Burke Glover
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
Well, it seems that foreign language reviews and session reports are being approved left and right now. Is there any fair way to moderate these? I've been declining them, because I can't accurately judge their quality, or if they are even reviews at all. Because this is an English language website, I can't understand how these things are getting approved. Do we really have that many Portugese speaking mods?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Yet another geekmod conundrum: foreign language submissi
I usually decline them. If I cannot read them, then I don't believe they should be one this site. This is an "english" speaking site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gwen
Belgium
oost-vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Maybe you should also take a look at this thread : http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1069339#1069339

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just been skipping them, just like any other item I can't figure out. While it would make sense if only those who can read them approve them, what's the problem with other language items?

Rich

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kjetil Fjellheim
Norway
Ask√ły
Hordaland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I skip reviews that I cannot read. If they are in a language I understand I will read them and then decide to either accept or reject them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really mod reviews, but you can always try using Babelfish for a quick and dirty translation.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I usually decline them. If I cannot read them, then I don't believe they should be one this site. This is an "english" speaking site.

Considering that most of the games on this site are foreign or foreign derivatives, your approach is very short-sighted and just plain wrong. There are enough online translators out there to usually make good-enough sense of non-English submissions. Some of the best information obout Dungeon Twister, a favorite of mine, has come from French language posts and (merde! ) I'd hate to have that type of valuable resource cut off simply because of foreign-phobics. shake

Besides, learning another language is good for increasing your brain power, which might make you a better gamer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:

Considering that most of the games on this site are foreign or foreign derivatives, your approach is very short-sighted and just plain wrong. There are enough online translators out there to usually make good-enough sense of non-English submissions. Some of the best information obout Dungeon Twister, a favorite of mine, has come from French language posts and (merde! ) I'd hate to have that type of valuable resource cut off simply because of foreign-phobics. shake

Besides, learning another language is good for increasing your brain power, which might make you a better gamer.

That isn't the point. The point is that this is an English speaking website. Yes the world is full of valuable information in other languages, but to make this website useful to the English speaking community then it's content must be in English. There are other websites like spielbox.de(in German) and that's the target audience. So yes, I will continue to deny any content that's not in English here on BGG. I have no need to learn another language, not the time or desire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
I skip them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Although I'm able to read most foreign language reviews (or at least figure out what the writer's opinion of the game is), I've been declining non-English reviews because BGG is an English-language site and I don't see the point of adding content that is incomprehensible to the vast majority of BGG users.
Nevertheless, thusfar all non-English reviews I declined were approved by others and were, therefore, accepted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

While most of the content on this site is in English, other languages are completely welcome. Please do NOT decline contributions because they are in a foreign language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
Please do NOT decline contributions because they are in a foreign language.

O.K. if that's the official BGG policy I'll judge them by the same standards as English review. (That is if they're not written in Thai, Urdu, Xhosa, or some other language I cannot read.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Penner
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe there can be a new heading added to the Modding area (and subsequently to the game entries) for Foreign Language Submissions. This way there is some organization to different languages, and you wouldn't have to click on the Mod tab for them. This may make everyone happy.

For my part I just skip them, as I am in no capacity to mod another language.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
That isn't the point. The point is that this is an English speaking website.

Says who? If it's an "English speaking website" defacto, then why list game names in their native languages? I think you are assuming too much (and you doth protest too much!). Just 'cause the physical site is based in the US doesn't make it English-only, especially when the content it's drawing from is anything but. If you want English-only then kindly remove all those foreign-language-named games from the database. See what a can of worms you'll open with a pronouncement that we're "English only" here? Bah! Humbug!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Alhoewel ik best bereid ben bijdragen in andere talen dan het Engels te beoordelen, heb ik sterke twijfels in hoeverre dat zinvol is. De overgrote meerderheid van de gebruikers van BGG beheerst alleen het Engels en heeft dus niets aan die anderstalige bijdragen. Voor de beeldvorming en discussie over spellen zijn anderstalige bijdragen daarom ongeveer even nuttig als deze opmerkingen in het Nederlands in deze specifieke discussie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What he said (nods vigorously).

(You weren't asking for money,were you?)

I simply skip reviews I can't rate the quality of; I do OK with English and German, and can sometimes get through Dutch(though no often!). I won't simply accept them with a 3, either, since I rate reviews purely on form rather than content (that is, I don't feel I'm there to pass judgement on whether the writer likes or dislikes a certain game, just how well he or she expressed it). I think the risk of penalizing an excellent review simply because of my educational shortcomings is too high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gwen
Belgium
oost-vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ach Lajos, ik vind het eigenlijk wel tof om af en toe ook eens iets in een andere taal tegen te komen hier. Maar je hebt natuurlijk wel gelijk dat het gebruik van een andere taal dan het Engels maakt dat de betrokken bijdragen slechts voor een beperkt deel van de BGG-ers begrijpbaar zullen zijn.

Ik veronderstel dat deze anderstalige bijdragen vooral bedoeld zijn voor mensen die het iets moeilijker hebben om Engels vlot te lezen. Je zou kunnen redeneren dat ze dan beter websites opgemaakt in hun eigen taal kunnen bezoeken, maar het lijkt me dat er maar weinig websites zijn die kunnen tippen aan BGG qua volledigheid.

Mij stoort het niet in het minst en wat ik niet versta sla ik gewoon over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Glover
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
Re: Yet another geekmod conundrum
But it is an English website. The fact that some of the games are in foreign languages makes no difference, because the point of the site is to provide information on those games in English. As soon as a game is released in English, its title in the database is changed appropriately. The site isn't supposed to be about teaching English speakers to read foreign languages, regardless of any benefit to our brain power. It's supposed to be about providing information on games. I don't expect to be able to understand German websites, and I wouldn't try to change them by insisting they accept English reviews.

All that is sort of beside the point. If the admins wish it, BGG could become an international, multilingual thing. But as a mod, I don't see why I should approve something that I can't read. At the very least, these materials should be submitted in a different way and reviewed by a trusted Admin who speaks the language. This would insure that the foreign material passes at least some rudimentary quality standard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
HBGlover wrote:
All that is sort of beside the point. If the admins wish it, BGG could become an international, multilingual thing. But as a mod, I don't see why I should approve something that I can't read. At the very least, these materials should be submitted in a different way and reviewed by a trusted Admin who speaks the language. This would insure that the foreign material passes at least some rudimentary quality standard.

To this I agree. The majority of foreign-language reviews seems to be either spanish of portugese: select someone with a proven track record and fluent in those languages, and have him approve those reviews. Such an admin wouldn't be exactly swamped, so personal approval is more than feasible. Some of the other suggestions (special queue for non-English contributions) are very workable and logical too.

However, I draw the line at reviews and session reports; the rest has to remain English.

(By the way, for those heathens amongst you who have no clue of the exalted language known as 'dutch', you weren't made fun of in those two preceding comments---they were to illustrate the point of the complete non-information from intermixing various languages in discussions.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HBGlover wrote:
But it is an English website. The fact that some of the games are in foreign languages makes no difference, because the point of the site is to provide information on those games in English.

cymric wrote:
However, I draw the line at reviews and session reports; the rest has to remain English.

HBGlover wrote:
If the admins wish it, BGG could become an international, multilingual thing.

As I understand the setup, the admins here are pretty careful to distinguish between their personal opinions, and the Word From On High. When they're speaking "ex cathedra", they're running the site as the owners have said they want it run, not acting on their own initiative. So when Daniel says:

dakarp wrote:
Please do NOT decline contributions because they are in a foreign language.

it indicates to me that that's official policy rather than his personal feelng on the matter. Regardless of what he, I, you, or Matt Lauer happen to think about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Please do not take my quote out of context, it is pretty obvious what I meant with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edited.

My apologies; I had thought you were saying that reviews and sessions were on the English side of the line. With your correction, it is indeed obvious what you were saying. Sorry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Ketchum
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I skip foreign language reviews. Now I have half a mind to auto accept them at 1gg because I don't agree with dumping them solely because I cannot understand them.

It really comes down to this. Does having quality foreign language reviews diminish my enjoyment of the geek? No. Does it improve the enjoyment for others? Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about autoaccepting at 3GG (par) rather than 1GG (barely acceptable)? I'm tempted to autoaccept at 5 to make up for the declines (which seem to be a 0GG vote).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Venezuela
Caracas
Distrito Capital
flag msg tools
If anyone is interested I can help with spanish submissions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.