Popular Tags: flgs [+] uk [+] [View All]
Ed James
United Kingdom
Huntingdon
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just purchased some tickets to see The Lemonheads in Brighton in a couple of weeks.

To make the travel worth my while, I plan to spend the entire day (a Saturday) in Brighton. In case I run out of things to do I'm wondering if there are any decent game stores in the area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amelia Tharme
United Kingdom
Eastbourne
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sadly not. I lived there til 2004 and unless a miracle has happened since I was last there, Brighton is a bit of a drought for games buying. The Secret Games Shop opened briefly a year or two ago, but it was evidently so secret nobody found it and it closed down pretty quickly. It didn't seem that much of a gamers' shop anyhow, mostly puzzles and family games, with a few Euros mixed in. There's a Games Workshop shop but I think that's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Gritt
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David's Comics in Trafalgar Street has a couple of shelves of games. They usually have the newer Days of Wonder, Steve Jackson and Fantasy Flight games in stock, plus Carc, Settlers and their expansions and spin-offs, and a few other staples such as Caylus and Puerto Rico. They also have a large RPG selection. Primarily though it is a comics shop- and one of the best in the country, especially if you're interested in small press and indie publications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Gritt
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if you're interested in HABA games there is an excellent selection (including Akabar) in Potters, which is a traditional toyshop in the Lanes. They've also got Ingenious and all three versions of Blokus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Key
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cggritt wrote:
Also, if you're interested in HABA games there is an excellent selection (including Akabar) in Potters, which is a traditional toyshop in the Lanes. They've also got Ingenious and all three versions of Blokus.

This was going to be almost exactly my comment...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a game selling online shop in Porslade which you could pick up games from. Something like Portland Games. But its gone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cggritt wrote:
David's Comics in Trafalgar Street has a couple of shelves of games. They usually have the newer Days of Wonder, Steve Jackson and Fantasy Flight games in stock, plus Carc, Settlers and their expansions and spin-offs, and a few other staples such as Caylus and Puerto Rico. They also have a large RPG selection. Primarily though it is a comics shop- and one of the best in the country, especially if you're interested in small press and indie publications.

I was in the shop at the weekend and they have moved the boardgames to the other (refurbished) David's Comics (or Books?) shop in Trafalgar Street. It seemed that they had expanded the range a little from the last time I was in. I meant to ask whether they could order other games, but there was a minor drama going on relating to a toy that a child had bought and I was in a rush!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a new Game Store opening in Brighton this weekend.
It's called "Wargamers Heaven" and is in Imperial Arcade.

http://www.wargamesheaven.co.uk/index.php?main_page=page&id=...

The website doesn't look complete yet in terms of stock but it lists all these categories:

Fantasy Miniatures
Sci-Fi Miniatures
Historical Miniatures
RPGs (by game)
RPGs (by publisher)
Board Games
CCGs
Paints and Brushes
Glues
Basing & Movement Trays
Scenery
Tools & Materials
Rules & Supplements
Magazines
Dice
Templates
Figure Cases
Other Gaming Aids
Gift Certificates

Its a big shop, so hopefully will have a decent stock of boardgames. We should try to support it as it would be great to have a proper game shop in Brighton for the long term!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ric
United Kingdom
Hove
Brighton and Hove
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, lets transfer my comments in another thread to this one:

Daydream Nation:
DDN is a small store in the north lanes. Located in Kensington Gardens, to get to it you go into a store called Reload, up their stairs to the right and it's the shop on the left. You can tell you have the right place from the outside by looking for the huge Yu-Gi-Oh wooden cutout (Note that DDN is actually above the shop next door to it's entrance, this is not helpful).

To say it's a small shop may be stretching it slightly. DDN is tiny. 3 or 4 customers make a crowd in there. Yet Jodi (who runs it) is lovely and friendly and usually willing to help.

DDN is primarily a collectable card shop. Most of the trade there is in collectable cards and CCGs. Magic and Yu-Gi-Oh make up most of that. The Magic is the same price as Dave's books, but there is a better collection of singles.

Whilst there's no main trade in board games, Jodi can and will order stuff in where possible, and is good, quick and communicative when doing so. Same for RPG books, although there is a small selection on shelf for passers by.

The shop is fairly well affiliated with the Brighton Warlords group, who meet Tuesday nights for Warhammer and Wednesday nights for Magic in the function room of the King and Queen pub.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
talismancer wrote:
....Jodi can and will order stuff in where possible, and is good, quick and communicative when doing so....

I was looking for some card sleeves for a boardgame last year and I would like to say how helpful they were in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Scrivins
United Kingdom
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1000rpm wrote:
There is a new Game Store opening in Brighton this weekend.
It's called "Wargamers Heaven" and is in Imperial Arcade.

We should try to support it as it would be great to have a proper game shop in Brighton for the long term!

At the moment though, it has no board games in stock, just miniatures, so don't go there with your hopes up.

In spite of this I agree that we should try to support it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Jackson
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I am the proprietor of Dicebay, www.dicebay.co.uk. It is an online shop, but games can be collected from my home in kemptown by arrangement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Oppenheim
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wargames heaven seems to have gone under (at least that is the implication from its face book page
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brucew_o wrote:
wargames heaven seems to have gone under (at least that is the implication from its face book page

Yes it has gone.
Dave's Comics in Brighton continues to grow its boardgames selection though. Prices obviously don't compare with online, but no shipping and you can get instant gratification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Elder
msg tools
badge
1000rpm wrote:
brucew_o wrote:

Yes it has gone.
Dave's Comics in Brighton continues to grow its boardgames selection though. Prices obviously don't compare with online, but no shipping and you can get instant gratification.

May I ask when? It's been a little over since I was last in Brighton but I'm sure I went there then. Nice chaps. One of the younger ones talked my ear off when all I wanted was to browse quietly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Elder wrote:
1000rpm wrote:
brucew_o wrote:

Yes it has gone.

May I ask when? It's been a little over since I was last in Brighton but I'm sure I went there then. Nice chaps. One of the younger ones talked my ear off when all I wanted was to browse quietly.

Wargamers Heaven shut last year sometime.
They were keen to talk - just not about boardgames! They were very much focussed on wargames and warhammer stuff, which was a bit strange as there was already a Games Workshop in Brighton.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Elder
msg tools
badge
Yeah, I found that Games Workshop push a bit odd too.
I hear what you're saying about being keen to talk. Never got any of that "do you need any help today/are you okay?" line that salesmen use not too successfully all over the English speaking world. When there weren't many customers in store my few conversations all digressed very quickly into so many topics I can't recall, none of which actually related to anything I could ever buy in the shop. Very articulate people all of them so I didn't mind quite so much that I didn't have a great conversation exit strategy. Thanks for the reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a new one has just opened:
New store with gaming space in Brighton, Sussex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh. I got my first "real" job after graduating running the third of Dave's stores on Trafalgar Street - the space that used to be Forbidden Planet. He always got hold of remaindered boxes from other retailers, and there were often board and RPG games in there.

Dave himself has been gone a while now (he was quite the character, and it was a shock when he died, even from 3500 miles away) but it always seems the rest of the gang have kept the place running nicely whenever I stop in and say, "Hi".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Yeomans
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I used to go to Yugioh tournaments organised by Jodi a couple of years back! Oh the good old days…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Brown
United Kingdom
Brighton
flag msg tools
Update: Dave's comics is actually a good games shop in my opinion...there was a place called Onslaught down near Hove station but don't go there - it shut a couple of months ago. Still awaiting something new to pop up to take it's place. But if you are coming to Brighton it would be daft not to pop into Dave's. Sound like I might be linked to it but I'm not. I don't even go in there any more as I kept spending stupid amounts of money which I didn't really have. Just order online now.

Different point - there is a very much thriving gaming community in Brighton at the moment. Just pop into the Caxton almost any night and there are games going on including special nights and a lot of different events most of the time all around the city.

Good times!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear Dave of Dave's Comics died, he sometimes offered me a drink while I browsed his CCG singles in the late 1990s.

Always found Jodi from Daydream Nation to be very helpful and friendly too, as everyone has noted.

I usually pop in to both shops in the Lanes when I go to Brighton, which isn't often these days as I no longer live nearby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Grayer
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
2017 update based on a little visit I made to Brighton yesterday.

Dave's Comics on Sydney Street is still going strong and in fact had expanded into a second shop next door called Dave's Books. Dave's Books is where the board game selection lives, and it's prey strong.

The other place I visited hadn't been mentioned yet (probably because it's new) and that's Dice Saloon on New England Road. It's a bit hard to find as it's not on the ground floor and the only clue to its existence is a couple of bits of A4 paper on the front door of an office building, but once you're inside, it's pretty buzzy and there's a lot going on. Most of the space is given over to large gaming tables and a snack bar, but there's a fairly well-stocked shop there as well (if a little higgledy-piggledy).

Those are the two places I saw. I don't think there's any others but I could be wrong...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A hobby store just opened up in Burgess Hill of all places (not really Brighton but a couple of stops on the train.) Mostly miniatures and MTG but they had a small selection of proper board games too.

http://www.shrunkenterra.uk

I'll be interested to see how they fare. I might have been expecting too much but they'd not heard of HABA games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.