Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody big into escalation matches? I'm trying to find some statistics on the escalation meta. My FLGS is having an escalation tournament and I have never played in one of those events. We are doing it slightly different though. Instead of 4 rounds, we are doing 3 at 60/100/150 points.

The build rules I'm thinking of are...

For round 1, use your "closers" like Luke, Soontir, Whisper, Echo. Ships that really tear apart players when it's down to the last couple ships.

Round 2, add in some firepower.

Round 3, add in support. Support ships get more and more valuable as the point total increases. For example, Biggs at 150 points has more ships he's protecting. Or Captain Kagi, he can be a pain in the ass.

So what's the verdict, who do you run with? What's a good strategy to go with when list building? Should I use up all my points at each stage or "bank" some to get some big fat ship?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:
For round 1, use your "closers" like Luke, Soontir, Whisper, Echo. Ships that really tear apart players when it's down to the last couple ships.

... Fat Han ...

(another option is 5 Academy TIEs / Bandits, but they have more tough matchups, like Fel or Whisper or anything else that can reposition with PS > 1)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Kropf
United States
Brownsville
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I cannot not not not not not not not not not not not not not not tell a lie. But man can I obscure the truth or what?
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed "Fat Han" is REALLY popular for first round of Escalation. That said I never use it, and always try to build anti-"fat han" as my starting group
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhg, fat han ruins everything!!! I did think about fat dash though. Not sure if that makes me any better, lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Voinescu
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Decimators can be interesting as well at the 60pt mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
2x Blue w/ HLC, 2 pts left over, so 1 could be a Dagger.

The end game has always been the "big picture". Taking your 120 and taking away chunks. One of the better Imperials had his Soontir early with just PTL, but by the 120 part had the Mods but added mini swarm during 90pts.

Unfortunately Fat Turrets are a thing ag 60pts, so plan for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
knuckles29 wrote:
2x Blue w/ HLC, 2 pts left over, so 1 could be a Dagger.

The end game has always been the "big picture". Taking your 120 and taking away chunks. One of the better Imperials had his Soontir early with just PTL, but by the 120 part had the Mods but added mini swarm during 90pts.

Unfortunately Fat Turrets are a thing ag 60pts, so plan for that.

I've done the 2x Blues with HLC, one with FCS. In fact, I've seen a mirror match of those in the first round of a miniatures match. But it generally struggles against 5 TIEs or Fat Han or Whisper or Soontir or...

Han can turn/boost out of their arcs and fire back. They'll never have Whisper or Echo or Fel in arc. And unless they drop a TIE per turn (possible, but needs a little luck), 5 TIEs will outlive them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the advise people.

Fortunately my local meta only has 2 C-3pO cards in total and I have 1 of them. So, I don't expect to see a fat falcon. Fat dash on the other hand may be a possibility.

Here's what I decided to go with. I'm not worried about min/maxing my build for this event so I went for something "fun".

FYI, our event is going to be 3 rounds at 60/100/150 points.

60 Point list
Wedge+R2 Astromech
Wes+VI

100 Point list
Wedge+R2 Astromech+Opportunist
Wes+VI
Farlander+FCS+Opportunist

150 Point List
Wedge+R2 Astromech+Opportunist
Wes+VI
Farlander+FCS+Opportunist
Cracken+VI
Biggs+Stealth Device+R2-F2

I had a friend come over yesterday and he brought escalation lists so I could practice. Unfortunately he was running nearly the same thing. Wedge, Biggs, Farlander, Prototype, and 2 Talas.

Round 1 was just a slugfest between 4 X-Wings. Wes was the real MVP. His defenseless Biggs went down quick and finishing off Wedge wasn't hard.

Round 2 we both added Farlander. His with HLC and PtL. He didn't manage Farlander's actions as well as he could have and resulted in some less than stellar shooting. I was able to concentrate on Farlander and take him out by the time his X-Wings were in close range. Then I put my farlander at the front so my opponent's best shot was against my tank. Rest of that match went in my favor.

Round 3 he added the Talas each with ion missiles and the a-wing. I kept everyone together with Biggs at the heart. Forced my opponent to approach through the asteroids or joust with all my firepower. He tried to flank with the a-wing on the far side, talas up the middle, and the other 3 on the head on collision course. Was a good set up for him. I turned a few ships to deal with the a-wing. It went down without a shot fired. Unfortunately, Farlander and Wes got hit with the ion missiles. Wes was stressed and pointing the wrong way (he was dealing with the a-wing). Biggs was just out of range to protect them, oof. Next turn I was able to cause a lot of bumps to have everyone but Farlander in range 1 of Biggs. Biggs had a focus and R2F2 from Cracken and was behind a rock. 5 defense dice even at range 1. Eat your heart out Phantoms!!! I was able to bring his Wedge down to 1 hit remaining and I didn't take any damage. Went well I suppose. Next turn was humorous as both our Biggs and Wedges bumped causing a Wedge/Biggs sandwich of death. My wes took a lot of hits and I completely wiffed on his Wedge. My Wedge must be asleep. My farlander put some hits on his biggs. Next turn he descended on my wes for the kill. I took out one of his talas and finally finished off his wedge. At this point I had Wedge, Biggs, and Cracken at full health and Farlander still had 4 health left. He had a tala, farlander, and biggs. I took out Biggs next and Farlander wasn't too far behind. He conceded and that was it for the night.

I'm wondering how it will run against an inevitable tie swarm. If people bring interceptors it may be hard to keep Biggs alive. Even with 4 evade dice he never rolled more than 2 evades, and once that Stealth Device goes away he'll be in trouble. Avoiding the furball is something I really need to concentrate on. It's ok to have a few ships in the mix, but I need someone on the outside with actions. Putting your fate completely in the dice was awful. Made me think about changing out opportunist on wedge for predator. My high pilot skill was huge. Unfortunately I was facing 2 ps9 ships which made my ps9 wedge less of an impact when I lost initiative, but having Wes and Cracken at ps10 really gave me some opportunities early on. They lose an action and I gain one. Can't argue with that. We'll see how it does Saturday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
I see what you did with R2 and Oppurtunist. But I think that era is over. Either Predator, PTL, or even Engine would be better. Engine because you already have 2 high PS pilots and that may allow good hunting of more maneuverable ships.

EDIT- Awesome synergies though with Farlander, R2, et al. It probably is just my playstyle that is different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
knuckles29 wrote:
I see what you did with R2 and Oppurtunist. But I think that era is over. Either Predator, PTL, or even Engine would be better. Engine because you already have 2 high PS pilots and that may allow good hunting of more maneuverable ships.

EDIT- Awesome synergies though with Farlander, R2, et al. It probably is just my playstyle that is different.
Thanks for the comments. I really like R2 on X-Wings. It gives them the stress shedding of an interceptor which is great. If I don't go for Opportunist, the only real other option for me is Predator. At 150 points there are just so many ships that collisions are inevitable and a lot of ships are losing their actions. Opportunist is great against actionless ships, and neither Opportunist nor Predator require you to have an action. Comes in very handy. Engine Upgrade is always wonderful on Wedge, but again the lack of actions I don't feel like I would get many times to use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
ORS + Gunner + Anti-Pursuit Lasers = 32pts

Terrible is the new black!

Also Arvel with PTL + Proton Rockets = 29pts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.