Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D M
United States
Playa Del Rey
CA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Time to start a Geekgold pool to entice the base set or Heroes Unite variant creators to work out special rules for individual cards and the set as a whole?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan DeLano
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking only for myself, I doubt I'll be buying this one. I love the base set and Crisis for solo play, and I recently bought the LOTR trilogy of deck builders, so I'm working out some solo play rules for that as well.

Hopefully one of the other solo variant-makers here can whip something up for Forever Evil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Praxus wrote:
Speaking only for myself, I doubt I'll be buying this one. I love the base set and Crisis for solo play, and I recently bought the LOTR trilogy of deck builders, so I'm working out some solo play rules for that as well.

Hopefully one of the other solo variant-makers here can whip something up for Forever Evil

My early thinking is that the mechanics need to be reverse for the game controlled player. Since the game is controlling the heroes it's concern is rescuing citizens, capturing villains and maintaining and rebuilding the city.

The Game Ends When One of These Conditions are Met:
1) Aquire 30 VP Tokens (Villains)
2) Steal or Aquire 10 VP Tokens from the Villains (Heroes)
2) Deafeat the Superheroes (usually 8 in solitaire)
3) Superheroes rescue or capture 15 VP worth of Heroes and/or Villains
4) The Line-Up cannot be refilled

The countdown timer mechanic is changed since that is thematically a representation of the execution of a Master Plan by the Super-Villain. Instead of flipping weaknesses it's about how many cards the heroes rescue or capture. (Depending on which solitaire version you prefer...) there is a mechanics where the Super-Villain Executes Their Plan- destroy the card furthest away from the Main Deck then move all cards over one space and add a new card to the Line-up to the main deck.

In this version this step is changed to The Hero Rescues or Captures- Capture or rescue (remove heroes and villains) the cards furthest away from the Main Deck then move all cards in the Line-up over one space and add a new card to the empty space closest to the Main Deck. All cards removed this way are placed at the bottom of the draw deck (rebuilding the City and not destroying it) except for Heroes and Villains. Any Hero rescued or Villain captured (removed from the game) are place in a seperate pile for scoring. If 20 victory points are earned (based on the victory point on their card) the game is over the the Heroes Win.

All cards destroyed by Villains go in the Destroyed Piles.

Instead of Destorying cards from the top of the Main Deck, Heroes in the Line-Up rescue cards from the Destroyed Pile equal to their point value. Those cards rescued cards are placed at the bottom of the Main Deck. Thematically heroes save the city and even help rebuild it. Mechanically heroes should do the reverse behavior as Villains.

A mechanic needs to be created based on First Appearance-Attack or Hero Attacks, that remove and/or steal VP Tokens from Villains to meet winning conditions for the Heroes.

Villains can attack the Main Deck (the city) to remove cards equal to their Power. They can only attack the Main Deck (the city) if their are no heroes in the Line-Up and the Superhero has been defeated. Think of this mechanic as the Villain's version of the Crisis.

Solitaire scoring will also be revamp to fit the theme. It's not just the opposite of the heroes scoring but more thematic to the villains motives and goals.

This is early thoughts based on the theme and mechanics. I haven't playtested these ideas but will try this week and definitely over the holiday.

Feedback, thoughts and contributions are appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Here is more of the polished rules. These are fun to create because it works opposite the heroes. I will be playtesting these over the weekend.

DCDB SOLITAIRE_ FOREVER EVIL:

Choose your Villain(s)(Random selection or choose your favorite)
Game Setup
--Top Row –from left to right:
Set up Weakness cards
Set up the Kick Cards
--Bottom Row – from left to right
Main deck (The City)
5 standard Line-Up card (The City Streets)
Set up Superhero Stack (The Superhero HQ)

Turn Sequence (Difficult/Impossible modes listed)
1) Execute the Master Plan (Play your turn as normal with the following modifications). On your turn you can do 1 of 2 choices.
--Create chaos in the streets
(buy or gain cards from the Line-up)
--Battle the meddling Superhero
(try to buy the Superhero card at the top of the stack)
*Note: When a Hero is defeated, the current player has the option of adding it to his discard pile as normal or remove it from the game.
IMPOSSIBLE- When you gain a Hero from the Line-Up, destroy it. When you defeat a Superhero, remove it from the game.
2) Determine your crime fighting strategies. Discard unused cards and draw 5 new cards from the top of your deck.
3) Superheroes protect the city. The Superheroes rescue heroes and capture villains in the Line-Up by removing the card closest to their stack.
--Capture or rescue (remove heroes and villains) cards furthest away from the Main Deck then move all cards in the Line-up over one space and add a new card to the empty space closest to the Main Deck. All cards removed this way are placed at the bottom of the draw deck (rebuilding the City and not destroying it) except for Heroes and Villains. Any Hero rescued or Villain captured (removed from the game) are place in a separate pile for scoring. If 15 victory points are earned (based on the victory point on their card) the game is over the the Heroes Win. (This is not done on any turn a Superhero has been defeated. No hero can be rescued and no villain can be capture anytime a Superhero has been defeated.)
4) Determine what is happening in the streets. Refill the Line-up to 5 cards.
**If there are more than 5 cards in the Line-up, no cards are drawn.
5) Other Heroes join in the fight to restore order. Heroes protect the city by rescuing citizens and repairing the city (the Main Deck)
--DIFFICULT – Rescue the number of cards from the destroyed pile equal to the highest cost Hero in the Line-up. All rescued cards are placed at the bottom of the Main Deck. Removed cards can never be rescued.
--IMPOSSIBLE – Rescue the number of cards from the destroyed pile equal to the total cost of all the Heroes in the Line-up. Removed cards can never be rescued.
6) The Villains scout a potential new threat to their plan. Flip over a new Superhero and execute their First Appearance-Attack against all players, if needed.
IMPOSSIBLE- Double the cost and victory point for the final Superhero.

The game ends immediately, the scoring and a winner is determined when either of the following 6 conditions are met:
1) All Superheroes in the stack are defeated
2) Unable to refill the Line-Up (The City is destroyed)
3) 15 Heroes and/or Villain cards have all been rescued (The Heroes have successfully foiled the master plan)
4) Aquire 25 VP tokens
6) Heroes have stolen or acquired 10 VP tokens

Score your hand and report to BGG!

SCORING (optional):
Total up the Victory points on the cards in your deck per standard rules.
Super-Villains select their Motive before the start of the game. Gain a scoring bonus if reach the winning condition listed for their Motive selected at the beginning of the game.
+50 additional VP if winning condition reached matches selected Motive.

Channel 52 News (Turning your score into the story)

Thematic Scoring:
150+- Master plan executed flawlessly the heroes were outclassed from the beginning.

120-149- Key points of the Super Villains master plan succeeded but not every detail. The heroes are left still trying to figure out what happened to them.

100-119- The Super Villain's plan didn't succeed but didn't fail. The key conspirators got away and will be back to challenge the heroes again. The heroes seem to come together at the end to prevent the Super-Villain from succeeding.

80-99- The key points of the Super Villain's master plan failed although some details succeeded laying the ground work for the return of the true mastermind of the plot. The Super-Villain was seen leaving the scene screaming explanatives at the hero with promises of returning.

79 and below- The heroes stopped the scheme and captured all the conspirators. The Heroes boisterously brags and verbally scold the Super-Villain in sight of the media. Then later, strikes a heroic posed with a slight pause for the cameras as they leave the scene.

Motives (optional added difficulty)
Motives are what drives the Villain to achieve their master plan. It's their goal and purpose and used as a unique thematic post game scoring/ storytelling device. The heroes purpose is to save to city and capture the bad guys and that's what they are scored on. The Villains are scored accomplishing their goal for the motive.

Vengeance/ Distiguish Oneself- Defeat all superheroes in the stack (minimum of 5) to receive a +25 Victory Point Bonus.
(I.E. Bane, Black Manta, General Zod, Lex Luthor)
Domination/ Control/ Destruction/ insanity- Destroy all cards in the Main Deck to receive a +25 Vicotry Point Bonus.
(I.E. Joker, Doomsday, Black Adam, Lex Luthor, Bizzaro, Sinestro, Red Lanterns)
Greed/ Power/ Followers/ Thrill-Seeker/ Other abstract need to acquire- Collect 25 Victory Point Tokens to receive a +25 Victory Point Bonus.
(Lex Luthor, Brother Blood, Trickster, Sinestro, Black Hand, Neckron)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
This is a link to Motive cards created for the Super-Villains. There is one blank card in the set of 4 to create your own.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yj4bt69t9m896c4/AADGq1vorkmcQ1_pf...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
After playtesting a few times I have made a few updates

1) Attacking the main deck should be an optional option. Attacking the main deck for the Villain is like attempting to solve a Crisis Card for the Heroes.

2) Superheroes Protect the City phase- Superhero does not Destroy or Remove a card they Gain a card. This way the "Superhero Protect the City" can be affected and prevented with the Frozen token.

3) Also once a card is "Rescued/captured" it is not destroy or removed. It is in its own seperate pile that is called "rescued/captured", used for keeping score to end the game and accessible only by a played Superheroe's game text only. (I.E. Superman's ability to use up to 3 destroyed Superpower cards the place them back at the bottom of the main deck. He can use powers from the destroyed pile and/or the rescued/captured pile, players choice). This is a balancing mechanic where the Super-Villains can delay the end of the game (like the heroes putting destroyed weaknesses back on the stack in the other solitaire version). In addition, it doesn't nullify Superheroe's game text.

4) Any card closest to the Superhero stack is "rescued/captured" not just Superheroes and/or Super-Villains as originally written. All card rescued this way go into the "rescued/captured" pile for scoring and use with Superhero powers.

5) "Other Heroes Join in the Fight to Restore Order" phase puts cards at the bottom of the main deck equal to their point value. They never touch the rescued/captured pile. That's reserved for Superhero abilities.

6) Attacks from cards in the Line-Up that steal VP tokens, will remove them from your Super-Villain. (I.E. Catwoman)

7) A list of modified game text for heroes and villains to work better in solitaire will be made.

8) Scoring the game maybe lowered to be comparable with the Heroes Solitaire Variant

9) Destroy vulnerabilities, punches and weaknesses are removed from the game. They are not used to rebuild the city (put at the bottom of the main deck)

My solitaire experience:
I played my first game with the initial rules posted here. I used Lex Luthor the one Super-Villain without a "destroy something" mechanic on his card. He plays more like a hero to me. Anyway, I lost the first game when the Phantom Stranger was rescued (10vp)

My second game using the same character went a little better. I successfully attacked the main deck in a turn. An unusual strategy since your not gaining a card or ability with it but if successful your Super-Villain will win the game. The main deck would have run out if not for the rebuilding mechanic.

I acquired 10 VP tokens but not enough to win the game (still need to see what's a good winning number for that. Would 15 VP tokens be better?).

In the second game, because of the luck of Superhero order, I only defeated 2. The Flash and Superman. Shazam was next and I couldn't get enough power to take him out. I destroyed Flash to take down Superman but couldn't get the same combo to take out Shazam. Even with a hand full of Power Girls.

In both games I didn't score that high. In the second game I only scored 49 points. Even if the thematic scoring was lowered to match the Hero Solitaire Variant I still would have failed miserably and been captured. I have a feeling I'm still playing the Villains too conservatively or maybe it's just the Villain I am using.

I know others like to play "beat the stack and win" but I do like the thematic storytelling scoring. The end game conditions and thematic scoring need to flow better.

Summary
All-in-all, fun, simple and thematic. You get to use the 2-player mechanics and strategies in a solo environment. Playing Lex Luthor is a fun challenge I would love to do again. The Forever Evil Solitaire variant takes as long to play as the Hero solitaire variant. The only time increase comes from having to adapt to the conceptual changes in playing the game (destruction and domination instead of saving).

Next game I will add the Motive Cards to see how that adds a new element of depth and fun to the FE solitaire experience.

(**Note: I played where I removed the location cards from the main deck and placed one random location between each of the 5 random superhero. This way the locations automatically changed when the Superhero was defeated. The next location played immediately destroyed the current location in play.the destroyed location is then placed in the destroyed pile to rebuild the city (put back in the main deck). If in the Line-Up, I could purchased it to replace the current location in play, if I choose. When a new location came out the current location in play (randomly played or played by me) would be destroyed.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Here is a unique way you can combine your Rivals game (confrontation cards included) with the solo game.

Confrontation Rules Stays with Modification
The term Confrontation now refers to Attacking the face-up card on the Super-Villain/Superhero stack not attacking another player. Confrontation text are only used when a Confrontation is declared. Just like in Rivals (which I always play and think it should be a standard in the game) during a Confrontation...
-You must announce a Confrontation at the very start of your turn. You cannot decide to do it after you have played cards.
-When you Confront the Super-Villain/Superhero stack, you cannot buy cards that turn, even if you have left over Power.
-**New Rule** After all cards have been played in a Confrontation, any card with Block text in the Line-up applies effects. Block cards increase the Super-Villain/ Superhero cost to a higher Power total.
-Only Villain cards with Block text can can be applied to Super-Villain cards.
-Only Hero cards with Block text can be applied to Superhero cards.
-Additional cards power cannot be played after Block cards have been applied.
-Increase cost of the Super-Villain/Superhero due to Block cards last until the end of the current turn.
-Cards in the Line-up with Block text that are used in a Confrontation stay in the Line-up until bought or destroyed.

My suggestion is to shuffle the heroes into the Forever Evil deck and the Villains into the Original and/or Heroes Unite. Divide up the Super Powers and replace older equipment cards with Rival cards. Make sure you don't go over the optimal 130 cards suggestion.

With these rules Rivals Oversized Joker and Batman are playable in the regular set.

Enjoy the new variety offered by the Rivals set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.