Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I live in north/central Illinois, and there is a game group that periodically gets together here, and conventions now and then... but sadly, as much as I've tried to get an 18xx game in over the years, I've found absolutely no interest in it. None. Zero. Zip.
This makes me very sad.

Out of curiosity are there any groups within a few hours of here that occasionally get together for a day of 18xx-ing that you guys know of?

Pretty sure I'd be willing to drive for a couple of hours or so to spend a Saturday playing 1830 or something if given the chance...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a group in Chicago that plays ALL THE TIME. I don't think they stop. Ever. If they see this, one of them will probably chime in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Skirvin
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
/Hi there!/ *Yeah, we're still around*
badge
<FISH><
mbmbmbmbmb
I should really get over to that group too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark G.
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a group of players in western Michigan (Holland / Grand Rapids area). We host Saturday and weekend events several times throughout the year. I have a Google group we use to organize those plays. Send me a PM, if you want me to add you to that group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also try asking on the 18xx mailing list.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/18xx/info

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play the second Saturday of the month...
18xx in Des Moines IA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions - Chicago area I could probably do if they game on the weekend and I can track them down. IA and MI might be a bit too far to be realistic for something like that. Probably need something within the "triangle" between Chicago/Milwaukee/Quad Cities.

Sending the question out to that 18xx mailing list would probably be a good idea too - I'm actually already subscribed though I tend to ignore most of the emails since it tends to focus on really technical/minute aspects of play that I'm personally not that interested in...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kenel
United States
New London
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve, it may very well be too far for you but there is a group that plays at least once a month in SE Iowa. I can send you more specifics if you're ever interested in joining us. Best of luck with finding a local group!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadoglare wrote:
Pretty sure I'd be willing to drive for a couple of hours or so to spend a Saturday playing 1830 or something if given the chance...

You'll need to find out what's "hot" in the 18xx world. 1830 ain't it. Right now, it's 1817, 1862, 1880 and 18OE (among others) - you should be able to find rules for all of those here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
More useful might be to look at how many people played what at CGRC a few weeks ago (according to Bruce Beard):

18Dixie - 24 different players
1817 - 22
1846 - 21
18NY - 12
1880 - 11
1861 - 11
OE - 10

That said, my last score 18xx plays have all been prototypes (My toy had its second bankruptcy in 3 years yesterday! Exciting!), so I'm rapidly falling out of touch myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
β€œIt's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
JC, do you have any news on 18Dixie?

I played a prototype many years ago in Essen at the Winsome booth, but never heard of it afterwards. The BGG entry says "2015" - do you have more information?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just some pictures of the game as produced by DTG, some of them being the game as played at CGRC, along with strong indication that it will join DTG's stable soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Berry
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yuglooc wrote:
You'll need to find out what's "hot" in the 18xx world. 1830 ain't it. Right now, it's 1817, 1862, 1880 and 18OE (among others) - you should be able to find rules for all of those here.

I think that depends on which players you find. The latest titles create the most chat on the forums because they're new, but some groups keep on playing older titles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Indeed. I know of two groups that play 1870 35+ times a year, and have done so ever since it was published.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.