Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonas Björklund
Sweden
Lerum
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rating model today focuses solely on the playability factor.
So if a game has a high ranking on BGG it's a game that "you always want to play and this will never change".
I was wondering in the terms that I think there is one factor that is missing, and that is how well thought the game is, mechanics well woven into each other, tense and magic gameplay etc.

Having this rating together with the playability factor would give a more valid input to other gamers.
Example:

Age of steam.
This game have I rated as a 9. This is solely on the mechanic, tense gaming, theme and fun. This is not the same for me as playability. This game would get a low rating in that category as I really like to play AoS when in the right mode. I would never want to play this every time my gaming group gets together

On the other hand.

Mississippi Queen.
I rated this as a 7. This on the other hand will get a higher playability rating as this is an easier game to play, and I'm not relating this to how heavy the game is, as there may be heavy games with a high playability rating.

So in my rating it would look something like this:

Game / BGG Rating / My playability Rating

Age of Steam 9/4
Mississippi 7/7

By showing this two figures together it would give a more correct value for each game, and thus making it a lot easier when you are thinking on buying more games.

Any comments on this. Other thoughts, ideas??

Jonas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Landes
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's probably about 1% of the people on BGG that pay enough attention to ratings to be able to separate the two values.

Plus pretty much everyone attaches a different meaning to the actual number. Something you'd entirely expect in an unmoderating rating system with thousands of contributors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Björklund
Sweden
Lerum
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basilius wrote:
There's probably about 1% of the people on BGG that pay enough attention to ratings to be able to separate the two values.

I must disagree on this as there have been several discussions about this issue.
I think that the rating system on the geek is one of the most central functions there are. Together of course with many others.

Quote:

Plus pretty much everyone attaches a different meaning to the actual number. Something you'd entirely expect in an unmoderating rating system with thousands of contributors.

This you can say is a Bell distribution, meaning that there will always be people who judge games in an off the meanstream values.

Of course will the broad mass give each game a proper rating.

If we entered another rating so we have two ratings. This would give the Geek-world a finer tuned system to judge on different games.

One for game quality (theme, mechanics, quality, etc) and another one for playability (todays scoring ground)

//Jonas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.