Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Shanahan
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This variant works off the idea of allowing all members of a given die color to split the roll of a die--like rolling an 18 on the d20, and having your three receivers each run 6 spaces downfield like a pattern.

With this variant, on any roll, half of the roll can be distributed to any number of players in any position up to their total movement allowance.

For example, on a d20 roll of 20, 10 points of that can be split between the other players. So one receiver moves 10 spaces; one safety moves 4; another moves 2; and a tackle lumbers along 4 into a defensive position.

Or, on that same roll of 20, one receiver moves 5; another moves 5 as well; the safety could move UP TO 10, but not his full allowance of 12.

As with normal movement, not all of the roll has to be used. This can be helpful in bringing up defensive players to block for a receiver or safety.

At least one player whose position corresponds to the rolled die must move at least one space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a similar idea, which of course I think is even better :

Roll one of each color die, then move one player for each die rolled (if available). The only problem is the yellow dice, of course. I suppose you'd have to announce ahead of time if you're rolling both and moving "the big guy".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know why I'd ever move anyone other than the receivers. My heavy tackle would be rocketing down the field!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Shanahan
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the tackle couldn't move more than a total of 6 spaces. No piece can move more than its normal full allowance. But I guess this variant wuold allow for them to always move 6, if one was so inclined.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting concept, but it seems way too imbalanced.

Each person would always roll d20 for movement. Why would one ever roll anything else? Also, toward the end of a half, exploiting the holes in the defensive line is always the goal. With so many potential receivers running downfield, the "steamroller" effect would kick in big-time. Whoever got the ball toward the end of the half would be almost certain to score with it.

Ultimately, this variant seems to give a huge advantage to offense, and handicap any attempts at defense. A better variant might be to only allow one of the selected figures (perhaps the one whose die was rolled) to advance forward from their current position, while the other figures can only use their movement points to move laterally and/or backward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Beljo
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a modified version of the short dice variant of civet5285.
Roll one correspending dice for all players on your field at the same time. Lowest die has to move first. Tackles/Blocks will be resolved before the next player can move.
I use the pass die (D6) for the movement of the Tackle.
If two dice have the same value both player move simultan an can block/tackle together (Teamwork). Roll tackle as usual but choose which die u want to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul McKenzie
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a great variant, one I'm anxious to try at my next attempt. The lowest die moving first and the tackle resolution makes the moves more strategic. I assume that if someone rolled "triples" or more, than the three players could all have their tackle results determine simultaneously?

Great food for thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.