Luke Westberg
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Try the Sixex puzzle app on Android!
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of dealing random development cards to players, the players will now have to compete for the best cards and combos.

Separate development cards of each value (5, 8, 11, 14) equal to the number of players into face-up stacks. Players may buy a development card of their choice on their turn.

Players can still only own one card of each value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lanistae wrote:
Instead of dealing random development cards to players, the players will now have to compete for the best cards and combos.

Separate development cards of each value (5, 8, 11, 14) equal to the number of players into face-up stacks. Players may buy a development card of their choice on their turn.

Players can still only own one card of each value.

Oh - interesting.

This could work well, I guess, if people know what the cards are... otherwise it may lead to a degree of AP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I brought up a similar suggestion in Blind buying of development cards
Here's a couple of variant concepts I want to try.

Drafting Technology cards:Based on a suggestion from JonGetsGames Black Fleet review, I am thinking shuffle one more technology card than the number of players for each of the four cost values. Then each player chooses his tech card, leaving two cards for the last player to choose from.

So Player 1 would start with the 5 doubloon cards, then pass the remaining cards to other players. Player 2 would get first pick of the 8 doubloon cards and pass the remaining cards on, etc. You could also randomize which tech cards type the first player starts with.

Auctioning (?) technology cards: Instead of dealing out the technology cards divide them into four face down stacks by cost value. Then turn the top card face up on each stack. When a player is ready to purchase technology they must choose from one of the face up cards. After a card is purchased turn the next card in the stack face up. So does a player wait until a better card in a given stack shows up or do they purchase the the top card so they buy all as soon as possible?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Westberg
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Try the Sixex puzzle app on Android!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't recommend trying this unless everyone had played the game before. I was just thinking of games like Caverna where all the options are out there for everyone to fight over.

Yeah, I think the auctioning sounds fun as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
Lanistae wrote:

This seems like a bad plan. Once I start to win, I can cherry-pick development cards (and synergy between them), snowballing my advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.