Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Ruff
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Quoting from the rulebook:

"For the result, the STR (Strength) and INT (Intelligence) values of both creatures must be compared. The creature with the greatest STR and INT values wins the battle. A higher STR or INT value is not necessarily enough... If both creatures have equal STR and/or INT values, then the Battle is a draw."

In trying to decipher the above paragraph, I came up with two possible interpretations:

1. The sum of the attacker's STR and INT are compared to the sum of the defender's STR and INT. Highest total wins, or if the totals are equal, it's a draw. Thus, a Rat (STR 1, INT 5) would beat a Pig (STR 3, INT 2), because 1+5 > 3+2.

2. The STR and INT values are compared individually. To win, an attacker/defender must have both higher STR *and* higher INT values; any other result is a draw. Thus, Rat vs. Pig would be a draw, because the Pig has higher STR but the Rat has higher INT.

On first reading the rules, I thought possibility #1 was correct, but all the BGG reviews suggest that the right answer is #2. Can anybody confirm this?

Also:

"In order to be an Ally, the Allying Creature must be a Neighbor to the defending Creature."

So if my Horse attacks your Pig, only creatures adjacent to the Pig can ally with me?

"If the ATTACKER or the DEFENDER has an Ally, the STR and INT values are added to the Attacking Creature when a Battle takes place."

I assume that allies of the defender actually add their STR and INT values to the defending creature. Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bender
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Example #2 is correct.

The Attacking forces must be stronger (STR) and smarter (INT) then the defenders. Alternately, if the defender is stronger and smarter then they win the contest. If the defender is only stronger or only smarter then the attacker then the contest is a draw.

All allies must neighbor the defender, but each player has a choice of whether to ally with the attacker, defender, or not at all.

And, yes, allies of the Defender add their STR and INT to the defender.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.T. Sloan
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. 2 is correct. You must win in both the Str. and Int. catagories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Bryant
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I played our first game wrong, then. We played such that the combined number had to beat the combined number. Wouldn't forcing the aggressor to beat both numbers individually mean fewer Battle attempts, fewer victories, and therefore much longer session times?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.