Chad H
msg tools
Decided on a color and fabricated the rails. I think it turned out pretty well and it's as much fun as BGG led me to believe

Decided to hang her up in the computer room. It's like fine artwork

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Finally finished my Crokinole board
How much did the raw materials cost you? I'm just curious as I'd like to get into crokinole but I'm not going to be dishing out 150-200 for a board anytime soon. I'd definitely spend 50$ on materials and a few months putting it together myself though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work, congratulations!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad H
msg tools
I honestly had just about everything laying around that I needed so the only thing I spent any money on was the hardware and caps for the posts... $2.50, a couple cans of paint $5.00, and I ordered a set of discs online $20.00. Maybe another $25.00 in materials for the board goods if I hadn't had them laying around?? 2x2 isn't quite enough material so would have to buy 4x4 and have some waste.... 3x3 would be perfect I've got a lumber yard with a millwork shop that has a big waste bin you can buy scrap lumber and plywood out of and they always have nice big pc's of birch plywood from cabinetry. I used 2 sheets of 3/4", routed out a 1/4" recess in the base, and routed a 1/4" rabbet in the board so the overall thickness was 1". Set the cork on the base first and the rabbets in the board and rail covered the edges so I didn't have to worry about being too clean initially. Was fun making all the router jigs to get it all put together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have any more pics? Particularly work in progress shots?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Yim
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice job!

If only I were that handy ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
he posted a whole photo essay regarding the building of this board. I just went and checked it and all the pic's have been removed.

Just look at Chad's profile and then click on forum threads that he started you should be able to find the essay part, sans pics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad H
msg tools
keethrax wrote:
Do you have any more pics? Particularly work in progress shots?

Here it is again - Somehow all the pictures in my Photobucket account moved one space and they don't work anymore - I took quite a few so I can give a quick walk through it

Started by making a circle jig for my router to score the lines - just used a v bit set about 1/16" deep and the final cut just used a straight bit to cut the full circle out

the cut a rabbet on the bottom of the board so it could fit down into the base

for the base I used the cutout from the deck as the template - just wanted the overall circle to be about 1/2" smaller than the board

marked points the same distance in from all four corners and used a straight edge as a guide to cut the corners - I wanted the straight sections longer than the corners so you'd end up with a nice large catch area for the discs

then I laid thin cork over the base and glued the deck into the recess - the rabbeted part of the deck set on top of the cork so I didn't have to worry about being clean at all with the edges - also put a little circle of cork in the bullseye

really simple pattern for the bumpers

cut the holes - used inset bolts and cut 1/4" copper tube to size - wanted to be able to remove the bumpers so I could wax the board again if need be - was worried about glueing wood posts in - would have hated to have one snap off at some point and not be able to repair it easily

painted all the score lines gloss white which was a real PITA - don't know if I'd do it again though I think it looks great against the natural birch

had some old scrap wood laying around that I cut into sections roughly 7/8" x 2" - then put a 3/4" rabbet at the base so it would set over the cork the same way the deck did and did a simple roundover front and back on the top - I taped newspaper to the board before I set the rail so it would set on top of the paper - then after I finished painting I just pulled it all out from underneath - holy cow is that carpet groovy

cut all the sections and mitered them which took a good night to get them all really tight - I didn't take a picture, but I used a little ratchet strap wrapped around the rail to pull all the miters tight while the glue dried - just drove one brad through the center of each rail while I got them all set and drove the rest with the ratchet strap on and tight

and then primed and painted with spraypaint after filling all the holes and sanding everything well

and that's all there was to it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa Gilmer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Out of curiosity and lack of knowledge on my part. Do the routered lines interfere with the game play in any way? Logically, it would seem the disks could catch on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad H
msg tools
Not at all. It looked like just about every board I saw when I was looking at different ways of making them had recessed scoring lines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nello Cozzolino
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Brascogames London U.K. www.brascogames.webs.com
mbmbmbmbmb
wow state of art

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sherwood
United States
Arundel
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. Nice work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad H
msg tools
Had some friends over and had the first little Crokinole session. Everyone loved it, but I got schooled... what happened to the home court advantage??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anoni mouse
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Finally finished my Crokinole board - New pic of her hun
sweet Crok board just know I am totally jealous. I only wish I had any sort of wood working skills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.