Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Carr
United States
Ruckersville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Notes: solo play, up through the end of the first encounter. This was my learning the game session, mainly to figure out rules. Order of play etc..

Setup: rulebook was straight forward in what to do. quite nice

randomly drew a erratic warrior and a sadistically smiling rogue and I knew I was off for some fun.

The first three locations seemed...well... there were lots of options but most requiring shields or heroism to complete.. so I explored a lot... which actually went well in terms of LOOT! and one card even gave me back my time! regardless I was able to level both characters up just in time for the....

exploding tomatoes.

Ok it took me a little bit to get the swing of battle. I overlooked the maneuver card requiring not being surrounded twice. (both times I used the 3 for gaining heroism.) My erratic warrior was quite happy rolling ones! which allowed him to 'tank' and not acquire exposure from hsi erratic trait. and panic attack is splendid! so in general tank he did. he was whittled down to 1 HP by the end of the battle thanks to exploding tomatoes... but his melee attack hits hard.

The rogue was interesting. The level up ability was a =ongoing poison that added 1 dmg for an exposed enemy. I wish it had been 1 dmg per expose token... but alas it did not seem to read that way. Regardless it was fun because the first attack would add and expose the second attack would reveal it and do and extra dmg and and another expose. (pokey pokey go the daggers), lucky rolls and this happened 3 times during the battle which lasted four rounds. Rogue only took 1 dmg the entire battle from an exploding tomato.

I was unsure what the command tokens for the tomatoes were supposed to be, I assumed it was the two exploding versions??

I ended it there as it is very late. Regardless. the game is fun. seems pretty tight. There was lots I wanted to do when exploring and not quite enough time to fit it all in.. The battles seem engaging, thoughtful but still with enough luck involved to make them quite interesting... I hope I'll have time to do a full play-through (at least to hero death) over the weekend.

I initially was worried about re-playability... and randomness. but I think there is plenty. to play with here. Overall the games seems tight, and well balanced. Ill write a review up eventually...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Wilson
Canada
Port Perry
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Thanks for the quick notes Joel. My copy arrived today, and after taking the shrink off, I suffered some buyers remorse (I've bought quite a few games in the last week or so), wondering if I should have waited, etc,etc.

Glad to hear your initial impressions, they made me excited about the game again. Looking forward to trying this very soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Ruckersville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I host a game afternoon for my son and his friends every friday(roughly 4-7 boys ages 12-14) and I begged, pleaded with the 2 that showed to play Assault on Doomrock (AoD), but no, they wanted to continue their descent campaign... not that is necessarily bad... but it descent felt so clunky... and bloated in comparison...I, being the overlord, could not help thinking Id rather be playing AoD and I smited those pesky heroes down yet again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Cinn
Netherlands
Deventer
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear it's arriving on the other side of the ocean. I picked it up in Essen, and I've been having a great time with it. It's one of my favorites at the moment, to be honest. It's streamlined and super fun. As for replayability: a lot of the fun and variation comes from making combinations of characters, abilities and items work well together, so there's more than the initial 3+3+3 encounters suggest.

That being said, I'm really, really, really hoping for an expansion down the line: more Doomrock! Harder Doomrock! Or else for someone to build some cool encounters themselves, which actualy shouldn't be too difficult. You only need AI cards and an encounter card. Hmmm..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.