Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the following take will be sacrilege to miniature painters and collectors. The following is also not a criticism of our beloved Fireteam Zero.

As a theme/atmosphere focused gamer, I find myself distracted when miniatures are much larger than the features found within the terrain of map tiles. If a map tile has a vehicle, I would be much more deeply immersed if the miniature's scale was such that it would hypothetically fit in the driver's seat of that vehicle. If a map tile features a room, I would like the miniatures to be sized as if they were able to "fit" in that room just as a 6' tall human would.

Obviously this would take much larger maps or much smaller miniatures than what seems to be traditional. Are there any games that do this? Is it even feasible from a manufacturing standpoint to make itty-bitty miniatures that still have enough detail to seem realistic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plei Forejoy
Singapore
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
Painting all these miniatures is starting to crimp my time...
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombicide
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave D
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought the Mechwarrior miniatures were neat because they made an attempt at scale. The large robots are very big, while the tanks and soldiers took up smaller bases and seemed to be the right proportion.

Most of the terrain I've seen was all player made and to scale so that probably doesn't count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I goofy, or does anyone else have this issue?

As an example, I love Sentinels of the Multiverse card game. I have been tempted to buy Sentinels Tactics, their tactical board game version. But if I ever do, I will not buy the separate miniatures...I will just use the small, flat, round, cardboard character tokens. Why? Because I don't want the miniature of my 6' super hero towering over the streets like Godzilla.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sabbat00 wrote:
Am I goofy, or does anyone else have this issue?

As an example, I love Sentinels of the Multiverse card game. I have been tempted to buy Sentinels Tactics, their tactical board game version. But if I ever do, I will not buy the separate miniatures...I will just use the small, flat, round, cardboard character tokens. Why? Because I don't want the miniature of my 6' super hero towering over the streets like Godzilla.

But in that case it is probably NOT intended as tactical representation of a (fight) scene, just as an abstract general indication of the part of the city hero is in. See Arkham Horror for something similar IMO.

Edit: "NOT" added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, no doubt. It is a representation of the abstract. Being a fan of Talisman, I am familiar with that concept...and it doesn't bother me in Talisman.

I think the difference is in the way a game sells itself, and how it incorporates map features into the game play. Talisman never pretends to include a detailed map of the terrain/country-side/city-scape. It never needs you to interact with terrain features as part of your game play, tactics, or strategy.

Anyway, your point is valid....and it really is just a silly "me" problem. I mean what? I can believe that a tentacled, slobbering, 3 headed fiend made of plastic is attacking me, but I can't get over the fact that victim miniature seems larger than a tree in game scale?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corky Boucher
msg tools
This sounds (to me at least) like a great opportunity for you to make a scale board for missions

that would look sick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Langlois
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
We actually use both kinds of maps: the outdoor ones are the 'figure indicates where you are in the world' type of thing, where the indoor maps are to scale with the hero figures.

We wanted to combine large locations (a chunk of forest or part of a town) for a more tactical feeling, but also let the missions take you into tight quarters and dump monsters on you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave D
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MJLanglois wrote:
We actually use both kinds of maps: the outdoor ones are the 'figure indicates where you are in the world' type of thing, where the indoor maps are to scale with the hero figures.

We wanted to combine large locations (a chunk of forest or part of a town) for a more tactical feeling, but also let the missions take you into tight quarters and dump monsters on you

Great idea! Sort of a world map vs tactical map concept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Name
msg tools
mbmbmb
I've never really noticed this before... but I'm sure I won't be able to unsee it in games now >_
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind the wrong scaling. It's just a game, not real-life simulator
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Ruckersville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
as for scale what size are the hero miniatures out of curiousity?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.