Subject: No warrior no party? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonio Cennamo
Italy
Crispano
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello there all of you Descenters. I'm currentl playing my first campaign as OL against a 3 heroes team, this composed : a Healer,a Mage and an Explorer. When they choose the heroes, they mostly choose 'em "random" , trying just to not take twice the same class. So they ended up picking no warrior cause nobody wanted to play it.
Now, in a couple of the act I scenarios, they lost mostly because nobody of em 3 had a good strenght point to face the strenght test (SUch as Death on the wings scenario where they couldn't remove rocks, and the interlude I, where they couldnt open the main door near to the river. This said, they asked me to restart the campaign cause, if they game keeps going on like these and their chance are lowered scenario after scenario cause they have no warrior, it's quite pointless. I couldn't argue, but i can't believe that non-picking a warrior can be this forcing, since the game is made even for less players games. Is it just me? Just a bad team? Or simply it's true that a warrior in the team is needed no matter what?
Enlighten me guys. They are , for sure, not heavy players but they are getting into and they don't really make big mistakes in the last plays we had, but the strenght- tests are really a pain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading what you wrote it seems your heroes are not exactly missing a warrior, but a hero with at least a mediocre strength value. There are a few non-warriors with a good strength stat, but if you just own the base set, I can see why you are having problems, as there are no non-warriors with more than 2 strength. This can indeed cripple you in some scenarios.

Now, what can you do in your current campaign? Probably not much. You could try to get the lucky charm, to reroll attribute tests, but since you already played the interlude, the heroes either already have it or it is gone.

To fix this problem in the next campaign the only answer is either a) pick a warrior or b) expansions. There is in armor in the "Labyrinth of ruin" expansions which provides +1 stength and +1 awareness and there is also a scout with 3 strength.

The conversion kit provides 48 heroes, and I´m sure there are non-warriors with good strength values, but the downside is, that there are no minis included.

So yeah, I can see why your heroes are struggling, but unfortunately there is no easy solution for this(other than to pick heroes based on a balanced stat distribution when starting a campagain).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Cennamo
Italy
Crispano
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DelphiDie wrote:
Reading what you wrote it seems your heroes are not exactly missing a warrior, but a hero with at least a mediocre strength value.

So yeah, I can see why your heroes are struggling, but unfortunately there is no easy solution for this(other than to pick heroes based on a balanced stat distribution when starting a campagain).

Yeah, as i said they picked mostly "for fun" and then we all realized that wasn't a good idea. By the way, we are gonna start all over again, even though, i love this game and foud difficult that nobody during the design noticed that: It's not a big deal and the game is still very good, specially for neofites, but it's not cool to force the players into" Choose something", I would have expected more something like a getaway (like in the Eliza farrow's scenario, where you can open a door with strenght or lucidity if i remember good: that would have been a good option )

Anyway, I'm considering aswell taking a small expansion since we have still the base campaign to do and it looks already quite various, also because this game gives addiction. I played it like 3 times in 4 days

Thanks for the answer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually employ the - fairly common - house rule to let the side that lost the last quest decide which one would be the next. It's a sort of mild catch-up mechanism that could also save the day in situations like these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been up against a four-hero team with no Warrior (one Healer, one Scout, and two Mages), and I got beaten pretty badly. The party did have relatively low Might, but it didn't have a huge effect on the campaign. However, this was a Labyrinth of Ruin campaign, so the balance of necessary attribute tests might be different.

Some quests (like Death on the Wing E1 or Masquerade Ball E2) hinge on having a reliable hero for Might checks. Most don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
I have been up against a four-hero team with no Warrior (one Healer, one Scout, and two Mages), and I got beaten pretty badly. The party did have relatively low Might, but it didn't have a huge effect on the campaign. However, this was a Labyrinth of Ruin campaign, so the balance of necessary attribute tests might be different.

Although we did have Lindel with a Lucky Charm, which is basically a 5 in all stats. (I hate playing against Lindel. sauron)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nonje wrote:
DelphiDie wrote:
Reading what you wrote it seems your heroes are not exactly missing a warrior, but a hero with at least a mediocre strength value.

... I would have expected more something like a getaway (like in the Eliza farrow's scenario, where you can open a door with strenght or lucidity if i remember good: that would have been a good option )

Anyway, I'm considering aswell taking a small expansion

I would recommend The Trollfens expansion because it comes with a Healer (Augur Grissom) who has 4 Strength! That would solve your problem, and also he's a very interesting character/class (The Prophet) to play.

Also, you as the OL have the ability to do what you mention above, for instance to offer the heroes 2 different tests as an option instead of making only a Strength test. Yes it does bend the strict rules a little bit, but in your situation of "no warrior" it would make the game work better. Perhaps if you give the players a small advantage somewhere, you could also then take a small advantage for yourself somewhere else.

At our LGS we've been playing this game steadily for more than two years now, and nobody ever seems to want to take a break from it. Glad to see that people are still discovering it for the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero synergy can make a huge difference in this game. Picking the right team will make it easier for the heroes (More fun? well that depends on what you like). I don't find it game breaking merely, makes it more challenging if the heroes don't complement each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.