited number of actions in a period (the implication being that, eventually, you'll have to take a pass action).

So, am I missing something? Or is it just that, strategically, you'll eventually want to take a pass action? i.e. doing the above perpetual 'null move' would be possible, but not optimal -- you'd be better of taking a pass action, or using that spaceship to claim a tile. If this is the case, that's cool. But I just wanted to check to make sure we weren't doing something wrong...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I think that's possible. But, you won't do that as it doesn't help you. Taking a cube will grant you a card and is better than just moving back and forth and letting your opponent take cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Weihrauch
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed you can move your spaceship back and forth between planets until someone takes the last pass cube or you finally decide to claim a tile which would have you landing it or possibly destroying it (e.g. because you rolled skull symbol).

But as Charlie already pointed out it might be pretty useless as others could get all the cards from pass cubes. Maybe one reason to keep on moving would be to wait until you can claim the last pass cube in order to get first player which can be a huge advantage at times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jukka-Pekka Tuominen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmb
JoystickZ wrote:

But as Charlie already pointed out it might be pretty useless as others could get all the cards from pass cubes. Maybe one reason to keep on moving would be to wait until you can claim the last pass cube in order to get first player which can be a huge advantage at times.

And it is also the tie breaker in case of tie which makes it kind of powerful at the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.