BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: How to successfully approach a LGS about having a game night rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lisa Gilmer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I have recently gotten into board games. Thanks to BGG. There is a new gaming shop that opened up nearby that has the miniatures, some board games, D&D stuff. They do have the large tables so I assume they have wargaming there.

How does one approach a local gaming store to host a game night? What things could I do to convince this store to do this? Would I be technically the host and be responsible for bringing folks in?

If I was to approach this shop, I would be willing to post online in various places, put it in my neighborhoods newsletter and probably some other communities too. I'm not sure how good fliers would do, but safe to say, there are some options. I'd be willing to commit to it to try to get it off the ground, even act as a point of contact. If they have a website, I'd happily handle a portion of it to promote the gaming night, etc.

I've joined a local gaming group but no one has actually played any games on nights when I can attend. (I work 3 nights a week) There isn't really one that is local to my immediate area (huge residental area) and the only shop sponsored gaming night is about an hours drive away from me. I know that I would rather pop into a shop than wander up to someone's house, especially if I'm curious, rather than fanatical.

I've checked our counties recreational activities and beyond bridge, there is nada.

There is a chain gaming store also in the area, although a bit farther away that again, focuses on wargaming. They say they want to get more into the board gaming as their other store is the one that hosts a game night. Although both times I have been there to say the shop is dark is an understatement, I would swear it is a CSI episode waiting to happen. It also isn't very tidy, which rather detracts from the products.

So tell me folks, how did you do it? If you own a shop, what convinced you? What advice can you give me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talk to the owner/manager and make arrangements. While I'm sure that every store has their own policies, I'm also sure that all owners love potential customers IN the store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: How to successfully approach a LGS about having a game n
Sal M wrote:
I'm also sure that all owners love potential customers IN the store.

I'm certain you would lose that bet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Johnson
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgaming BAH! that takes up to much space, how about a nice game of magic?
that is the short story that i got from my local FLGS. so now i spend my money online. they have boardgames, they just don't want people to play them in their store.

btw good luck to you.

i like gaming at someones house better then a store.

stay well,

jj

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eaton-Salners
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I the only person who read the title as "How to successfully approach an LDS about having a game night"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mitnachtKAUBO-I wrote:
Am I the only person who read the title as "How to successfully approach an LDS about having a game night"?

I eventually figured it out, but one of my first guesses when trying to figure out the acronym was, "Isn't that a Mormon?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa Gilmer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Hey, if the Mormons will let me play games, I'm in!

I'm getting desperate here!

I did check our local library, but the branch here is very small and the meeting space is pretty much always taken and it tends to close pretty early. I'm not sure how hip they would be to blocking out hours of time. Then again, they are planning a new branch that will be huge and have tons of meeting rooms.

I'm trying to picture walking into a church with Zombies!!! or War On Terror or any other remotely controversial subject matter games, Busen Memo anyone?

The funny thing? I'm a poker dealer. We have 45 gaming tables and all these freaks want to do is play poker! BLEH!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Carpenter
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently approached a store about a Euro games night. The owner was really into it and didn't need much explanation about what Euro games are even though the store is mostly books and RPG stuff. All he wanted to know is if we would get a decent number of people every time, and if we would have it open to the public. They also have reserved tables that you can pay for if you want to play with just your friends.
I gave him some internet links (BGG Hot Games first of course!) so he could find out what to order for the store. Anyway, we meet every other Wednesday, and on the other Wednesdays, it's more traditional board games (Apples to Apples, Scrabble, etc) so if you live in an area that has interest for both a Euro group and a traditional group, you might want to have that in mind before talking to the store, or be flexible enough to have just a "board game night."

It also helps if you bring brownies. Everyone likes brownies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Meeple
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Store owners are in business to make money. Put yourself in their shoes and get creative.

As a small business owner, I would certainly want to see a game night effect my bottom line in the long run, even if I am currently using the space for other types of gaming events. Think of it from the owner's point of view. Extra overhead, salary, and possibly insurance issues have to be factored in. You mention approaching the store as the first step. I would rather see you find the PLAYERS first, and then go looking for a place to play with a firm and growing group in hand. You'd be surprised how many people will commit up front, but then find it inconvenient to actually come to a group, so having some meetings in a rented room or someone's home first would probably give you a sense of how many people are really going to stick with it. You don't want the embarrassment of setting something up and having it just fizzle out on you and the store owner.

As a business owner, theoretically I would also want to know if the players are going to BUY anything from me on a regular basis. You might suggest the players agree to purchase their games there, even if they cost a bit more than they cost on the net. Point out that it would be worth it to both your group and the owner. Ask the owner if the store could provide cold drinks and snacks for sale (and then encourage everyone to buy them). Put up sign up sheets, collect funds and then ask the owner to order games you know many people in your group would like to purchase but the owner doesn't carry.

In other words, do whatever you can do to make it seem like it won't cost the store much and might possibly be a money-maker in the long run. It doesn't necessarily have to make a profit for the store, but taking on something like this has to at least seem like it has long-term potential for bringing in new customers and making additional sales to be worth the bother.

Initially you could treat your group as a club if you wanted to, take dues and use the money to advertise to get new players, or use the manpower to hand out flyers (be careful of postal codes). If you get a store involved, have them include the group's event schedule in their normal advertising, but you should not have to pay for their ads unless your group decides they want to.

Find the people, create the schedule and get commitments from the group to show up, actually test whether they will or not, and then go looking for the store that will suit your needs. I've never put a group like this together (but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night). However, I have been a brick and mortar business owner, as well as an internet business owner, so I guess I see it from that point of view.

Just my two cents on a number of issues, but I hope it gives you some ideas you can use. Now comes the post from the guy who HAS done this which says I have it all bass-ackwards, lol....laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this with two different LGS's... as others have indicated, "show me the money", and the money is not in Euro style boardgames. Magic, CCG's, mini's, is where the bread and butter is for a LGS, and I can't blame them.

A 3rd LGS advertised Thursdays as being Settler's of Catan game night... a friend and I went only to find folks (kids) playing killer bunnies or something like that... was able to get a game of Settler's going with one of the owners, and some kid. First we found ought the owner didn't know the correct rules, and 2nd, the kid and the owner were making sweetheart trades.

If you are looking for a public place to play, I would try your local Border's Bookstore, cafe area. I had started up a group that still plays there to this day at least 3 years later. Only problem is they kick you out promptly at closing time (11pm, at one point they reduced hours and closed at 10pm).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.