Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thies Kolln
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife's sister and her husband are in town for a few days, and we've been getting in plenty of gaming so far. Among last night's attractions were two back-to-back games of Pompeji. I had only played twice before, so I didn't have much advantage over the three newbies in that regard. After a quick setup and rules explanation, we started moving citizens into the city. My brother-in-law caught on to the placement mechanics very quickly, and got far more citizens on the board than any of the rest of us. One interesting tactic was to use the Omen cards not to remove a citizen from really close to an exit, but rather to clear a space in a full building for which he had a card. This allowed him at least twice to get 2 or 3 relatives into the city with his next placement. This could obviously backfire if someone else has a card for that building as well, but for buildings that are full toward the end of the stack, this is less likely. Unfortunately for him, the lead in citizens made him a target when the lava started flowing. In the end, I managed to herd more of my citizens to safety.

There was a call for an immediate rematch. We all were a bit savvier with moving citizens in this time, and had similar numbers placed when Vesuvius erupted. I once again got more out the gates safely, however, with 11 to 8 for each of the others.

I really like this game, and everyone else did as well. It is close to impossible not to have a good time playing Pompeji.

I seemed to do quite well at running for safety. I don't think there is a specific strategy in terms of best places to be, as the lava tile draws randomly alter the board. However, I made a few observations on what seemed to work. Feel free to disagree, as I've only played a few times, but here are my tips:

coffee Spread your citizens out -- two or three of one player's citizens on the same square are a lava magnet.

coffee If at all possible, be the first to move off of the central squares that have 3 or 4 citizens to start.

coffee Corollary to the above -- know when to fold 'em. You won't save all your citizens, so be decisive about who gets abandoned and forget about them. Those two lone citizens who got ditched on adjacent squares in the middle of the board are beyond saving, but while your opponents are placing 2 or 3 lava tiles to take them out, you can be rescuing others from the brink of destruction elsewhere.

coffee The more the merrier -- pay attention to who is sharing squares with you as you can usually trust them not to fry your citizen before it comes back to your turn.

coffee Positioning your citizens for exits is fine, but remember that two out the gates is never a bad yield for a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's made me even more interested in this game.

It sounds like the sort of game my family and my casual gamer friends would like. I'm strongly considering getting the English reprint when it comes out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Svein Main
Norway
Joerpeland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
HisDivineShadow wrote:
That's made me even more interested in this game.

It sounds like the sort of game my family and my casual gamer friends would like. I'm strongly considering getting the English reprint when it comes out...

You have to buy it!! It is a very great game. It is quick, and very interesting game, with a lot going on between players. But, it is not a good 2 player game, but a great 3 player, and a unik 4 player. Go for it!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
While it may seem like a good idea to spread out across the city, it might actually be better to place your citizens in only one part of the city.

That way it is easier to get blocked if lava comes your way!

Drew1365 wrote:
I have yet to see a correlation between getting the most citizens into the city and getting the most out. More meeples simply means more targets.

Try not to get the most citizens in the town because your will have more losses. Few citizens are easier to save. But too few and you will still lose the game. So you have to find the right balance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gwen
Belgium
oost-vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mb
And it sure doesn't help you to get a win if the other 2 players (like my kids) make a co-op game of it (all against mum). Whenever one of the kids gets an Omen card, my people will end up in the volcano. Needless to say that I've never been able to win this game while playing with them (but I still love it no matter what).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Boone
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Reading your recent posts has been like dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.
mbmbmbmbmb
sveinmain wrote:
You have to buy it!! It is a very great game. It is quick, and very interesting game, with a lot going on between players. But, it is not a good 2 player game, but a great 3 player, and a unik 4 player. Go for it!!!

I agree, buy it. I agree, great 3 player game, and 4 is good as well. I disagree, not a good 2 player game. It works very well with 2, in fact better than most other 2-4 player games I've played with 2. It becomes a fairly strategic affair, since the only randomness in the escape phase is the draw of the lava tiles, and since only one tile will be placed before your next turn, your ability to look ahead is greater.

One thing I recommend for 2 players, though, is to remove or limit the use of omen cards. If one player draws many more than the other then that's Just Not Fun (tm) for the victim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.